Author Topic: WTF Department  (Read 1270 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
WTF Department
« on: November 04, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2014/11/03/justice-department-dispatches-poll-monitors-for-election-day/

The Justice Department has dispatched federal poll monitors to 18 states in an effort to prevent voter discrimination ahead of Tuesday’s midterm elections, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced Monday.

The monitors will look for race-based discrimination and inadequate resources for bilingual voters and individuals with disabilities, the agency said in a statement on Monday.

Why do we need resources for bilingual voters? By definition, someone who is lingual speaks two languages. If someone doesn't speak/read English well enough to understand the instructions and to vote in English -- then they shouldn't be voting.

And then there's the unspoken reality that they don't really mean "bilingual," they mean Hispanic. We have a lot of Hispanics around here, and may simple refuse to learn English. We also have a significant Polish community, a Russian community, a Greek community, a Chinese community ... and probably several more. So is AG Holder sending his monitors to ensure that there is assistance for voters available in Polish, Russian, Greek, and Chinese? Some how I don't think so.

This country screwed up royally by not formally adopting English as THE national language when we had a chance to do so. There are so many Hispanics here now that I don't we could ever pass an "Official English" amendment today.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend
Re: WTF Department
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
This annoys the crap out of me. The is a component of the citizenship exam that requires competency with the english language. If you can't pass it, you're not supposed to get your citizenship. If you don't have your citizenship you're not legally allowed to vote. I don't think there should be ANY resources for those not fluent in English at the polls.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
Kowtowing to the invaders who refuse to assimilate will only speed up the inevitable break up and balkanization of the United States.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
Annoys the crap out of me as well. Especially being from an immigrant family, that along with millions of other immigrant families from dozens of other countries, somehow managed language assimilation all on their own.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 07:08:23 AM »
I can think of one specific reason a person like this could be useful, but only this: Someone who is competent enough with English to pass their citizenship exam may not understand some of the inscrutible language on ballot questions. CT had a question regarding a state constitutional amendment to modify absentee voting rules. If I hadn't researched it prior to walking in there on Tuesday, I would have NFC how to vote on it. Good luck if English isn't your first language.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:16:11 AM »
I can think of one specific reason a person like this could be useful, but only this: Someone who is competent enough with English to pass their citizenship exam may not understand some of the inscrutible language on ballot questions. CT had a question regarding a state constitutional amendment to modify absentee voting rules. If I hadn't researched it prior to walking in there on Tuesday, I would have NFC how to vote on it. Good luck if English isn't your first language.

Hell even if English is your first language, 90% of the time unless you have a law degree you can't understand how state questions are worded.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
Hell even if English is your first language, 90% of the time unless you have a law degree you can't understand how state questions are worded.

I take at least 1-2 hours pretty much every time I vote to research various propositions to ensure I understand them correctly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."