Author Topic: Big cities  (Read 4649 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Big cities
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »
This thread reminds me why I like Lubbock so much. Big enough for "big city" conveniences, but with a decidedly small-town attitude and feel. We're getting enough population to challenge the streets a bit that only means you have to wait for two signal-light cycles rather than one. The sign ordinances that keep major thoroughfares from becoming billboard jungles make some businesspeople see red, but it's a lot of the reason Lubbock still has a rural vibe. It certainly doesn't feel like a city of almost 280k (231K population plus the combined college student population).

Holidays can be a bit challenging when the additional 250k population from the economic radius descends on the mall. Other than that, nice place to live.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:58:16 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 06:14:54 PM »
I like to visit big cities, not sure if I'd want to live in one again. I did live in Minneapolis/St Paul for four months for a temp job that provided room and board, it was fun because there was lots of things to do, but I wouldn't want to spend the time needed for commuting.

I guess if I got a job offer that was too good to say no in a big city, I'd probably move within walking/biking distance of the job.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »
I would say it's a preference issue.  Amenities of living in and around larger cities are important to some.  Also, many cities provide large amounts of well paying jobs that people want.  I like living on the outskirts of a city myself.  Just far enough out that I can stay out of the city, but close enough that a trip to an event isn't a major outing.

This. I'm about 25 min out of Tampa, in a carefully picked semi rural area.

It's a fine line to walk:  far enough out you don't have to live there, close enough to get to work or cool stuff.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 09:16:10 PM »
I have a 2 mile commute to work. 2/3rds of which is county road. The little town has 1 stop light and 1 gas station/convenience store (there is another under construction. We have a grocery store, Napa, lumber yard, 2 decent gun stores a few decent eateries and a fairly well stocked liquor store. 20 miles up the road I can find a wally world, Lowes and any number of chain type eateries as well as farm stores, auto parts, and what have you. 45 miles into Tulsa is pretty much anything a civilized person could desire. I avoid Tulsa if at all possible. In recent years I have decided a 3-4 day wait for things I don't need RFN is preferable to a trip to Tulsa. Amazon, Midway USA, Defender Marine all have wonderful websites and some dood in a big brown truck will bring stuff right to my door.
I've done the big cities, San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Norfolk, several excursions into NYC and DC, Orlando and I've driven through quite a few more. I just don't want to go anymore. I got to thinking about it a few days ago and figured out I haven't been more than 50 miles away from home (not counting work trips to remote offices) in 4 years.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »
The town through which we get our mail routed has about 150 people.

Fortunately, we live about 17 miles out of town away from the hustle and bustle :)

For Monkeyleg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rscqSCxaKLo
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 12:04:57 AM »
In recent years I have decided a 3-4 day wait for things I don't need RFN is preferable to a trip to Tulsa. Amazon, Midway USA, Defender Marine all have wonderful websites and some dood in a big brown truck will bring stuff right to my door.

And for RKL.  (See if you can spot him in the video for extra bonus added points.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=g8LHlJSBkg0
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.