Author Topic: Modern Mummy  (Read 4640 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Modern Mummy
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 09:52:08 AM »
An apartment or travel trailer is a far cry from a small sailer.....there is no where to go when you get cabin fever.

Another reason to pick somewhere within a day of a remote island or group.  Depending on how far off the grid one needs to be, the Maldives are full of both inhabited and uninhabited islands, and some of the uninhabited ones don't see a huge amount of traffic.  Plus the climate there is nice.  If one is truly insane and/or impervious to awful weather, there's always Bouvet or the Antipodes.

Unless you're really hiding from a worldwide manhunt, of course, there's always a good chance that some inhabited island would adopt you for whatever reason, and true hiding wouldn't be necessary most of the time anyway; it's not like every random cargo ship is going to check out your boat as long as you manage to look like you're wherever you are intentionally.  Don't look lost or derelict and they'll figure you're just another eccentric sailor taking his toy to some remote place for fun.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 08:34:59 AM »
According to this, the ME has determined that the guy died about 7 days before being discovered.

http://www.grindtv.com/random/mystery-of-mummified-sailor-found-on-ghost-ship-is-solved/?ref=yfp#30aDzJsfy2X4pBDG.97

The yacht was 44 feet, which is starting to get into the range for an ocean going boat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
According to this, the ME has determined that the guy died about 7 days before being discovered.

http://www.grindtv.com/random/mystery-of-mummified-sailor-found-on-ghost-ship-is-solved/?ref=yfp#30aDzJsfy2X4pBDG.97

The yacht was 44 feet, which is starting to get into the range for an ocean going boat.

Wow. You might have convinced me that it could happen as quickly as a couple of months, but I would never in a million years have guessed a body could look like that in only a week. Added to my "morbid facts" file.

Bummer though, it eliminates tons of great "ghost boat" speculation stories.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 10:37:09 AM »
Same here. Even the Egyptians covered the body with natron for 70 days as part of the process. And that was after they removed the internal organs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.