Author Topic: Modern Mummy  (Read 4638 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Modern Mummy
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »
The mummified remains of a German ocean adventurer were found in his drifting yacht in the Philippines. The photo is something I would expect from an archaeological dig. I had no idea remains could mummify to that extent that quickly. Perhaps the salt environment had a hand, much like preserving an animal hide with salt.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/02/29/mummified-body-german-adventurer-found-inside-yacht.html?intcmp=hpbt4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Modern Mummy
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
He was last heard of/from in 2009. Seven years is plenty of time in salty air.

I wonder if they'll ever be able to determine what happened to him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:36:08 PM »
Looks like he was on hold with Raymarine tech support...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:30:22 PM »
Naaah, he was calling Comcast to find out why his On Demand quit working.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »
I wonder if they'll ever be able to determine what happened to him.

Though I have no expertise on the subject, I would tend to agree with the medical examiner quoted in the article. It looks like his body just said, "time to die" and he slumped over and expired from natural causes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »
So assuming that he died in 2009, is it unusual for an unmanned sailboat in the open ocean to still be afloat after all that time?  Not being a sailor, I am surprised it had not capsized or shipped enough water to sink or some other catastrophe from being unattended.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »
I don't think I'll ever be able to eat Bleu de Bresse again...  =|
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:56:48 PM »
I'm seeing shinbones, so it wasn't complete.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »
And yes they will likely be able to tell what killed him if it was a heart attack or stroke or probably many other things.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 10:37:38 PM »
So assuming that he died in 2009, is it unusual for an unmanned sailboat in the open ocean to still be afloat after all that time?  Not being a sailor, I am surprised it had not capsized or shipped enough water to sink or some other catastrophe from being unattended.

The bigger sailing yachts are remarkably stable. If the boat was equipped with solar panels to keep the batteries charged they would last for several years even untended. With the batteries running the automatic bilge pumps that would prevent the boat from sinking from water ingress from rain and waves.
And, just because he hadn't "made contact" doesn't mean he was dead since 2009, just no one who knew him has responded.
Just goes to show you how big and empty the oceans are, the boat could have been drifting around for years outside the shipping lanes and maybe due to El Nino the currents or winds shifted enough to bring it back into "civilization".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »
Even a smaller mono-hull fiberglass boat is incredibly tough.

If the hatches were closed, and it didn't take on water from storms it would last a long time and eventually the sails would come apart and not be an issue for capsizing either.
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 12:04:30 AM »

I've heard stories of known abandoned ships being lost and seen again many many many years later.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »
And, just because he hadn't "made contact" doesn't mean he was dead since 2009, just no one who knew him has responded.

One would think there would be some easy evidence onboard of the last landfall in a modern civilization; wrappers, receipts, mail, or something like that.  Of course, if he wanted to disappear, avoiding modern civilizations while still getting provisions would be a fairly simple matter for an experienced sailor with a good ship.

Just goes to show you how big and empty the oceans are, the boat could have been drifting around for years outside the shipping lanes and maybe due to El Nino the currents or winds shifted enough to bring it back into "civilization".

One wonders just how long it would be possible to hide out on the open ocean, assuming adequate provisions.  Of course, a ship big enough to either carry all the supplies necessary or act as a floating island to farm on is more likely to be spotted, but done right, could possibly be passed off as an exploration ship or experimental platform.

It does leave me curious just how long one could outfit a relatively small but fully seaworthy ship to survive without any outside contact.  Obviously fishing extends food supplies, but if one were willing to get by on nothing but Datrex bars or similar and water, how many months of food could, say, a typical ~35 footer carry, while leaving room for sleeping, some sort of reliable desalinator and other necessary supplies?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »
I would think you could last quite a long time if you didn't run into a storm.  I thought I heard those South Pacific islanders traveled quite far across the Pacific. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
Looks like he was recovering from a hangover he never recovered from.  [barf]
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »
It does leave me curious just how long one could outfit a relatively small but fully seaworthy ship to survive without any outside contact.  Obviously fishing extends food supplies, but if one were willing to get by on nothing but Datrex bars or similar and water, how many months of food could, say, a typical ~35 footer carry, while leaving room for sleeping, some sort of reliable desalinator and other necessary supplies?

35 feet is pretty small for extended ocean cruising. My ex-wife and I had a 30-footer. In terms of sailing and seaworthiness I wouldn't have hesitated to sail it from anywhere on the east coast of the U.S. to Bermuda, but I would not have chosen it for a trans-Atlantic or around-the-world voyage. For anything more than Bermuda I would want something just a bit bigger. Not that the 30-footer couldn't do it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

In terms of storage space, the 30-footer was sadly lacking in capacity for extended cruising. It had a small ice chest, not a refrigerator. The fuel tank (gasoline) was only 12 gallons, but the engine was only for getting into and out of tight harbors so that wasn't a major issue. I don't remember the capacity for potable water, but it was too small for extended cruising, and there wasn't much space for dry stores of food.

Just the radio station in the photos of the ghost ship would take up probably a full third of our entire main cabin. I don't think his boat was anywhere near 35 feet in length -- much bigger IMHO.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 06:56:06 PM »
I don't know much about sailboats, but have a friend who did the liveaboard thing on his Catalina 30. He hated it and quit after a couple of years because it was just too cramped. I recall him always wishing for (I think) a Lafitte 44 to both live aboard and do the world cruise thing. I recall him telling me that there's some size threshold where when you get to the longer length, it also opens up a tremendously greater amount of cabin space.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »
Just the radio station in the photos of the ghost ship would take up probably a full third of our entire main cabin. I don't think his boat was anywhere near 35 feet in length -- much bigger IMHO.

I was thinking along the lines of Ella's Pink Lady, since it made the trip once, and IIRC, was a 33 footer.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 10:42:31 PM »
It's all about how much creature comfort a person has to have. And the length of a boat is no measure of seaworthiness. I've seen 30 footers that I'd be willing to circumnavigate in (not that I have the skills to do so) and 40 footers that are iffy on an inland lake.
There have been crazy *expletive deleted*ers intrepid sailors that have done circumnavigations in the same boat I  have. I'd happily take mine to the Caribbean or Bahamas after a refit and upgrade to electronics and fuel and potable water capacities. I know a fellow that took a 26' "trailer sailer" from the west side of Florida, around the Keys and over to the Bahamas and back. Plenty of folks take 22 footers to the Chanel Islands off CA on a regular basis.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »
It's all about how much creature comfort a person has to have. And the length of a boat is no measure of seaworthiness. I've seen 30 footers that I'd be willing to circumnavigate in (not that I have the skills to do so) and 40 footers that are iffy on an inland lake.

I have a friend that lives in a 16' travel trailer quite happily, with an insane amount of crap for such a small space.  My apartment has 525sf of main living area, but another 450 of loft storage and a 525sf garage downstairs that I can store stuff in too if I start getting too much clutter.

I figure I could get by with just enough space to stretch out in and a usable "RV style" head with the shower, sink and toilet all stuffed in a space just big enough to actually use them.  After all, it's still going to have open deck outside, and I've spent quite comfy nights in a 7x3' pup tent.  I actually prefer a "just big enough" space to sleep and SSS in, since those are the times I don't like big, open rooms around me, and it's easier to heat small spaces.  A place to sit and read would be nice, though of course an e-reader would be more practical than a bunch of books each taking up the space of a day's food.

Also, I guess if one's not really trying to get somewhere, a few cheap boats full of provisions could be towed as well, opening up space in the main cabin.  With access to some of the very remote, uninhabited islands, one could also cache provisions there, and maybe stay within a day's sail of one or more islands as an emergency option when major storms threaten.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »
An apartment or travel trailer is a far cry from a small sailer.....there is no where to go when you get cabin fever.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 12:56:30 AM »
An apartment or travel trailer is a far cry from a small sailer.....there is no where to go when you get cabin fever.
Sure there is. How do you fancy swimming?

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:23 AM »
There have been crazy *expletive deleted*ers intrepid sailors that have done circumnavigations in the same boat I  have. I'd happily take mine to the Caribbean or Bahamas after a refit and upgrade to electronics and fuel and potable water capacities. I know a fellow that took a 26' "trailer sailer" from the west side of Florida, around the Keys and over to the Bahamas and back. Plenty of folks take 22 footers to the Chanel Islands off CA on a regular basis.

That's why I tried to make a distinction between seaworthiness and cruising capacity. The boat my ex-wife and I had was a full-keel design, Alberg 30. For sailing, I'd sail one of those anywhere -- the problem is simply the lack of space for adequate supplies for long distance cruising.

The little brother of the Alberg 30 was a smaller Alberg design, the Cape Dory Typhoon. It was also full-keel, an 18-foot, cuddy cabin day sailor. A friend of ours crewed on a boat that went to Bermuda and back. When he was telling us about the trip afterwards, he mentioned that he had seen a guy sail into the harbor in Bermuda in a Typhoon that he had single-handed over from Florida.

Seriously -- would you want to sail from Florida to Bermuda in this?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 02:08:25 AM »
I have a friend that lives in a 16' travel trailer quite happily, with an insane amount of crap for such a small space.  My apartment has 525sf of main living area, but another 450 of loft storage and a 525sf garage downstairs that I can store stuff in too if I start getting too much clutter.

I figure I could get by with just enough space to stretch out in and a usable "RV style" head with the shower, sink and toilet all stuffed in a space just big enough to actually use them.  After all, it's still going to have open deck outside, and I've spent quite comfy nights in a 7x3' pup tent.  I actually prefer a "just big enough" space to sleep and SSS in, since those are the times I don't like big, open rooms around me, and it's easier to heat small spaces.  A place to sit and read would be nice, though of course an e-reader would be more practical than a bunch of books each taking up the space of a day's food.

Also, I guess if one's not really trying to get somewhere, a few cheap boats full of provisions could be towed as well, opening up space in the main cabin.  With access to some of the very remote, uninhabited islands, one could also cache provisions there, and maybe stay within a day's sail of one or more islands as an emergency option when major storms threaten.

And then mark the spot with an X.  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 03:20:36 AM »
That's why I tried to make a distinction between seaworthiness and cruising capacity. The boat my ex-wife and I had was a full-keel design, Alberg 30. For sailing, I'd sail one of those anywhere -- the problem is simply the lack of space for adequate supplies for long distance cruising.

The little brother of the Alberg 30 was a smaller Alberg design, the Cape Dory Typhoon. It was also full-keel, an 18-foot, cuddy cabin day sailor. A friend of ours crewed on a boat that went to Bermuda and back. When he was telling us about the trip afterwards, he mentioned that he had seen a guy sail into the harbor in Bermuda in a Typhoon that he had single-handed over from Florida.

Seriously -- would you want to sail from Florida to Bermuda in this?

I just dodged a bullet on a Cape Dory 30  (Alberg design). It came up for sale about a month ago. Parked 3 slips down for my boat. Beautiful brightwork inside and out, cutter rigged, new sails last fall. Guy that had it bought a brand new Marlow Hunter 31.
Lucky for me a fellow club member snatched it up before I could make a move on it.

Samuel Adams