Author Topic: To anyone who was on THR: Goodbye (banned)  (Read 5464 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
To anyone who was on THR: Goodbye (banned)
« on: January 28, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »
Apparently, you ought not to question a moderator's state as being not free (IL) when they say that RealID is not an infringement on rights. It was either that, or that I'd suggested that a new user who said that a raped woman "deserved it" due to how she was dressed might be a troll. I have no idea. Whichever mod did it apparently did so in a fit of petulance without even giving a reason.

All I see is:

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

So THR has tossed out an educated, erudite professional marketing person, myself, who was working to convert lots of more liberal sorts, and has kept seeming trolls of the hateful sort. I suppose the advice on gunshop broad audience appeal I'd given that people applauded didn't fit the board, and pro-neocon misogynistic rantings are. Whatever.

To anyone whom I'd spoken to there, then, goodbye, and have a nice life.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: To anyone who was on THR: Goodbye (banned)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »
Stick around here.  We're a lot easier to get along with.

Target Farget

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 10:29:49 AM »
boy dint u know better than to contradict a mod on that site let alone an IL cop

u can say some things if ur oleg or a mod

but not a regular guy

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:47:24 AM »
I doubt it was the IL cop who banned you, in fact it pretty apparent to me who banned you and why.  No comment on their decision though, just an observation based on present evidence.

So stick around here.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Warren

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
I read your last few posts and did not see anything that should have got you banned. Maybe it was deleted.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions on the women friendly gunshop thread. Those are great ideas.

Warren

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:49:25 AM »
Sorry to hear you got banned. My guess is you got drawn into a flame war and said something Justin did not like. He seemed to me to be somewhat of a quick-draw hip-shooter when it comes to bans.

Nowadays, I go to THR only for the technical sections. L&P is a death-trap. Stay here for such discussions - friendlier environment and far, far fewer trolls.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 12:02:19 PM »
Welcome to the club.

There are some moderators over there who have SERIOUS jockey short issues -- far too tight and far too wadded.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »
Sorry to hear it I will miss your posts. Please feel free to stick around APS however, moderation is lighter and a lot more slides here. I will agree some of the mods over there seem to have a God complex when it comes to disagreement.
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
Welcome to the club.

There are some moderators over there who have SERIOUS jockey short issues -- far too tight and far too wadded.

Yup. There's some decent mods over there, but I do notice a difference. They're either real good or they're real ego-driven.

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »
I just read your last few posts and it was either Pax of Jeff White as far as I can tell. I dont know what your post on the rape thread was (several were deleted, and thats a topic I wouldnt touch with a 10' pole on THR) but I'm willing to bet that was the one that did you in. Of course your Illinois rant may have offended Jeff as well.
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 12:22:46 PM »
Perhaps it was your inflated view of yourself, Mr. Erudite.  And don't think some kind words on one thread make you an invaluable forum member.  I've gotten plenty of "kudos" on this board, but that doesn't mean I wasn't pretty close to getting banned at other times. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 12:36:08 PM »
Manedwolf stick around here.

This place is a free for all compared to the tighter moderation at THR.

Of course there are still standards here but I've never seen you write something that would be out of bounds here.

L&P has a narrow focus and it is easy to go out of bounds. It seems like a lot of the threads I end up posting in get closed. Not because of me but because they are off topic.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »
Sorry you got banned.  Other than pouring salt in the wounds of Massachusetts residents every chance you got I thought you were a good member.  grin
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »
May I recommend http://www.handgunforum.net  for your weapons conversations?? It's a lot less "tightly wound" than THR. Haven't seen too many "trolls" there. They even DO have a long gun section or two.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 02:01:30 PM »
Oh yea, I saw that thread right at the beginning, could have made the first comment. Avoided it like the plague.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Kaylee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 02:16:37 PM »
Manedwolf, you were given an email detailing the reasons for your banning.

There is a record of it in the Staff forum of THR. If you've changed your email address since you registered, it would have gone to the email on file.

Furious Styles

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »
Maned, it's in the nature of some forums to develop a set of moderators, some of whom one can never quite please. Sorry to hear that you ran afoul of someone who didn't appreciate your specific contributions in that case. I've had it happen to me before, and I'm sure that it'll happen again. Is it worth slowing my roll, so to speak, and biting my tongue from time to time? Perhaps. There's no advantage to winning arguments in cyberspace with certain people, you know?

Good luck, and hope to see you around.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »
That rape thread on THR had no business being there. For the first time in 3 years on THR I pushed report this thread to a moderator button and posted a quote of the THR rules that stated what topics are legit there.

Pax closed the thread and stated she'd deleted some posts and if one had a deleted post they were on thin ice. She deleted my post quoting THR rules in support of closing the thread. I wonder if that means I'm on thin ice?

Why did I report the thread? Because one of the things that bugs me most about THR is the utter hypocrisy shown by a few of the moderators whose names I won't mention 'cuz I don't want to get banned on THR or here. That said they seem to pick and choose which threads they close that are utter violations of the rules. The rape thread was an utter violation and I wanted to see if one of the mods would step in and close down the thread.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »
Hmmm, A mod comes over here just to continue to hound you? i have seen and been victim of several mod attacks at THR. There are a couple of mods who are wound just a little too tight, but, hey!, they are part of the management team, right? All mods must fall in line and defend them. That is the way management works, right?
I have read many of your posts and have not felt the least bit threatened/ uncomfortable with any of them.
This is a case of MOD over-reaction and failure to back down (for whatever reason) and the closing of ranks of the "management team". Sounds like real life, eh?

ps: Kaylee, if you want to come here and post like a regular person; welcome! If you are just here to continue the management harrassment, please stay away. Some of us don't visit THR any more due to just this kind of reaction.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 03:41:20 PM »
Some people are real control freaks, and thats just the way it is.

I did not see the rape thread, but I see a lot of threads get locked for very minor things. Sometimes the thread wanders off topic, but I have not seen a rule that says that wandering threads will be locked, although sometimes they get way off.

Often the battles seem to be between the cop haters and the cop groupies. I don't understand being in either corner, but it is pretty clear that many of the moderators are closer to the cop groupie side. Any post that does not accept blind obedience to authority is subject to sanctions. I find that somewhat ironic for a place that claims to be at least in part about liberty.

However, the owner is entitled to run things in the way he sees fit.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Furious Styles

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 03:45:37 PM »
I had one where I got yelled at and told to change or delete my post, and the moderator didn't even understand what I was trying to say. It wasn't, "what did you mean by that," but, instead, it was "change it or get rid of it or I will because [implied] this is what I think you meant to say." I then asked them if they understood the vocabulary as it was used and was told that they hadn't. I still got rid of it because it just wasn't worth arguing about.

In fact, it didn't happen here or at THR, but elsewhere, that a forum owner was rebuffed in their attempts to telephone a certain forum participant during the day at their office because they were demanding an on-line response in a given thread. The participant told the secretary to politely block all further calls from the forum owner, and the forum owner, in a fit of pique, did the only thing that they could do in order to feel that they were controlling the situation -- they banned the participant.

For some, control is everything.

Kaylee

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 03:51:19 PM »
Dude, I didn't come here to hound him. Truth be told, if you asked me this morning "who is Manedwolf" I'd have just given you a blank look. No idea. That's not to demean you or anything Maned.. just that at any given time I remember maybe a couple dozen screen names out of thousands of people registered at THR.  Since most folk don't make serious waves, their screen names don't stick out to me.

I came over here for Glockfan's Iraq thread. When Manedwolf said he was banned for no reason, I went over to THR staff and checked the records. The idea of a mod banning someone out of pique is bothersome to me as it is to you.  I wanted to see what the story was.

Contrary to what some folk apparently believe, we're required to put in all kinds of documentation prior to doing a ban. When I found the record of the ban, there was a copy of the nice shiny "this is why we banned you" letter, along the supporting documentation. If Manedwolf wants to post what the banning email said, that's up to him, not me.
I'm just saying there was one.

As to "management harassment" - feh.
This is a hobby. I don't have time to "harass" anyone, and frankly don't care enough about the cop threads enough to do so if I did.

Smiley

Furious Styles

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »
The idea of a mod banning someone out of pique is bothersome to me as it is to you.

See, right there, I'm getting a whiff of inexistent issue. I used the word pique in describing what happened elsewhere as an example of moderator/forum owner behavior that's rather out there at the far end of the spectrum. Did you think that I was referring to something from THR with the word pique? If so, I wasn't.

Ron

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »
ps: Kaylee, if you want to come here and post like a regular person; welcome! If you are just here to continue the management harrassment, please stay away. Some of us don't visit THR any more due to just this kind of reaction.

I understand your sentiment but I have to say.

It looked to me like she was trying to be helpful, she didn't seem to take sides at all.

I didn't see the thread so I have no opinion on whether the ban was justified.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »
First, thank you for support from some people here. I really do appreciate that. I'd always tried to debate people civilly and offer good information when possible.

And, ah-ha. I see the apparent reason. Right. And yes, mine was one of the deleted posts. On that rape thread, in response to someone who posted, about the ostensibly raped woman:

Until our society changes, and our women folk start acting like ladies. We are going to keep seeing more and more of this.. The females now a days dressing up like whores and prostitutes. That dog don't hunt where I come from. Cover your *expletive deleted*ss and your breasts and start wearing clothes more appropriate.

Since every one of that new member "The Rifleman"'s posts had been odious like that, I called them a troll.

And I would do so again. That's reprehensible, and their postings seemed design to cause flame responses. As a result, I was banned.

Hey, to me, that's like being banned from a store for calling a crook a crook. I have no problem with that. I just won't shop there anymore! There's civility, and then there's PC-ness overriding common sense. Ironic that PC would infect a 2A board so completely, though.

And from Pax, there:

In your time on THR, you were warned repeatedly to stop baiting other members and not to attack other members. Your name has come up in the staff forum more times than I care to recount, and every time we chose to give you another chance -- chances that you continually blew.

That's fascinating, considering I'd never once recieved a PM of warning. Baiting. Huh. I guess...if you promote a mixed Libertarian/Goldwater conservative stance and tell don't-think-straight-R-voters that the party was hijacked and they're doing a disservice to the second amendment, that's "baiting", as that's the only thing I can think of that might be controversial that I did on a regular basis. Controversial to someone who has a bedroom shrine to Bill Kristol, maybe, but hey...can't offend True Believers, or they smite ya.

To those who mention that this place is better, I see that, looking at other posts. I see people policing THEMSELVES, rather than moderators smashing down like, oh, I don't know...an intrusive and meddling Big Government keeping a tight leash on the population? Hm. Smiley

Well, as Oscar Wilde said of academic politics, they're so vicious because the stakes are so very small. I see the same is apparently true of some other forums I'm no longer welcome on. I do not wish to live in fear that what I say, if civilly presented, will be worthy of punishment, and I've no time for the petty and sanctimonious. (And not meaning you, Kaylee, it's obvious you're not the one who had the grudge.)

(and eh, the MA thing, there's damned good people in MA, I just wish the sheep would all go jump in the Atlantic and leave it to them. As it is, I just get annoyed at the MA gov and MA media blaming MY state for "illegal guns", which they do in every other newspaper and news report...I swear I can't even turn on NECN for the sports scores without something from Mumbles Menino ragging on my state! It causes one to become a bit reactionary about the state.) Wink