Author Topic: Government making life harder...again.  (Read 4625 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Government making life harder...again.
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:49:28 AM »
Guys,

Have you heard of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act?

This outlaws the sale of any clothes, toys...anything for kids under 12 unless tested for lead and certain chemicals.

For lead it seems to be retroactive, meaning all clothes, toys...anything will not be able to be sold. So all those thrift stores that sell kids stuff will be forced to give up that part of their business which for many of them will be the end of their business.

This will also crush the small toy makers, the stay-at-home crafter mom who sells this that or the other, the boutique baby clothes store, and the budding entrepreneur like my youngest daughter who decorates hair clips and sells them to her friends for 50 cents or a dollar.

If it is true that used products are going to have to be discarded then that will mean millions of used stock will disappear from the market.

I see this as a big win for the big toy and clothes companies who will be able to spread the cost over millions of units. Of course that extra cost does not matter if you are going to making more money anyway because you are forcing your competition (both smaller manufacturers and the resale industry) out of business at the point of a gun.

Isn't it cool that new parents and those raising youngsters get to pay a hell of a lot more for everything?

I didn't put any links in because I did not want to look like I was leading you by the nose to opposisiton sites.

If I'm wrong and it is not retroactive I will rescind that part of my post and breathe a sigh of relief.

Warren

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Azrael256

• friend
Re: Government making life harder...again.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:07:39 AM »
And catalytic convereters, and coal scrubbers, and...

It is retroactive.  Not because it's written to be retroactive, like a democrat tax increase, but because it requires certification at the point of sale (among other places) on products which may have been manufactured before the bill was written.

Oh, and my favorite part: it specifies products made for kids under 12.  It doesn't say "toys an infant might try to eat," just anything marketed to the 12 and under crowd.  And it doesn't say "lead paint," it says "lead content."  Bam!  Tickle-me-Elmo is illegal.  Lead solder in the circuitry.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 06:26:31 AM »
Politics Place fodder if I ever saw it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 06:48:14 AM »
And it doesn't say "lead paint," it says "lead content."  Bam!  Tickle-me-Elmo is illegal.  Lead solder in the circuitry.

Not if it's ROHS compliant, which many new electronics that could be sold overseas are.

Chris

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »
Has anyone check with China to see if it is ok?

Opp, silly me!  The rules will apply only to domestic producers while foreign producers get a pass.

Now that my mind is right I can see things clearly.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
I didn't put any links in because I did not want to look like I was leading you by the nose to opposisiton sites.

No need to link to opposition sites, just link to the legislation itself.

http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/legislation.html

On lead solder in circuitry...

2) EXCEPTION FOR INACCESSIBLE COMPONENT PARTS.—
(A) IN GENERAL.—The limits established under sub-
section

(a) shall not apply to any component part of a
children’s product that is not accessible to a child through
normal and reasonably foreseeable use and abuse of such
product, as determined by the Commission. A component
part is not accessible under this subparagraph if such
component part is not physically exposed by reason of
a sealed covering or casing and does not become physically
exposed through reasonably foreseeable use and abuse of
the product. Reasonably foreseeable use and abuse shall
include to, swallowing, mouthing, breaking, or other chil-
dren’s activities, and the aging of the product.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:56:55 AM »
"On lead solder in circuitry..."

And another pwoning of the "panic and react before reading the applicable legislation" crowd.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
i wonder what the original article looked like
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »
Like this perhaps?

Barring a reprieve, regulations set to take effect next month could force thousands of clothing retailers and thrift stores to throw away trunkloads of children's clothing.

The law, aimed at keeping lead-filled merchandise away from children, mandates that all products sold for those age 12 and younger -- including clothing -- be tested for lead and phthalates, which are chemicals used to make plastics more pliable. Those that haven't been tested will be considered hazardous, regardless of whether they actually contain lead.

"They'll all have to go to the landfill," said Adele Meyer, executive director of the National Assn. of Resale and Thrift Shops.

Continues at: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247.story

See also: http://goldentwig.blogspot.com/
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
Those that haven't been tested will be considered hazardous, regardless of whether they actually contain lead.
Sounds like the same sort of bureaucratic "mentality" (and I use the word loosely) that led to "zero tolerance" in the schools.

If I had the resources to "follow the money" I wager I'd find that lobbyists for LARGE manufacturers - who see the secondary market as competition - were behind this.  :mad:

Good by, used clothing stores, used baby items, used books, used games . . . people will have to buy new, or Junior will do without.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »
If I had the resources to "follow the money" I wager I'd find that lobbyists for LARGE manufacturers - who see the secondary market as competition - were behind this.  angry

Historically, big companies often support increased regulation as a means to destroy smaller companies by raising the cost of market entry.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »
Has anyone check with China to see if it is ok?

Opp, silly me!  The rules will apply only to domestic producers while foreign producers get a pass.

Now that my mind is right I can see things clearly.

Nope. Imports are covered as well. In addition, imports that fail the test can be confiscated and destroyed.

http://www.duanemorris.com/alerts/alert2940.html

This is an evenhanded look at the Act.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:28:08 PM by Warren »

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »
And how are they going to inspect the imports that they barely inspect 5% of now, with only cursory batch "Is this all that's in this container?" inspections?

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »
Hooray! My wife can no longer make clothes, costumes or toys for children. This takes away a not insignificant portion of our income from the business, particularly during the holidays. Oh well. Life is good, eh, comrades!? Eh?! :police:
Hi.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
Tax, tax, tax, tax cows, tax toys, tax, what next new tax on birth control?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

erictank

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »
Tax, tax, tax, tax cows, tax toys, tax, what next new tax on birth control?

And babies, too.  =D

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »
So it turns out second hand and other used items are excempt. However books are still on the list.

http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=1322

CPSC ruling requires children’s books to be removed for safety testing

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Library Association (ALA) released a letter to Congress yesterday, urging members to take action against a recent opinion ruling released from the General Counsel of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) that would require public, school, academic and museum libraries to either remove all their books or ban all children under 12 from visiting the facilities, beginning on February 10.

The opinion was issued to the Association of American Publishers (AAP), following the group’s request to exclude children’s books from regulation under the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), which passed the 110th Congress in August and is enforced by the CPSC.

Under the CPSC’s interpretation of the law, which seeks to protect children from exposure to lead and phthalate, books for children under the age of 12 are required to undergo the same testing procedures as children’s toys. Since the General Counsel’s opinion is retroactive, all books currently on library or store shelves must be removed for testing, including textbooks and children’s literature books in academic library research collections.

The publishing community has supplied the Commission with evidentiary support (available at www.rrd.com/cpsia ) that books and other non-book, paper-based printed materials should not be subject to the lead, phthalate, and applicable ASTM standards that are referenced in CPSIA because they do not present any of the health or safety risks to children that the law intended to address.

ALA President Jim Rettig said he agrees that books do not pose a threat to children and should not be subject to regulation.

“The CPSC should enforce this important legislation where the dangers are – not with books, which are not playthings and should remain unregulated,” Rettig said.

“I sincerely doubt that Congress intended to require libraries to be subject to this law, but if Congress does not act soon, libraries across the country will be forced to remove books from the shelves, rather than keep them available to serve the educational needs of our nation’s children.”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
Well, heck - kids don't need books anymore.  They have TV and video games and computers now.  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin