Author Topic: New Microbe Discovered Eating Gulf Oil Spill  (Read 4609 times)

Desertdog

• friends
New Microbe Discovered Eating Gulf Oil Spill
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »
Anybody surprised that Earth has the ability to clean itself without the help of the puny little man.

New Microbe Discovered Eating Gulf Oil Spill
By Randolph E. Schmid

Published August 24, 2010
 Associated Press
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/24/new-microbe-discovered-eating-gulf-oil-spill/?test=latestnews

WASHINGTON -- A newly discovered type of oil-eating microbe is suddenly flourishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

Scientists discovered the new microbe while studying the underwater dispersion of millions of gallons of oil spilled into the Gulf following the explosion of BP's Deepwater Horizon drilling rig.

[please read the rest of the article at the Fox News site - OV]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:52:25 PM by Oleg Volk »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: New Microbe Discovered Eating Gulf Oil Spill
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:50 PM »
What will happen when these microbes run out of oil  ???

They will be endangered and may become extinct  :O

We will have to dump some more oil in the Gulf to feed them  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
The microbe is racist for going against what Spike Lee says.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »
Now if we can just alter the microbe's genetics so it devours Spike Lee.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »
Now if we can just alter the microbe's genetics so it devours Spike Lee.

Even microbes have standards
Look, tiny text!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »
Even microbes have standards

But being microbes, they can be very, very low standards.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »
I do think its cool that nature has a way of fixing man's shortcommings.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:07:01 PM »
Weren't there all sorts of reports that there were leaks from the ocean floor, with oil leaking out in amounts that made the BP spill look like bupkis?

And yet there was not a permanent sheen on the Gulf, or permanent ring of oil at the shoreline.

And did nobody wonder why?

And then someone suddenly "discovered" this "new microbe.  Sort of like Columbus discovered the North American continent.

Nothing new here, folks, except that somebody finally noticed it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »
Weren't there all sorts of reports that there were leaks from the ocean floor, with oil leaking out in amounts that made the BP spill look like bupkis?
In the early days of Santa Barbara there was so much oil leaking from the ocean floor they finally driilled several producing wells to eliminate the ocean leakage.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:15:05 PM »
For us Rush listeners, this is old news.  The Mahai Rushi predicted this, and was ridiculed for ignorance and heartless apathy.  A couple of weeks ago, he dug up some news stories confirming that nature was indeed dealing with the situation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »
Did someone not get the memo about quoting articles?
Formerly sumpnz

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »
uP Dated myself on the rules.  Will comply.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 03:39:46 AM »
Anybody surprised that Earth has the ability to clean itself without the help of the puny little man.

I'm sure we could adjust the climate if we set our minds to it.

Start by building a PACER plant...
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 03:44:49 AM »
In the early days of Santa Barbara there was so much oil leaking from the ocean floor they finally driilled several producing wells to eliminate the ocean leakage.

This be true

And there are other places, in most seas and oceans. I would like the think that it drives the enviroweenies crazy n
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 07:17:13 AM »
For us Rush listeners, this is old news.  The Mahai Rushi predicted this, and was ridiculed for ignorance and heartless apathy.  A couple of weeks ago, he dug up some news stories confirming that nature was indeed dealing with the situation.

Anyone with an IQ above room temperature should know that the earth can take care of itself in the long run.  (ie, hippies don't qualify)

That said, BP is still responsible for cleaning up the mess.  If mother nature lends a hand, good.  But they're still not off the hook until cleanup is complete. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 09:01:55 AM »
Hasn't BP already contributed more money to the 'slush fund' than the cost of the cleanup?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »
Hasn't BP already contributed more money to the 'slush fund' than the cost of the cleanup?

No, I think that was just extortion money?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »
Anyone with an IQ above room temperature should know that the earth can take care of itself in the long run. 

Well sure... but that doesn't necessarily mean it will remain pleasant for us.

:Ned Hamford is still upset with a neighbor in Vermont unilaterally changing the drainage scheme for the neighborhood and causing a large increase in mosquitoes:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »
People forget that Oil is a natural substance.  It bubbles out of the gulf from natural vents already.  Granted, us dumping craploads of it into the gulf probably wasn't a good thing, but its honestly unsurprising that some natural creature has evolved to deal with consuming oil.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
People forget that Oil is a natural substance.  It bubbles out of the gulf from natural vents already.  Granted, us dumping craploads of it into the gulf probably wasn't a good thing, but its honestly unsurprising that some natural creature has evolved to deal with consuming oil.

Indeed, and given the rate that bacteria can grow - I figure that the bacteria, given 'optimal' conditions, could easily double in mass in a week or two.  It'd be faster, but I figure 'cold water' bacteria would be a bit slower than the higher temperature ones.

We've had enough time for like 12 doublings; still plenty even if the spill was 1000x the rate of natural seepage.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
No, I think that was just extortion money?

Does that matter?

The point is, they got hit for a sum far larger than the damage they caused. And  spent $3 billion above that on cleanup.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »

Still leaking, About 150 barrels a day. One rig and a seep tent are still around. Libe Washburn, quoted in the linked story, was a professor of mine in grad school. I still remember him talking about a paper he co-wrote with someone that they were afraid to publish because it showed that sticking rigs in the seep would reduce the pressure and the amount of oil and gas naturally seeping. Of course all the seeping oil is blamed on rigs in Federal waters many many miles away.

I dove the seeps in years gone by. Very interesting. Sheep crabs will actually seek out gas seeps and sit on top of them, apparently because it feels good.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090513130944.htm

Another guy with interesting data is Ira Liefer. He has a website called bubbleology.com.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »
Does that matter?

The point is, they got hit for a sum far larger than the damage they caused. And  spent $3 billion above that on cleanup.

Mind you, I'm a shareholder of BP.   I'm just pointing out, that slush fund thing was extortion from Obama to hand out to "victims" at his own discretion.  I don't think that was even remotely considered part of the cleanup.  Just flat out strong arm thuggery.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
What will happen when these microbes run out of oil  ???

They will be endangered and may become extinct  :O

We will have to dump some more oil in the Gulf to feed them  ;)

What does the oil change into after the microbes comsume it?
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.