Author Topic: WSJ Article: Obama above the law  (Read 964 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
WSJ Article: Obama above the law
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323823004578591503509555268.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Jist being that this president asserts the authority to only enact and enforce laws that suit him for policy purposes; even when he wrote and passed the law in the first place.  I both laugh and weep over the fact we had to wait for a constitutional law professor to get to the point where lip service isn't even paid to following the darn thing.

I can't envision how hard it would be to be an honest and loyal president following this act.  How do you reign in government when its run so far amok that you have agencies actively destroying electronics and only stopping because they ran out of money to pay for the destruction, when fighting malware.  I'm sure there are some great great comparisons from that debacle to our farm bills ect.  This is probably why I shouldn't browse news sights during the work day.  This has definitely put me in the mood for a liquid lunch. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: WSJ Article: Obama above the law
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323823004578591503509555268.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Jist being that this president asserts the authority to only enact and enforce laws that suit him for policy purposes; even when he wrote and passed the law in the first place.  I both laugh and weep over the fact we had to wait for a constitutional law professor to get to the point where lip service isn't even paid to following the darn thing.

Even your first sentence is very telling in our outlook as a society.

You have a subliminal assumption that the POTUS enacts and enforces laws, and enforces those that only suit him.

POTUS is also subject to those same laws.  The article goes so far as to mention Article II, section III, and presidential dereliction of duty (breaking the law of the Constitution!).

Are there any laws that can be used to prosecute violations of COTUS?  Anywhere?

Without such, COTUS is a toothless nag.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
Re: WSJ Article: Obama above the law
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
. . . I can't envision how hard it would be to be an honest and loyal president following this act.  How do you reign in government when its run so far amok that you have agencies actively destroying electronics and only stopping because they ran out of money to pay for the destruction, when fighting malware.  . . .
A mass wave of firings of upper level executive branch managers, commissioners, and agency heads, along with appointment of an AG who'd actually do his job, would be a good start.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain