Author Topic: Removing Rivets  (Read 6836 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Removing Rivets
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 07:37:38 PM »
When you run out of golf balls, you can load it up with rivets  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »
clue: "fore!"

properly sized bamboo with some vine wrapped around it wouldn't work?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »
How about some sced 80 steel pipe reamed out to the proper ID? I had a bud make a black powder rifle out of a piece of sched 40 1/2" steel pipe.

1/2" pipe is exactly .50 cal,,, imagine that.  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
I like a swivel gun to mount on my deck railing  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
I like a swivel gun to mount on my deck railing  =)
Hmmm, for that I believe the 2.00 caliber sched 80 pipe should be just fine. Wear earplugs though.  ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »
Hmmm, for that I believe the 2.00 caliber sched 80 pipe should be just fine. Wear earplugs though.  ;)

Probably should re-inforce the railing, too  =|

Newton and all that ....

280plus

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »
Did I ever tell you about the Civil war memoir book I have that talks about how they lashed those big mortars to the foc'sles of schooners and popped them off? Yea, they liked tto break loose I guess. The rule was you don't stand behind them. Actually has a chart as to how much powder to use at what range and angle. In case anyone needs that info.  ;)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »
You know, I just realized, I can scan that story in now.   :cool:

gimme a couple tw three days and I will.  ;)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »
I've seen on Teh Interwebz that steel pipe is NOT recommended, since the folks who make it are concerned only about 1-2,000 psi events... And what I'm worried about (and why Project Tiger is going to have approx 1" thick walls) is Bubba figuring out that he's going to make it work better by stuffing in 40-50 grains of Bullseye.
Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »
Yup, my buddy still made it and used it to hunt. He's still kicking so I guess he didn't blow up. Of course we're talking black powder not smokeless in hs case.  ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »
Yup, my buddy still made it and used it to hunt. He's still kicking so I guess he didn't blow up. Of course we're talking black powder not smokeless in hs case.  ;)

Probably stronger than some of those old original barrels.  =|

Didn't they used to make shotgun barrels by wrapping wire around a mandrell and then hammering it  ???

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
And there's a reason why they don't make them that way anymore...

Blog under construction

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2011, 06:10:44 PM »
Couldn't you just wrap some duct tape around the water pipe, just to be on the safe side ?

=D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
Sure, that'll work.  =D

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2011, 07:15:40 PM »
add the next size up pipe to cover the first, build a jig to hold them aligned then fill the gap between them with 24hour epoxy. :laugh: now then, who's going to try the 1 1/2 inch pipe to make the 1½ gauge? =D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
add the next size up pipe to cover the first, build a jig to hold them aligned then fill the gap between them with 24hour epoxy. :laugh: now then, who's going to try the 1 1/2 inch pipe to make the 1½ gauge? =D

Sewer pipe and croquet balls.

Be sure to wear a coonskin hat  ;)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
We used to make "cannons" out of copper pipe and the projectiles were balls of duct tape. M80s were the charge. Can't remember exactly how we did it but them balls would go pretty far.  ;)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »
I've seen on Teh Interwebz that steel pipe is NOT recommended, since the folks who make it are concerned only about 1-2,000 psi events... And what I'm worried about (and why Project Tiger is going to have approx 1" thick walls) is Bubba figuring out that he's going to make it work better by stuffing in 40-50 grains of Bullseye.

http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/cannon.html

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
We used to make "cannons" out of copper pipe and the projectiles were balls of duct tape. M80s were the charge. Can't remember exactly how we did it but them balls would go pretty far.  ;)

i remember using the old style soda cans.  cut out the tops and bottoms of 4, duct tape them together.  then use a can opener to make a perforated top in the 5th can duct taped on the bottom. punch a small tuoch hole in the side of the bottom can.  add some lighter fluid and a tennis ball and whoooomp. even better if you would squirt some lighter fluid on the ball first.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 09:01:06 PM »
YEa, I think we used lighter fluid too but I definitely remember using M80s. Lotta power in them things.  :O

One time a buddy of mine broke his brand new $300 Zildjan crash cymbal. So we took it outside, set it over an M80 with the fuse sticking out the hole and lit it off. That cymbal went straight up in the air flat and level as can be just like you would imagine a flying saucer taking off. It cleared the roof of a 5 story building we were behind by at least 10 feet. Then it hovered for a second and came back down edge first and made a resounding, well, CRAAAAASH!!! So one guy says, "THAT WAS COOOOOL" Someone else says, "Let's do it again!!" and out of the darkness from who knows where we hear, "YOU BETTER NOT OR I'M CALLING THE COPS!!"  :lol: