Author Topic: To anyone who was on THR: Goodbye (banned)  (Read 5465 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: To anyone who was on THR: Goodbye (banned)
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 05:45:03 PM »
Right, the "rape" thread did not belong anywhere on THR, that's why I avoided it. Self policing as you say.

There were a few problems with it too that I didn't bring up there, but I'll bring up here. A #1, I found out a long time ago that the as soon as there's alcohol involved, regardless of how small the amount, the police can't do a thing realistically. The courts won't recognize it as rape when alcohol is involved. A good reason for the ladies to stay sober. How do I know? I had a friend go through pretty much the same thing, she got drunk and someone took advantage of her. Nothing she could do about it legally. Makes a real case for the ladies to stay sober.

Secondly, How does anyone, including the boyfriend, know that she didn't have a few pops, meet some guy that interested her and engage in a little indiscretion only to feel guilty about it later and call it rape? I've actually had that happen to me. An aquaintance of mine, who had expressed interest in me in the past, had a few pops, ok, more than a few pops, came over to my house late one night, took her OWN CLOTHES OFF and hopped into bed with me. I was a single guy, I did what comes natural at that point. She certainly wasn't trying to fight me off. The next morning she wakes up and says, "Did we have sex last night?" I said, "Yes we did." Then she says, "You @^#$ YOU RAPED ME!!" I'm like, "HUH?!?" She says, "I was drunk you took advantage of me!!" I'm like, "But YOU took YOUR clothes off and got into my bed." That just didn't seem to register with her, at all. I was more than a bit concerned at that point but she stormed out of my house and I never saw her again. No great loss, believe me, but it just goes to show you that these things can and do happen. I learned a REAL big lesson that day. It sure took the edge off of my libido, let me tell you.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BobCat

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 05:55:42 PM »
Manedwolf wrote, "I do not wish to live in fear that what I say, if civilly presented, will be worthy of punishment, and I've no time for the petty and sanctimonious."

Manedwolf, that is exactly why I post so little on any forum.  I read to learn, and sometimes have something to add to the discussion, but it is *so* difficult write *exactly* what I mean (without the possibility of having my words misconstued) that usually it is just not worth the effort.

Thanks Thor, that HandGunForum.net looks like a good place.

Regards,
Andrew

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 05:56:06 PM »
Lately the signal to noise in General and L&P has been pretty ugly... I think they _are_ getting a lot of trolls, from Demoratic Undertow, whatever... I get the feeling that some of these clowns are walking into their profs' offices and saying "Hey, look at what I made the stupid gun nuts say this time!" Some of this may come back to bite us on our asses during the next heavily political push... That worries me...

Plus, heaven forbid you say something about a cop... Right now I'm in a situation where my candidate (I'm volunteering PR services) may very likely get targeted by a corrupt department. But you know what? If I mention anything about that on THR, I know what'll happen.

And if you don't think there are still corrupt police departments out there, you haven't lived in St. Louis.

And as for rape accusations... Had a coed accuse a football player of rape. Thankfully the campus cops weren't blissfully unaware of what was happening on campus, and held both parties at the campus cop shop until a few guys from the team, who knew both parties, could get down there and talk to her... You see, there were interesting circumstances.

They'd been dating a while.
They'd been more than a little hot and heavy.
The officer found them in the front seat of his car.
She was on top.
She only started screaming when Mr. Flashlight appeared.
She was a dean's daughter.
She was white.
He was black.

It all got hushed, but almost blew up, because she panicked that Daddy would go ballistic.

I have to wonder, however, these days, how many richochet roofies happen... Jane gets dosed at a party, but goes home with Okay Joe instead of Evil John the Roofmeister. She's got x, she's roofed, what do you think is gonna happen? Fun part is that Okay Joe may be the designated driver, pretty darn straight, and thinks that she actually just fell in love with him... Until morning...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
Maned, the comments about the rape victim were way out of line.  You were right to speak up, although I can't judge what you said, having not seen it.  Your paranoia about "neo-cons" could certainly get on some people's nerves, though.  But don't listen to me.  Since I disagree with you, I must be a Bush-worshipping neo-con.

Kaylee, you heard the man, you're not allowed to participate on APS because you are a moderator on THR.   rolleyes

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 06:43:53 PM »
Reading for comprehension works for a lot of folks. Maybe give it a try?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 06:49:04 PM »
Reading for comprehension works for a lot of folks. Maybe give it a try?

Let's do.  I read Kaylee's post again and can't find any hounding.  Actually sounded fairly helpful. 

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »
I'm with fistful.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »
Welcome to APS.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 12:36:35 AM »
Fun part is that Okay Joe may be the designated driver, pretty darn straight, and thinks that she actually just fell in love with him... Until morning...
Yup, that's what I was thinking.  Why else would she come to my house at 2 in the morning and hop into bed with me? I figured her being snockered had brought her true feelings to the surface,,, until the next morning. shocked

Avoid cliches like the plague!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 02:34:52 AM »

And from Pax, there:

In your time on THR, you were warned repeatedly to stop baiting other members and not to attack other members. Your name has come up in the staff forum more times than I care to recount, and every time we chose to give you another chance -- chances that you continually blew.

That's fascinating, considering I'd never once recieved a PM of warning. Baiting. Huh.

I see several possible explanations here. 

The email address you have to notify you of PM's, or that they would contact you at, is invalid. 
Or a spam filter is filtering their messages.  This has happened to me.
Or you're lying when you say you never got any messages.
Or they're lying when they say they gave you warnings.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 03:09:23 AM »
Or pax got him confused with another screenname. 

I don't see her motive for lying.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 04:01:22 AM »
Or pax got him confused with another screenname. 

I don't see her motive for lying.

There's a reason I listed that as the last possibility.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 05:24:41 AM »
FWIW, I frequently have problems getting notifications, etc from the two boards that run off this server.  There's something about the DNS name resolution that Verizon doesn't like.  After going around and around with Verizon and Derick, I gave up.  If it really bothered me, I'd use a different account.

Chris

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »
I've got the same prob as mtnbkr, but I have Comcast.  Have never once gotten an e-mail notification of a PM there.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 08:13:07 AM »
I've got the same prob as mtnbkr, but I have Comcast.  Have never once gotten an e-mail notification of a PM there.

I'll go days or weeks without getting any, then get them all in a single day.  Nothing more fun than cleaning out a hundred emails telling you about a new post to a thread you haven't read in days.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 08:17:38 AM »

I'll go days or weeks without getting any, then get them all in a single day.  Nothing more fun than cleaning out a hundred emails telling you about a new post to a thread you haven't read in days.

Chris

Now you know why I never activated it in the first place.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »
It's only a problem with Verizon.  I never had that problem when I used other email accounts.  I've talked to Verizon.  The problem is that their email system doesn't like how the account sending the mail is bogus or some such.  I don't remember the details.  It wasn't worth the effort.

Chris

Furious Styles

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 09:19:02 AM »
You see, this is the thing about "over there" that bugs the crap out of me at times: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=251461

Nobody has a sense of humor? Nobody has a sense of whimsy?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 09:48:55 AM »
A lot of the folks are very targeted, very focused, and very rigid. If it isn't something they really "get," then it doesn't belong.

Oleg, Oleg, Oleg... There's this thing called The Gun Culture... It's out there, and it isn't JUST about soldiers, police officers, self defense, or even people actually yanking on triggers. There's so much more out there.

Blog under construction

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
FS:  What do you mean no sense of humor!    That thread lasted a whole hour and 13 minutes!!!!!

Seriously though, I thing Bogie hit it on the head.  The gun culture includes a lot more than just the guns.

I understand the idea behing THR being "well regulated"     angel   but there is a counter point there, that a little bit of friendly banter and being able to go a little off topic is actually a good thing.  It lets you get to know your fellow gun nuts by more than the guns they own, the ammo they like, and the particular school of training they prefer.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2007, 09:55:41 AM »
You expect "a sense of whimsy" on a gun forum?  WHIMSY?  ROFL

Agree with the sentiment, but odd choice of words.   smiley

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 10:02:54 AM »
Quote from: Manedwolf
And from Pax, there:

In your time on THR, you were warned repeatedly to stop baiting other members and not to attack other members. Your name has come up in the staff forum more times than I care to recount, and every time we chose to give you another chance -- chances that you continually blew.

That's fascinating, considering I'd never once recieved a PM of warning.

Well, in that she is factually correct. I can remember occasions when she deleted posts and posted a general note in the respective threads saying that anyone whose posts were deleted should consider themselves out-of-line and thus in danger of banning. You were in that category at least a couple of times (and so was I, hehehe). So, even if you did not receive PM, you certainly were warned and that is what she states. And yes, you did go "ad hominem" in certain cases. Still, I am not certain occasional flame wars are a reasonable basis for banning, but I am not the one making the rules.

The above having been said, Pax does have her share of problems as moderator. I have noticed that she is more lenient with people she agrees with, a good example being Jammer Six. That guy's whole point of cyberexistence was to defend illegal invasion, thumb his nose at our laws, and taunt people about how many illegals there are and how things would "change soon" under their combined weight. If that is not a provocative behavior, I don't know what is. But, it was fine with Pax, because her personal views are open-borders kill-nannystate anti-authority libertarianism. And so, she would come after me and Biker when we rip into J6 for being a criminal. Heh.

Furious Styles

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »
You expect "a sense of whimsy" on a gun forum?  WHIMSY?  ROFL

Agree with the sentiment, but odd choice of words.   smiley

Hey, a 1911 that spends its non-holster time perched on top of a lace doily will kill you just as dead ...  grin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »
Styles, you wouldn't!!  You...you monster!   angel

Furious Styles

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 10:10:45 AM »
Styles, you wouldn't!!  You...you monster!   angel

You should see the "Hello Kitty!" stickers up and down the grip panels, too ...  laugh