Author Topic: Amazon Now Selling More Kindle Books Than Print Books  (Read 4619 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: Amazon Now Selling More Kindle Books Than Print Books
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 02:06:52 AM »
In the 1982 movie, Star Trek II; The Wrath of Khan, there was a scene in which Mr. Spock gives Admiral Kirk a copy of Dickens .... book form.  How quiant.  Old fashioned -- like the glasses Kirk used to read.  
Only three decades later (not three hundred years) we are now approaching a time in which the old fashioned printed book (I have a million of 'em) is -- possibly -- going out of style.  
A shame really.  

Someone get back to me when Scotty invents the warp-drive ..... [tinfoil] =D

First-edition/heirloom-edition books, IMO, will *NEVER* go out of style.  There will always be people for whom the feel of an old, leather-bound, beautifully-finished book is itself a thing of necessary beauty.  If I had room, and the budget for it, I would have the classic library seen in the Rich Guy's Mansion in movies and TV - and I am one of the bigger cheerleaders here for ebooks.

Textbooks and other books with diagrams or art, IMO, also tend to work better in dead-tree, although as technology continues to advance, that might change.  I will not, at this time, purchase an e-textbook for any of my classes, and the US history class I'm currently taking which is all online (no required text, which I thought was pretty cool!), I find I'm printing out the online lessons and such for offline review.  Sometimes, I really do just want to flip back and forth between actual, physical pages.

That {"Oh, John Ringo, no..."} is a running joke with my GF and I.  That and Kratman is watching...

Heh.  I'm pretty sure I have all of Ringo's offerings in e-formats - and most of Kratman's, excepting perhaps a couple of Tom's most-recent releases.  I would not buy most of them in dead-tree, although there are some of Ringo's that I would.  But the Ghost series?  Nah.  Baen's promotional CDs are a Godsend, for voracious readers - once again, for those interested, check out Joe Buckley's Baen CD site (baencd.thefifthimperium.com - currently not coming up for me here at work, but it's worked in the past).  I've gotten a bunch of them there, after getting several via hardcover purchases.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »
Someone get back to me when Scotty invents the warp-drive ..... [tinfoil] =D
*ahem* Zephram Cochrane.  :police:

I mean... what?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
1973 Encyclopedia Britanica full set marked in pencil on the inside cover with a National Geographic Editors name.

keep or toss?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 11:29:46 AM »
*ahem* Zephram Cochrane.  :police:

I mean... what?

OK, OK, picky, aren't we?!?!   I think a lot more non Trekkers know who Scotty was than Zephram Cochrane.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
1973 Encyclopedia Britanica full set marked in pencil on the inside cover with a National Geographic Editors name.

keep or toss?

Keep.

Likely not too ate up with PC in 1973 and sounds collectible.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 01:15:46 PM »
And now, to fire up the Nook vs. Kindle debate, there's a new Nook: The Simple Touch Reader

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?PID=35699 

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »
I'm seriously considering dropping coin on an e-reader in the next week or two.  I guess the contest is between the Nook Touch Reader and the Kindle 3.  I like the Nook's ease of PDF support.  I have a bunch of digital TM's I'd probably throw on any e-reader I got.  Kindle has 3G though.  Tough call.

Does anyone know whether you can share books amongst the family with these things?  i.e. Say my wife buys an e-reader too. If I buy a book and read it can I take it off my reader and put it on hers without buying it again?  Not really thinking about Nook's 14 day lend thing, more like the electronic equivalent of my reading the book and then handing it to her to read.

Tough decisions.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »
I'm seriously considering dropping coin on an e-reader in the next week or two.  I guess the contest is between the Nook Touch Reader and the Kindle 3.  I like the Nook's ease of PDF support.  I have a bunch of digital TM's I'd probably throw on any e-reader I got.  Kindle has 3G though.  Tough call.

Does anyone know whether you can share books amongst the family with these things?  i.e. Say my wife buys an e-reader too. If I buy a book and read it can I take it off my reader and put it on hers without buying it again?  Not really thinking about Nook's 14 day lend thing, more like the electronic equivalent of my reading the book and then handing it to her to read.

Tough decisions.

If it's non-DRM'd you can. Don't know what happens with DRM'd books. And I think I read something about you being able to link two or three Kindles to the same account and share books between them, but I don't know for sure. I'm going to have to track that down...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
Found it.

From Amazon's Kindle FAQs:

Can I share content with other Kindles?

You can enjoy your Kindle content on Kindle devices or Kindle applications that are registered to your Amazon.com account. There may be limits on the number of devices (usually six) that can simultaneously use a single book. Subscriptions to newspapers or periodicals cannot be shared on multiple devices. You can see all your Kindle content and send downloads to your registered Kindles or Kindle applications from the "Your Orders" section of the Manage Your Kindle page.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
Quote from: Regolith
And I think I read something about you being able to link two or three Kindles to the same account and share books between them, but I don't know for sure.

Pretty sure that's the case with Nook.  I downloaded their owner's manual some time back.  It referred to (IIRC) starting to read a book on one device, picking up where you left off on another, then continuing on yet another. That certainly implies that you can have multiple devices on the same account (Nook, P.C./laptop, smartphone...).  Of course, you'd want to only link devices that can only be accessed by someone trusted.  Wouldn't want just anyone to have access to the debit or credit card linked to that account.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.