Author Topic: How are our Texans holding up?  (Read 9494 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: How are our Texans holding up?
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 09:08:01 AM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/29/awesome-houston-business-owner-mattressmack-turned-his-furniture-stores-into-shelters/

Mattress Mack has been a community fixture for decades.  Last time there was a major flood he let people bring in mattresses purchased from him that were ruined for exchange.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
I txt my good friend this morning to inquire about his son and fiance. His son lives just outside Houston and we are going to his wedding in a couple months. He said they are ok but soon to be evac'd because of the dam. The son and fiance apparently saved some bonehead's life yesterday after his I'm-gonna-kayak-the-flood got too adventuresome.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
Had to refresh myself on what the "Cajun Navy" was.

Here's something I found re the logistics, communication, and navigation difficulties in the rescue operations.

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/08/cajun_navy_louisiana_floods_re.html

You hitch your boat up to your truck, you get out there, and there's no boat launching facility.

Apparently, airboats are better since they can navigate around despite underwater hazards to an outboard engine.

Et cetera.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
Shooting and looting . Look a the # tag

[img]https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21149911_10209444158004163_3784768407832962068_n.jpg?oh=298a218ef3737245ae31a34dd9baed2f&oe=5A5B25BF

I can only hope that most Houstonians grabbed their guns along with their emergency supplies and that they use them in accordance with Texas law.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
You hitch your boat up to your truck, you get out there, and there's no boat launching facility.

Innercity and suburban boat slips* will be in the federal aid package, no doubt.

I can only hope that most Houstonians grabbed their guns along with their emergency supplies and that they use them in accordance with Texas law.

Stand your ground patch of Lake Houston.

*Or ramps, whatever they call those things. I do not live the Salt Life. I don't even live the Fresh Water Life, aside from the occasional canoe trip.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »
Innercity and suburban boat slips* will be in the federal aid package, no doubt.

Stand your ground patch of Lake Houston.

*Or ramps, whatever they call those things. I do not live the Salt Life. I don't even live the Fresh Water Life, aside from the occasional canoe trip.

"Ramp" would be the appropriate term. a "slip" is a docking space at a floating pier in a marina for seasonal parking when not actually out on the water doing oat stuff.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• friend
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
On the other hand, religious sales weasel, Joel Osteen, was refusing to open the doors to his 16,000 seat mega-church.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/29/joel-osteen-who-houston-megachurch-pastor-accused-not-sheltering-harvey-victims/611884001/

Why should he open his nice, shiny church? There was a gummint shelter already open right nearby.

Scumbag! (Osteen, not Fly320s)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 04:48:55 PM »
On the other hand, religious sales weasel, Joel Osteen, was refusing to open the doors to his 16,000 seat mega-church.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/29/joel-osteen-who-houston-megachurch-pastor-accused-not-sheltering-harvey-victims/611884001/
I saw a twitter thing that they were opening it.  But, that "church" is the old Summit basketball stadium.  The floor is probably below grade and it has lots of underground parking.  

I do find it odd that the article only says they were "accused" and it went on to say they were sheltering people.  Sounds like the person writing the article has no idea what they are doing.  I will be curious to see if there is any follow up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 05:40:55 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/us/joel-osteen-houston-megachurch-criticism/index.html
Lakewood Church was under fire after apparently not opening up the church to flood victims. The church disputed online criticism, stating "we are prepared to shelter people once the cities and county shelters reach capacity."
I know my way through the bible.  That ain't what Christ said to do. 
Meanwhile, a friend who's a member of another mega church in Houston posted pictures of their pastor's flooded cars and home. That church has 1100 refugees in it and the pastor has been there non stop.
The only thing Lakewood was prepared to shelter was the Osteen's taxes.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
Not to at all take away from Houston concerns, but wow -- whitecaps on the Interstate in Beaumont. Possibly just camera angles, but that's absolutely surreal to me. On the way to Waterworld.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/30/as-bad-if-not-worse-than-houston-harvey-strikes-beaumont-and-port-arthur-tx-makes-landfall-in-louisiana/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 12:49:53 PM »
Since dogs qualify as Texans too, I thought this was a neat thing to do:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/30/ceo-of-technobuffalo-will-pay-for-your-adoption-of-dogs-from-houston-fees-transportation/

Though the not nice part of me kinda hopes the former owners drown.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
I'm no fan of Osteen's, but I've had my doubts about the rumors that have been going around about Lakewood.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/20437/joel-osteen-opens-we-never-turned-anyone-away-paul-bois

http://www.dailywire.com/news/20366/update-did-joel-osteen-really-deny-hurricane-paul-bois

Draw your own conclusions.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:41:01 AM by fistful »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »
I'm no fan of Osteen's, but I've had my doubts about the rumors that have been going around about Lakewood. Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/20437/joel-osteen-opens-we-never-turned-anyone-away-paul-bois

http://www.dailywire.com/news/20366/update-did-joel-osteen-really-deny-hurricane-paul-bois

I was pretty quick to believe the initial reports (because I don't like Olsteen), but I didn't help spread them.  His explanation makes sense, and I have forwarded the pics of the flooding inside his facility.

He is housing flood victims now (started yesterday), and set up a distribution center.  His church has helped flood victims in the past.  What have his accusers done?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
What have his accusers done?

I think that is going to be a central theme for a lot of stuff I see going on regarding criticism of whichever villain of the day that is either "not doing enough" or "doing it wrong". Most of the accusers don't seem to be doing anything except running their mouths about politics, shoes, and race.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/jameshahnII/videos/10159134037610237/

Facebook Live post made yesterday I believe. Watch for yourself.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• friend
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 03:03:07 PM »
http://babylonbee.com/news/joel-osteen-sails-luxury-yacht-flooded-houston-pass-copies-best-life-now/
I am trying to imagine what water depth the pictured "yacht" would need to move around and figure out exactly where it could go in Houston.     =D    
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 03:42:21 PM »
I would add that lots of the refineries and chemical plants along the Gulf Coast have shut down or cut back heavily.  Our site is down completely due to low customer demand.  Phillips refinery in Sweeny has largely shut down since they can't be sure employees will be able to get in to work.  Several plants at Chocolate Bayou (near Angleton) were flooded.  A lot of the plants in Houston area and Beaumont/ Port Arthur area are cut back or shut down.  Just about all businesses in the areas were shut down for the hurricane.  A lot of stores like Academy having opened back up.  Several restaurants here have reopened.  I see facebook posts of restaurants that can open making food for rescue personnel.  I saw a note that a couple of the schools are serving meals to anyone who wants to show up.  They are shut down otherwise.

At this point I am not watching the news at all.  Non-stop flood coverage is tiring.  My boss found out the local indoor gun range is open so we may go shoot off some rounds in a little bit.  Everyone is geared up for massive flooding in our area.  My boss is getting the loan of a boat to go into his neighborhood tomorrow and see how his house is doing.  The neighborhood entrance is flooded and deputies have barriers up and won't let anyone in.  If it is like last year, just about every spare county employee not doing something else is manning road barricades in critical places to keep people from entering evacuated areas.  It will likely be at least a week before river levels drop enough to drain out these areas and open things back up.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2017, 06:42:53 PM »
RE: Joel Osteen.

People crying and hollering about why they ain't opening the church for the flood but won't come near 1 when it's clear outside.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 07:45:27 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/jameshahnII/videos/10159134037610237/

Facebook Live post made yesterday I believe. Watch for yourself.

I give him the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that he walked three miles to the church doesn't help me understand whether or not the church is "accessible" to the people that actually need it. It doesn't tell me whether or not that other shelter is closer, or if anyone was turned away from staying at the church.

I have to give Joel the benefit of the doubt, too. It would be nice to hear from the city, about what kind of coordination was going on.

I'm going to guess the church was just not very well prepared, and is hesitant to admit it.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2017, 09:14:13 PM »
The megachurch guy was interviewed on the Today show this morning. *shrug* He seems like a slimball but he said that their building had flooded before and they weren't sure it wouldn't flood again so they waited.
Slimball or not, I'm not sure of the point of opening a shelter only to have to move everyone because the shelter flooded.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds