Main Forums > The Roundtable

The Perfect Storm, apparently

(1/4) > >>

Leatherneck:
The media are all agog over the piddly little rainstorm in the gulf. They ALL are referring to it as "Hurricane Anatoly, or Andrew, or whatever...

I'm so sick of this phenomenon of "National Local News."

Are Americans as dumb as the media think we are?

TC

280plus:
Unfortunately I think the answer is yes. Not all of us mind you, but enough. The question recently came up as to why every time there's some weather calamity or another coming everybody eats  French toast. They all rush to the store to buy milk, eggs and bread. That's French toast ingredients folks...

You have to wonder. Don't these people have any food in their houses? Why the mad rush to empty the shelves? Isn't anyone prepared for the inevitable? Me? A weeks worth of MREs stashed away in case I run out of French toast.

Typhoon:
Heh  French Toast.  Reminds me of the many, many typhoons I lived through growing up in Okinawa.  (Hence my handle on this board&)

When a typhoon was on the way and everyone was lining up for supplies, I remember my mother more than once gently reminding some of the newbies that now was not the best time to be buying milk, meat, ice cream&  The power WILL go out and often for days.  Hope youre hungry&

On the other hand, I did get tired of canned stew.

But I agree with the silliness of the coverage.  Guess everyone wants to be the first to cover the next Katrina (Heaven willing they wont have the opportunity).

Bob F.:
I loved it last year when they carried on about trees blown down and showed some saplings in the parking lot that had been in the little traffic islands. The were 8-10feet tall and probably had no real roots! If there's no news, they'll make news!

Bob

Headless Thompson Gunner:

--- Quote from: Leatherneck ---Are Americans as dumb as the media think we are?The ones who ritualistically watch cable news networks tend to be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version