Author Topic: Taking the FE/EIT exam on Saturday  (Read 4621 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Taking the FE/EIT exam on Saturday
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »
For those that are not engineers, the FE/EIT is the Fundamental of Engineering exam for the Engineer In Training certificate.  It's the first of 2 exams one must pass (along with having 4 years of experience supervised by a licensed Professional Engineer plus an ABET accredited engineering degree) in order to be licensed as a "Professional Engineer" (PE for short).

Should've listened to my professors in college and taken it when I was a graduating senior.  Would have been soooo much easier 11 years ago.    :facepalm:

Saturday will be a long day.  I have to be at the Seattle Center (site of the World's Fair way back whenever it was that Seattle hosted it) by 0715, which means the alarm will go off around 5AM.  Exam is supposed to start at 0800.  Morning portion runs until noon, then a 1 hour lunch break, the another 4 hours for the afternoon portion.  Exam should be over by 1700. 

I'll be staying at my wife's aunt and uncle's Friday night.  That'll save me a good 50 miles of driving Saturday morning.  I'll go back there after the exam for dinner and medicinal beer.  Then SWMBO will drive me home.  Hopefully I'll be able to flop into bed by 2200.

Assuming I pass (~80% do their first time) I'll probably go on to the PE exam in October.  If not I'll retake this one.  When I pass the PE exam too, I'll be able to keep a stamp at my desk that I'll never use, put a certificate on the wall that says I'm good at taking the tests.  Have a credential to put on my resume.  Get a 3% bonus.  And check a box to help qualify for a promotion (where the license still won't ever get used).

Got plans to meet a guy from a kayak fishing forum I'm also a member of at Lake Samish on Sunday.  Should be a good chance to decompress after the stress of an 8 hour exam.  We'll be chasing kokanee and cutthroat trout.  Oh yeah.  And drinking beer.  Guy at the sporting goods shop said the kokanee are just starting to come up shallow enough to be able to fish for them without a downrigger.  Said the bite was sparse but there.  Also said there's cutts up to 6 lbs in that lake.  Hopefully the weather will be good and the lake calm.  Otherwise ...  =(  :-X   :O  [barf].

Formerly sumpnz

drewtam

• friend
Re: Taking the FE/EIT exam on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »
I don't know anybody in our office that has a PE. I'm not sure I could find a supervisor to meet that requirement.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
Out of my nearly 12 years experience, I know for certain I can document 4.5 under a PE.  2.5 at the job I had in Phoenix, and 2 at my current job.  Beyond that, I could probably come up with another 3-5 years under a PE if I had to.  But I don't need any more than 4 years so I won't bother tracking those supervisors down.
Formerly sumpnz

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
Good luck. You taking general engineering or specific discipline?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
I took the FE exam as a senior and passed it okay.  I've never gotten the EIT or went for a PE though.  My employer really doesn't use it.  I doubt I have the documented experience anyway.

I recall that the first half of the test was all short plug and chug questions that you either know or not.  I aced that portion and finished early.  The 2nd half was larger problems and included a lot of electric circuits questions that I guessed at (for Mechanical).  I am pretty sure I sucked on the 2nd half and the 1st half carried me.  They had Prep classes on campus that I attended.  There was a lot of stuff I was forgetting even then.  That is the way it was in Texas.  I'm not sure how much it varies from state to state.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:31 AM »
Good luck tomorrow. What's your primary engineering discipline?

I don't know if I'll ever bother trying to obtain my PE license. It doesn't seem to be that important of a credential for electrical engineers.
Andy

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 12:35:11 AM »
I'm doing the Mechanical section for the afternoon.

My degree is Aerospace Engineering.  I've been doing stress analysis since graduation.

I wouldn't have bothered either, but higher management places value on PE licenses for some odd reason.  So while I'll never actually use the stamp the license will help advance myself.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
Sonofabitch.  Glad that's done.  Just hope I passed.  If I did I'll take the PE in October.  If not I'll re-take the EIT.

If I had to guess I'd say 70% on the morning section, 50% on the afternoon.  If I'm right, that's good enough to pass.

Apparently I suck at heat cycle problems, and work done by compressors/pumps/etc.
Formerly sumpnz

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 07:21:29 AM »
You know, I can't think of anyone I work with who is a PE...I mean, I've built plentyof stuff, and the only time a PE was needed was for someone to sign off on the plans...after we built it and it was going into production, as I guess a CYA check-box.   Given that...I don't think I want to be a PE.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:09:06 AM »
Good day on the lake.  Fishing was slow.  Only one little trout all day.  But still it was a great time.  My arms are rather sore.  And I really need to get a new seat for the yak.  1/4" of padding is not cutting it.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:30:11 AM »
I PASSED!!!

Now on to the PE exam in October.
Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 06:09:44 AM »
What do you call the person with the lowest ranking in their medical school class?

Is there a similar name for engineers?

But congratulations anyway.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »
Congratulations!!!!!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
I PASSED!!!

Congratulations!  One milestone you never have to cross again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
I PASSED!!!

Awesome. Good luck in October.
Andy

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
What do you call the person with the lowest ranking in their medical school class?

Doctor.

Is there a similar name for engineers?

Manager.
Formerly sumpnz

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »
Congratulations on the test (even if you were too old to take it ;) ).

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
Slightly belated congrats on passing!  That's really sumpn'.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »
Congrats!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 11:29:33 PM »
Thanks all. 

Right now I'm trying to corner my second-level to get him to sign my training request for the PE prep class.  The money is already in the department budget, my first level has signed the form, but I need his signature before HR will sign it and allow purchasing to create the PO that result in the tuition actually, you know, getting paid - and not by me.

Ah, the joys of working for a large corporation.
Formerly sumpnz