Author Topic: Marriage number...what?  (Read 6665 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Marriage number...what?
« on: September 26, 2006, 07:33:31 PM »
In a much earlier thread about the Boss from Hell, I described what now seems like the most stressful work environment I've ever experienced.

After writing that thread, I emailed my boss from 20+ years ago (he was the nice guy, not the bitch), and asked him to give me a phone call to just talk about old times, if he was up to doing so.

Well, he called today, and we talked for nearly two hours--about photography, about the old days at his studio, about his now ex-wife, and everything else.

Here's what really hit me, after all we'd talked about: I don't know how many marriages he's been through. He may be on his second, or third.

But his bitch of an ex-wife is now on her fourth.

And her brother is now on his fifth marriage.

Just how big a cluebat do you need to hit someone with to make him or her realize that: a) he or she could probably achieved the same goals at a Super 8; b) fidelity isn't exactly in that person's DNA, and; c) he or she isn't really liked by what I would call "normal people?"

One of the funniest moments in my talk with my ex-boss was when he asked me what number marriage I was on.

I said, "what?"

He said," second, third?"

I said, "no, #1. Last June was 29 years of marriage, and 38 years since I met my wife."

I guess some people trade marriages the way kids trade baseball cards.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 07:46:49 PM »
Yeah I don't get it either.  My parents are going to have their 36th anniversary around Thanksgiving time.  My wife and I are still pretty young so we're only up to 5 years at the end of December, but she's 25 (I'm 29) so we've got a ways to go.  2 kids down, hopefully 2 more to go.  Short of one us croaking while the other is still young enough to re-marry I don't see either of us winding up with multiple marriages.

Anyway, my MIL is on marriage 4.  First was a dumb mistake at like 17 and lasted a couple months.  Then my FIL.  That one lasted 13 years or so, and then she left him (he became abusive to her after they had kids).  Then #3 was cut short after about 5 years by a aneurysm (he was all of 52 at the time).  Can't really blame her for that one ending.  Her current hubby is on marriage #3, but they've been together now for 10 years.  Surprised me since they tied the knot only 2 months after they met, but hey, it's worked for them so far.
Formerly sumpnz

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 07:47:48 PM »
My boss is on marriage #5, but it looks like he got it right this time.

Getting sober surely helped.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:53:36 PM »
Just for point of reference: last month, my parents (mother 88 years old, father 89 years old), celebrated their 69th anniversary.

I don't know what to say beyond that, except that things were just different when they grew up, and they taught me some of those things.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 08:02:41 PM »
If at first you don't succeed...

SomeKid

Marriage number...what?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 08:38:18 PM »
I had a boss who a year or so ago did #7. Nice woman, just has a horrible pick in men, she always scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

Me? 0. Staying that way. Women are for fun, not living with.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 08:47:01 PM »
SomeKid, do yourself a favor: find yourself a young Polish girl who ain't afraid of work.

You'll be happy the rest of your life. Wink

mtnbkr

• friend
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 02:33:39 AM »
Nobody in my family or my wife's family has ever been divorced.  Ever.  The only folks that have had more than one spouse are the ones who married again after the death of the first one.

My parents have been together for 34 years.
My wife's parents have been together for about the same.
My dad's parents were together for 58 years before my grandmother passed away last month.
My mom's parents were together for probably 25 years or more before my grandfather passed away 27 years ago.
My wife's maternal grandparents have been together for nearly 70years.
My wife's paternal grandparents have been together for close to 60 years I think.
Various aunts and uncles on both sides have been together for 17+ years.

We've been together for 5 so far, but we dated for 10 prior.

Chris

mfree

• friend
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 02:48:28 AM »
Marriage... no. Almost once, that was enough.

I don't even date anymore, there's no time left out of my week nor cash in the general fund to play some woman's silly "buy me this darling or I won't love you" game.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 02:55:25 AM »
Today is the 27th of Sept 06 and I have been married to my wife for 25 years 364 days.  Tomorrow is our 26th anniversary, it is also my parents 60th and her parents 61st. as far as I know my family does not have a divorce backat least 150 years, and my wife's family her Father's Dad left after a number of years and his mom remarried.  My wife's father's family is weird, some have been divorced but many are more than half a bubble off center, His mom was a bitter woman.
Brian
<><
:)

mtnbkr

• friend
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 02:56:32 AM »
"buy me this darling or I won't love you"
You're hanging around the wrong women if that's the game they're playing.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 03:49:45 AM »
#1, 29.5 years, so it looks like it took.

"buy me this darling or I won't love you"

You're hanging around the wrong women if that's the game they're playing.
That's what you call a "ho", right?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 04:10:08 AM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
Just for point of reference: last month, my parents (mother 88 years old, father 89 years old), celebrated their 69th anniversary.

I don't know what to say beyond that, except that things were just different when they grew up, and they taught me some of those things.
There's a joke about an elderly couple who celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary.  The next day they went to their lawyer to see about a divorce.  The lawyer asked them, after 75 years why do you want a divorce now?  They answered "we were just waiting until the children were dead."

Married 16 years, same woman, first marriage for both of us.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Marriage number...what?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 06:09:21 AM »
22 years same woman.

We're going to a 70th wedding anniversary for the parents of some friends next weekend.  

I like what Zig Ziglar once said about marriage:
"You know, the redhead and I have been married 32 years and never once have we thought about divorce.

...oh, murder, now that crosses our minds all the time, but NEVER divorce." Wink

Some people are just wired to stay together.
Isn't it true that if you come from a divorced mom & dad, you're more likely to do so yourself?

41 Redhawk

Marriage number...what?
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 06:11:01 AM »
This past May it has been 27 yrs for me and my one and only wife.

Marriage is far more about commitment than love.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 06:21:57 AM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
Some people are just wired to stay together.
Isn't it true that if you come from a divorced mom & dad, you're more likely to do so yourself?
Our ideas about family usually come from our own family.  That's why child abuse and other forms of domestic violence pass from one generation to the next.  More specifically, if a man treats his wife and daughter(s) well, the daughters expect such treatment from their romantic partners, and won't settle for an uncaring or abusive man.  It is a theory of mine, that a big reason for promiscuity among young women today is the lack of a father in the household.  Without proper attention from their fathers, they are looking for affection in all the wrong places, and trading way too much to get it.  Women seem to tend to a low self-image, and will settle for less without proper positive affirmation.  
Edit:  Yeah, guys usually are promiscuous, but the girls determine how far the boys can go.

Having said all that about family, the culture at large affects families as well.  In a culture where divorce is socially acceptable, it becomes the easy way out.  Loving a person can be difficult.  And why worry about long-term compatability when you can get out so easily?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 06:46:19 AM »
First for me, 2nd for wife.
My parents are still together, neither of hers are (or were).

6 years next month.

Oh, and her first?  He met his first "girlfriend" on their honeymoon.
One day at a time.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 06:54:06 AM »
My wife and I are both on our first. 8 years now.

All of our parents are divorced. Mine after 5 years when I was only two. Semi-amicable, mom had to go "find herself".

My FIL left after 20 years when my wife and BIL were in college.

All are re-married, and second marriages seem to be holding.

I think that it's colored our attitudes though. Either of us would have to be an axe murderer, a junkie, or incarcerated felon, or whatnot before we'd leave the other. So perhaps it's not for some wonderful feeling of comittment, but I think we'll go the distance...
I promise not to duck.

BozemanMT

• friend
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 06:57:40 AM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg

wow!!!!!!!!1
that's impressive
congrats to them both.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

The Rabbi

• friend
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 07:18:27 AM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
Probably.  People tend to replicate patterns they saw at home.  The key word is tend.
My parents had a horrible messy knock-down-drag-out divorce when I was 6.  The animosity lasted 15 years until my father died.  I was bound and determined not to repeat that and worked very very hard on my marriage.  Similarly with abused children etc, people can outgrow their situations.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 07:57:56 AM »
A common question that I faced was- "Your Girlfriend (now wife) has never been around a functional relationship.  What makes you think that she knows how to be in a functioning one?"

My answer?  "She knows what DOESN'T work, now doesn't she?  She also knows that she does not want that!"
One day at a time.

USP45usp

• friend
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 08:19:46 AM »
0, and I'm 38 years old.

Never met the right woman, yet (maybe, hopefully?, maybe never?).  If I marry it is for life, that means if she wants a divorce then she will have to kill me (which is why I may hire a food taster if ever married Cheesy ).

I guess some people just aren't cut out for marriage, or having kids.  Don't know if I am one of those or not.  I've seen/heard of people getting married in their late 40's so I may still have a chance.

The way I figure it, if God wants me to have a wife He will issue me one lol.

For those on their first, or their second that has lasted so far, I congradulate you.  Marriage now days is like Monkey said, it's like kids trading baseball cards Sad .

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 12:35:39 PM »
Fistful, that was a really good post.

I was very cautious about getting married. My brother suffered a nervous breakdown after his divorce. I was just fifteen at the time, and he had the breakdown at my folk's house, right in front of me. I scared the daylights out of me to see it.

When I went to visit him in the mental ward, he was totally out of it. Went through shock therapy and everything else.

That made me determined to go into marriage ONLY if I was certain that it would work.

Funny thing is, my best friend always told me that my marriage wouldn't last, because my wife and I fought so much.

We did, but we apologized to each other even better. Wink

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 12:40:20 PM »
This reminds me of a saying about marriage statistics.

"Most marriages end in divorce, but most married people never divorce"

It's like the female surgeon riddles.

What it turns out is that you're statistically far more likely to divorce again if you've already had one.  I knew a guy who had been divorced eight times.  So he counts in the divorce rate coloumn eight times, while those of you who've never divorced only get counted once.

Do it right the first time. Wink

The Rabbi

• friend
Marriage number...what?
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 01:09:08 PM »
Quote from: Firethorn
I knew a guy who had been divorced eight times.
I often think to tell people in that situation: "next time get a goldfish.  With a goldfish you can just flush them down the toilet when you get tired of them."