Author Topic: Rice for breakfast  (Read 6870 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Rice for breakfast
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »
I've also cold smoked some potato flakes over mesquite (letting the smoker grill burn out, and decided to get some use out of the smoke) to make a great instant potato soup.  Again, the same works with other dried veggies.

I gotta get another dehydrator: I miss having stuff like that around.

Interesting...  the concept of smoking veggies and what not prior to making soup/stew out of them.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 06:59:42 PM »
^^^^

That is an interesting concept. I can see cold smoking a bunch of veggies and then sealing and freezing them in smaller batches to be used in soups and stews and gumbos. If fact I am getting ready to make a pot of shrimp gumbo, maybe I will break out the cold smoker and do a few of the veggies. Kind of a twist that may turn out good.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
You slice the potatoes thin and bring them to a boil with the water.

You can go from spuds to mash in 15 to 20 minutes.

Well worth the extra time, especially if you add some crushed garlic partway through the cooking.

Even better, if you have an electric kettle, you start heating the cooking water as you clean and cut the spuds.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2016, 06:10:25 AM »
"Now, if we start talking about mac and cheese, I actually DO prefer instant, unless it is a particularly good one made from scratch.)"

I'm OK with Kraft box. You can do some good things to it to really jazz it up and turn it from a side into a complete meal.

That is one case where it is far easier to make the box mix than it is to make it from scratch.

I make a tremendously good mac and cheese. Mtnbkr and his family have had it, and my Mom just raves over it.

But, it takes at least 3 hours to make from scratch, NOT including the time you have to spend shopping for it. I use 3 different kinds of cheeses, Anaheim peppers, an egg tempered in to provide additional richness, and often ham or other meat. I adapted the recipe from one Alton Brown presented on his show some years ago.

It's exceptionally good, but as I said, exceptionally time consuming, so I only make it for special occasions.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2016, 06:12:31 AM »
"I mean, what kind of person would get into a fight about cornbread potatoes??)"

Fill your spuds, you son of a bitch!

:rofl:

I'm going to try the fried spam coated in potato flakes this weekend, I think. Which means I need to buy Spam, and I need to buy potato flakes.

And statins. More statins.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2016, 07:34:07 AM »
I've also cold smoked some potato flakes over mesquite (letting the smoker grill burn out, and decided to get some use out of the smoke) to make a great instant potato soup.  Again, the same works with other dried veggies.

I gotta get another dehydrator: I miss having stuff like that around.
Oh come now. I'm sure five minutes in some old guys shed and you could make yourself a super nifty dehydrator.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
You slice the potatoes thin and bring them to a boil with the water.

You can go from spuds to mash in 15 to 20 minutes.

Well worth the extra time, especially if you add some crushed garlic partway through the cooking.

Even better, if you have an electric kettle, you start heating the cooking water as you clean and cut the spuds.

Separate pot while the potatoes are cooking. About the amount of milk you'll need, butter, and a couple garlic cloves (bonus points if you roast the garlic). Lightly simmer that and add the hot milk to the hot potatoes during mashing.

Also, making mashed potatoes with evaporated milk is heavenly. 

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
Making real mashed potatoes with *milk* is heresy!

You make them with, at a minimum, half and half and butter, even better is light cream and butter.

Throwing in a big glob of sour cream isn't a bad idea, nor is cream cheese (or other kinds of cheese).

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
"Now, if we start talking about mac and cheese, I actually DO prefer instant, unless it is a particularly good one made from scratch.)"

I'm OK with Kraft box. You can do some good things to it to really jazz it up and turn it from a side into a complete meal.

That is one case where it is far easier to make the box mix than it is to make it from scratch.

I make a tremendously good mac and cheese. Mtnbkr and his family have had it, and my Mom just raves over it.

But, it takes at least 3 hours to make from scratch, NOT including the time you have to spend shopping for it. I use 3 different kinds of cheeses, Anaheim peppers, an egg tempered in to provide additional richness, and often ham or other meat. I adapted the recipe from one Alton Brown presented on his show some years ago.

It's exceptionally good, but as I said, exceptionally time consuming, so I only make it for special occasions.

On one occassion, I filled my dutch oven with homemade mac and cheese, and instead of baking it, I put it on my charcoal grill.  Man, was that good...like lightly smoked mac and cheese.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2016, 11:41:47 AM »
On one occassion, I filled my dutch oven with homemade mac and cheese, and instead of baking it, I put it on my charcoal grill.  Man, was that good...like lightly smoked mac and cheese.

Oh god I want that.  Curse my low carb diet.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »
In other words, you baked it on your charcoal grill... Yes, your grill (if covered) is just an oven...

And I concur...

GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE OH GOD GIMMIE!!!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2016, 01:07:14 PM »
Interesting...  the concept of smoking veggies and what not prior to making soup/stew out of them.

We used to mesquite grill zucchini for all sorts of things, and of course, cold smoking was a pretty common way of dehydrating before electric tabletop units.  Then I found the giant box of potato flakes, and started experimenting with smoking stuff that was already dehydrated.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2016, 01:08:45 PM »
Oh come now. I'm sure five minutes in some old guys shed and you could make yourself a super nifty dehydrator.

I've made a few, of different types, but there's a lot to be said for the handy multi-tray plug-in-and-ignore ones.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2016, 01:29:19 PM »
Making real mashed potatoes with *milk* is heresy!

You make them with, at a minimum, half and half and butter, even better is light cream and butter.

Throwing in a big glob of sour cream isn't a bad idea, nor is cream cheese (or other kinds of cheese).
I agree. Though I have to do it when the wife isn't looking.

Evaporated milk, however, is acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »
I've made a few, of different types, but there's a lot to be said for the handy multi-tray plug-in-and-ignore ones.
Imposter! Who are you and what have you done with the real KD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »
Imposter! Who are you and what have you done with the real KD?

My wiring won't handle running the hair dryer for 10-12 hours at a time.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »
I'll take bacon and eggs, pancakes, waffles, and sausage.  Y'all can have the rice.   :)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
Chris,  thanks for the spamcake recipe.  We tried that with dinner tonight and it was quite tasty! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2016, 11:38:22 PM »
I got potato flakes but forgot Spam...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2016, 11:41:23 PM »
Every try the dehydrated hash browns?  I love those for camping.

We do a bacon and dehydrated hash brown breakfast on our layover day in the boundary waters.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

T.O.M.

• friend
Re:
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
Chris,  thanks for the spamcake recipe.  We tried that with dinner tonight and it was quite tasty! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You're welcome.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark