Author Topic: Earth Homes From Around the World  (Read 4624 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Earth Homes From Around the World
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »
Some of these are pretty neat looking. I've always had an interest in earth homes, but my biggest concern would be getting sufficient natural light to all areas of the home without defeating the main purpose of the structure. Otherwise if I'm gonna sit around underground all day with the lights on, I'd just as soon buy a missile silo.  :laugh:

http://www.worldsbiggests.com/2013/04/the-coolest-earth-houses-around-world.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Earth Homes From Around the World
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
Hobbitses, everywhere!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
you ever see solatubes?
http://www.solatube.com/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
i have had an idea for a rammed earth, covered with earth idea for some time.  i think it would work best in a dryer climate.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »
http://flyingconcrete.com/

They show some really neat structures being made.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
You can alway go with poured or stacked concrete walls that are earth bermed.  More windows, more light and you still get the same effect.

This is off of one of my favorite web forums

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5386.0

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »
I'm not sure about the eco-friendly part, since concrete is one of the highest enviromental impact building materials: non-renewable, requires multiple mining/quarrying operations for the components.   =|

I would like a hobbit house, though.   =) 

Our ancestors lived underground and I'm not sure that we are smarter.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
Hey, I didn't say anything about eco friendly!   =D  There is another concrete earth bermed house on the City-Data forum, it was an interesting read and according to the owners a very comfortable house year round.  They were completely off grid.  If I settle down somewhere like Utah or Arizona I might try to build an earth ship or a rammed earth home.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
Meh, hippy hovels.

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »
Meh, hippy hovels.

I dunno ... I sure get tired of being either too cold or too hot.

A house impervious to forest fire would be nice too.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
I dunno ... I sure get tired of being either too cold or too hot.

That's the (worthwhile IMO) price you pay for living away from busybodies.  :laugh:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:32:47 AM »
That's the (worthwhile IMO) price you pay for living away from busybodies.  :laugh:

Yeah, why do you think I live in this miserable climate?  ;)

An earth sheltered house that was cooler in summer and warmer in the winter might be a good idea.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
There's an elementary school in Walla Walla, WA where the architect decided to mound up earth along the sides of the school.  Blue Ridge Elementary.

http://www.blueridgeeagles.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86&Itemid=189

I'm having a hard time finding pictures of it, but the earth berm around the school must be 25-30 feet high.

Doesn't seem the school district is that impressed with the results of the proposed cost savings, because there's no mention of the odd architectural design on the school's web site at all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »
Doesn't seem the school district is that impressed with the results of the proposed cost savings

My cellar doesn't freeze even though there is no heat down there.

There is some downward heat loss through the floor, though.

Likewise the well pit is about 6 or 7 feet deep with just a couple layers of 2" styrofoam and the metal lid on top.

Just something that is fire proof, where one could shelter in place through the worst fire storm, would be worth it where we live.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »
What about air?  If your earth-home is surrounded by a fire including a fire on top of you, aren't you going to suffocate from the smoke even if your house doesn't burn?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
What about air?  If your earth-home is surrounded by a fire including a fire on top of you, aren't you going to suffocate from the smoke even if your house doesn't burn?

Actually, no - I didn't die last summer when when were doing structure protection and had 100+ foot high flames all around us.   =)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »
Actually, no - I didn't die last summer when when were doing structure protection and had 100+ foot high flames all around us.   =)

Well that's good.   :lol:
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »
Well that's good.   :lol:

Yeah, we had it all figured out that we had defensible space, but there was a couple minutes there that I was sorta interested to see how it was all going to turn out.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
Some of these are pretty neat looking. I've always had an interest in earth homes, but my biggest concern would be getting sufficient natural light to all areas of the home without defeating the main purpose of the structure. Otherwise if I'm gonna sit around underground all day with the lights on, I'd just as soon buy a missile silo.  :laugh:

http://www.worldsbiggests.com/2013/04/the-coolest-earth-houses-around-world.html

I can't find the site, but I remember seeing a periscope window a while back that looked like it worked well.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
Would be cool for a fallout shelter too. You could have  "Z" shaped shaft with mirrors and outside views, but no free path for gammas or neutrons to get at you.

Security and blast protection is weaker, but would make your two weeks to a month for the Iodine etc. to burn through some half-lives easier to take. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:49:14 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »
Meh, hippy hovels.

Meh, hippy hovels with low heating and cooling bills!  That won't burn in a forest fire!  And look like they are more tornado resistant than your average T111 shack!!!!   :P