Author Topic: Another "rare" wrong house raid  (Read 15733 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Another "rare" wrong house raid
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »
Sorta like black bear attacks - it never happens until it happens  rolleyes

Buffalo Police batter their way into wrong house

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/415938.html

Armed with a battering ram and shotguns, Buffalo police looking for heroin broke down the door and stormed the lower apartment of a West Side family of eight.

The problem is that the Wednesday evening raid should have occurred at an apartment upstairs.

And, thats only the tip of the iceberg, according to Schavon Pennyamon, who lives at the mistakenly raided apartment on Sherwood Street with her husband, Terrell, and six children.

Pennyamon alleges that after wrongly breaking into her apartment, police proceeded to strike her epileptic husband in the head with the butt end of a shotgun and point shotguns at her young children before admitting their mistake and then raiding the right apartment.

She says shes left with a broken door, an injured husband, jittery children and  what bothers her most  still no apology from police.

They know they did something wrong and they were still ignorant, said the 29-year-old Pennyamon. At first, I just wanted an apology. Now, because they want[ed] to be ignorant and rude, I have to take it to the next level.

She filed a report with the departments Professional Standards Division and also contacted Mayor Byron W. Brown about the incident. Pennyamon said Friday evening she also has retained a lawyer and intends to pursue legal action.

Police brass acknowledge that officers with the Mobile Response and Narcotics units entered the wrong apartment.

As the officers were in the lower apartment, one of the detectives reviewed the search warrant application and realized it was for the upper [apartment], said Dennis J. Richards, chief of detectives.

It appears to be an honest mistake and we certainly apologize to all involved, added Michael J. DeGeorge, Buffalo police spokesman.

Police declined to comment, however, on Pennyamons allegations of assault and other police impropriety. The internal investigation with the Professional Standards Division is now under way to determine exactly what happened.

We wouldnt be comfortable discussing the internal investigation, Richards said. We can say comfortably that over 1,100 search warrants were executed last year and 580 to date this year and that, with such a high volume and such a fast-paced environment, it is understandable that mistakes could happen.

Pennyamon remains unconvinced it was a mistake. She says officers told her they had raided the house before and she believes they felt entitled to do it again  warrant or not.

The way they make it seem is we can do whatever we want,  she said.

Pennyamons troubled by what she says is an arrogance by police officers and an unwillingness to serve and protect those who need it.

Its a sad situation. Ive always looked up to the police. Ive always expected them to be on my side.

Pennyamon was called home from her job as a certified nursing assistant at a local health care facility at about 6:30 p. m. Wednesday to find police at her house, her children partially dressed on the porch and her husband  a U.S. Air Force veteran  injured. She said police were rude and unapologetic.

It was a harsh welcome to the neighborhood for the family. Theyve only lived at the apartment on Sherwood Street, on the far West Side just south of West Ferry Street, for two weeks after she says they moved from the East Side to escape crime. Now, Pennyamon said, the family already is looking to relocate again.

I dont know what was going on upstairs, but it gives police no right to bust in my doors, she said. Thats just ridiculous.

Richards said police protocol dictates that search warrants are executed by police first announcing their presence and then quickly and forcefully entering a property with guns drawn for their own protection.

Police have been faced with fortified doors and windows. In numerous locations, theyve been met with individuals armed with weapons or attacking animals, he said.

Pennyamon said the event left her husband with physical injuries and left a lasting impression on the children.

She said her husband, Terrell, suffered a dislocated arm after he was yanked up by police during the raid and is expected to return to his doctor Monday to possibly have glass  left behind by the door window police broke to get into the apartment  surgically removed from his foot.

Pennyamons 5-year-old daughter now sleeps with her.

My 12-year-old and 6-year-old dont want to be home at all, she said, adding that her younger children cower or run to the back of the house when they hear anyone approaching.

Thats the police, they say, Pennyamon said.

Police said no arrests were made in the subsequent raid at the upstairs apartment.

tpignataro@buffnews.com

I hope the cops understand when a heavily armed homeowner shoots a few cops breaking in by "mistake"  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Another "rare" wrong house raid
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »
No, they won't. Remember Cory Maye?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
It seems like this is happening more lately. Or is it just being reported on more often?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »
We just got through with an audit of our air permit by the state environmental agency.  When these guys find a mistake, they don't just say "Oh well, you do this paperwork all the time, mistakes happen".  They say "that is a violation". 

In the same vain, the goal of these departments should be ZERO incidents such as this.  They should have checklists they do before each raid on-site to verify all this information before they go in.  This isn't rocket science.  I don't want to hear the local supervisor making excuses, what I want to hear is that he will find out what went wrong and fix it so it NEVER happens again.  That would be an answer I want to hear. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:29:50 PM »
If my elderly Mom can deliver 50-60 special delivery letters and several hundred normal letters to the right addresses, every day, so can Buffalo's finest.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 02:20:57 PM »
maybe they should bring the local mail carrier with them?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »
It seems like this is happening more lately. Or is it just being reported on more often?
I think it's always happened.  We just notice it more often now.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »

It's become more frequent over the last decade, I think - at least accoridng to what few research there is on this.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »
maybe they should bring the local mail carrier with them?

Bad idea, they'd shoot everyone..... grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 05:53:21 PM »

Well, I could be wrong, but I think that part of the problem is that 'no-knocks' and 'rapid entries' where they knock once before employing the battering ram are, for the level of the population, as high or higher than the height of prohibition.

I've gotten mail for the wrong house before, and had mail for me given to me by the neighbors because it ended up in the wrong box.

I blame the war on drugs for 99% of this stuff.  If all police raided for was suspected slavery, hostages, etc...  Then we wouldn't have this problem.  Tactical entries would be so rare that while a mistaken raid one would make the news - it wouldn't be so frequent to piss people off, and the reason for the raid would have people nodding that a raid was warranted.

Mistakes happen, but we have people performing raids day in and day out - several a week.  They get tired and sloppy, and haven't been properly reigned in because most people aren't disgusted enough to elect people who WILL fix the problem.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 06:59:23 PM »
If my elderly Mom can deliver 50-60 special delivery letters and several hundred normal letters to the right addresses, every day, so can Buffalo's finest.

The difference is accountability.  If your mom consistently routed mail incorrectly, she'd likely be fired.  I don't think the same would apply to Buffalo's narcotic folks.

Call me funny, but if I were a cop, I'd really dislike no knock raids.  Most people leave their home often.  It's easier to snag someone when they're buying a pack of smokes than when they're doing Gods know what in their home.  Plus, there is a limit to how much hardware a person generally takes outside their house or apartment.   If you were picking someone up outside their house, you can choose the time, location and terrain (within limits).  An occupant generally knows his house or apartment better than the police.  Not a good tactical situation.  Plus, less chance of them destroying evidence if they are very far away from it.  Additionally, less of a chance of folks accidently shooting grandma or someone that is bed-ridden.  Bad, that.

Short of hostage situations or other rare emergencies, why the heck WOULD the cops want to do "no knock", "dynamic entry", "tactical entry", et al type raids? 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »
Short of hostage situations or other rare emergencies, why the heck WOULD the cops want to do "no knock", "dynamic entry", "tactical entry", et al type raids? 

Only thing I can think of is that some/many gangbanger types arrange for their place of business(often a home) to be occupied at all times to prevent cops from simply coming in when they're not home.

Then again, a couple days surveillance, which can easily be done by camera today, and the cops would:
A: Now how many people are in the place with a high degree of accuracy
B: When they're the most active
C: Common visitors - client list
D: That they actually have the right address
E: That they're actually dealing drugs - get a warrant to arrest a few of the likeliest holders of drugs, a few possessions and you have evidence
F: How likely they are to have weapons, and to resist.  Due to the amount of consequences for shooting at cops, many drug dealers will surrender quietly if you give them a chance.

For that matter, I've heard of some police getting real creative - they put a tap on the place's sewer line, and caught the flushed drugs when the uniformed police simply knocked on the door with a warrant.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 07:14:08 PM »
I blame the war on drugs for 99% of this stuff.

true except i think the percentage is too low.  can you think of a wrong raid that wasn't dope related?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 07:19:20 PM »
all me funny, but if I were a cop, I'd really dislike no knock raids.  Most people leave their home often.  It's easier to snag someone when they're buying a pack of smokes than when they're doing Gods know what in their home.  Plus, there is a limit to how much hardware a person generally takes outside their house or apartment.   If you were picking someone up outside their house, you can choose the time, location and terrain (within limits)

But it's more fun to break in the door, shoot the dogs and stomp on the cats, kill innocent family members, and burn the house down!

They've got to justify the departmental expenses for the whizzbang weaponry, APCs with .50 cals, and other neat toys, too...

rolleyes

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »
why the heck WOULD the cops want to do "no knock",
in order to get a real strong case you need to catch em in the house with the dope preferably in the open with them in the same room. otherwise a good dope lawyer will beat it or plead it down. and dopers get good lawyers. though that does lead to another issue if they can really nail em get the dope and all the money the doper has to get right back in the game to come up with lawyer money. and some slick cops know that and get em a second time on the rebound. i know a guy got tagged with a coupkle ounces of coke and a gun on monday in myrtle beach   bailed out and got caught the next day with 2 more ounces  they followed him right from jail  got him and his connection.other criminals do the same thing  have to do a pay the lawyer job when they make bond
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 10:28:04 PM »
I blame the war on drugs for 99% of this stuff.

true except i think the percentage is too low.  can you think of a wrong raid that wasn't dope related?

A wrong-house raid? Or a paramilitary raid that went terribly wrong?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 01:17:52 AM »
Maybe we need to start requiring SWAT and Narc teams to be bonded.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 01:56:10 AM »
A wrong-house raid? Or a paramilitary raid that went terribly wrong?

Serious law enforcement problems in general.

It's either WoD, or caused by the attitude caused by the WoD.

The other major problem with police is governments trying to use tickets as revenue generators - but we'd need a whole lot less of that if we didn't have a WoD, and taxed them instead, now would we?  So we're back to the WoD.  Wink

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 02:40:38 AM »
No, they won't. Remember Cory Maye?

Or Ryan Frederick in Chesapeake, VA.  That's an even worse story than Maye's, if you ask me.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 03:51:22 AM »
When cops raid the wrong house - one they do not have a warrant for - each one of them ought to be charged with everything from felony home invasion to (if children are present) felony endangerment of a child.

On a slightly lighter note, I remember seeing, decades ago, a raid on a place in Chicago on which the police invited along a news crew. They announced, and then had at the door with sledgehammers. (This was before the "police issue" battering rams were standard.) They kept pounding, and pounding . . . until a little window in the door opened and a guy inquired as to what the hades they thought they were doing.

They responded "Police! Warrant! Open up!"

The guy responded with words to the effect of "Ah don't have ta open until youse shows me da warrant!"

There were more words exchanged, but the guy WOULD NOT open until they showed the warrant.

Finally they found it, and held it up for him to read . . . whereupon he did open up.

The door was built out of what looked like 2x10s, with 2x4s as bars, just like a castle gate from an old Errol Flynn movie. They asked him why the strong door, and he responded "Lotsa crime here, and youse cops don't pertect us none."  angel

Cops didn't find anything illegal . . .  police
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 04:05:58 AM »

No, I don't think it's always happened.

Once upon a time, it was blue lights and a bullhorn outside, not:

*CRASH* GETONTHEFLOORNOW*BANG**BANG*GETDOWNFLOORNOWHUTHUTHUTAHHH*BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG*

...for alleged activities. The police are now paramilitary.

Call me funny, but if I were a cop, I'd really dislike no knock raids.

Adrenaline rush for those inclined to enjoy the tactical ninja things. With no consequences if they make mistakes and hurt innocent people.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 05:08:38 AM »
cops have been doing raids like this for at least 30 years. they dress different have flashbangs now.and while i know this might upset the mindset here they killed a greater percentage of folks doing em back then as well as were able to do them without a lot of pesky lawyers and such. they often would literally come in shooting if they were in a place where that kinda action was percieved as being warranted. having been in a place taken down by a swat style team i can assure you its much  different than a video game. its over before you know what happened and they didn't even flash bang us.back then it was ussually done to someone society had deemed "bad" and no big deal. it wasn't till they started raiding white folks in suburbia that it became an issue. they hate losing a good dope connection and make much noise then

taurusowner

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 05:16:54 AM »

National instant media coverage of any event in any town in the entire nation can certainly skew "rare" in an interesting way.  This type of botched raid is probably happening a lot more than is being reported.  BUT successful warranted raids are probably happening a lot more than that, and those aren't reported at all.  We're seeing the world as the media wants us to see it, not as it is.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 07:02:32 AM »
My obligatory link:
http://www.cato.org/raidmap
This kind of thing happens quite a lot.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 07:04:48 AM »
Do you have any stats to back this up, cs-daddy?

Not attacking you or anything, but I read a huge detailed white paper with stats that pointed SWAT teams and their activities were becoming more common.