Author Topic: The Python is Back!  (Read 4784 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The Python is Back!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 02:49:26 PM »
https://guntalk.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=podcasts

Gun Talk posted a podcast with an interview with Colt people about the new revolver.  I figure a few of you are interested.  Posted Jan 1st.  I guess this weeks show will show up there later today also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
Pro tip: cylinder latch is a dead giveaway. Also note the notches on the cylinder - Colt rotates CW, S&W rotates CCW. (From the shooter's viewpoint.)

;)

And the Ruger has a push-button cylinder release.  And the cylinder rotates widdershins.   Oh, and the Taurus is the same as a Smith (naturally).  OK, now we know.  Pro tip. ;)

But why would anyone mount a (presumably) more accurate Colt barrel on a Smith action, then go and bob the hammer... rendering the gun almost exclusively DAO, which isn't all that accurate a delivery system in the first place?

I had a Smith DA with a bobbed hammer, and although you could cock it for SA with great care, it wasn't ideal.  The only reason for the bobbed hammer was for draw clearance.

So? What gives with that revolver?

I will accept any rational explanation that doesn't involve PDS (Python Derangement Syndrome.) =D

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »
For that price, I'll stay happy with my 686.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 11:21:51 AM »
Pro tip me here... if I recall correctly, the 686 is a Model 19 enlarged slightly to avoid that design defect forcing cone notch which splits... right?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 12:22:44 PM »
"the 686 is a Model 19 enlarged slightly to avoid that design defect forcing cone notch which splits... right?"

Essentially. The L frame revolvers (581, 586, 681, 686) use the same grip frame as the K frame revolvers but have a heavier upper frame to better support the barrel and withstand the pressures generated by the .357 Magnum cartridge.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2020, 12:23:38 PM »
Pro tip me here... if I recall correctly, the 686 is a Model 19 enlarged slightly to avoid that design defect forcing cone notch which splits... right?

The 686's, at least the later ones are 'L' Frames, which similar to a 'K' frame with a thicker forcing cone and top strap.

ETA: M.I. beat me to it.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »
The only reason I don't have a 581 or a 586 in my collection is that I HATE the full lug barrel. Absolutely despise it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »
And the Ruger has a push-button cylinder release.  And the cylinder rotates widdershins.   Oh, and the Taurus is the same as a Smith (naturally).  OK, now we know.  Pro tip. ;)

But why would anyone mount a (presumably) more accurate Colt barrel on a Smith action, then go and bob the hammer... rendering the gun almost exclusively DAO, which isn't all that accurate a delivery system in the first place?

I had a Smith DA with a bobbed hammer, and although you could cock it for SA with great care, it wasn't ideal.  The only reason for the bobbed hammer was for draw clearance.

So? What gives with that revolver?

I will accept any rational explanation that doesn't involve PDS (Python Derangement Syndrome.) =D

Terry

Believe it or not I have heard there are some people out there than can double action a revolver nearly as accurate as they can single action one. I guess it is a matter of preference or whether or not you are willing to give up a bit of accuracy for ease of draw. I only have one revolver with no exposed hammer and it was made that way, well, I don't have it, it goes into my wife's purse more often than not.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2020, 02:35:10 PM »
Well, OK, you didn't resort to PDS. :)

I just don't see someone putting a slightly better barrel on a frame unless you are one of those stopwatch iron clankers who in fact can shoot as well DA as SA.  (Unlike me, who rarely used DA until I got a CC license.)

I'll go as far as admitting there might be a slight competitive DA advantage in having a slightly faster lock time with the bobbed hammer, though.

Terry

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2020, 03:50:19 PM »
"Believe it or not I have heard there are some people out there than can double action a revolver nearly as accurate as they can single action one."

Training. Tamara goes on and on about it.  :rofl:

When I was shooting really regularly I was almost as accurate with my S&W 042 Centennial Hammerless as I was with my Model 36 in single action.

A neat little trick to the S&W hammerless guns is that you can, if you get a feel for it, stage the trigger. Pull most of the way through, stop, settle your aim, and squeeze off the last bit, which is shorter and lighter than the full pull.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2020, 04:26:15 PM »
The only reason I don't have a 581 or a 586 in my collection is that I HATE the full lug barrel. Absolutely despise it.

I miss the hell out of my 586. Special order from the factory in 1986. Got poor as *expletive deleted*it about 24 years ago and sold to keep the kids fed and housed. Jury is still out on the soundness of that decision.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 04:45:37 PM »
Tamara has a gun I have lusted after for years, a S&W PC13, I have also wanted to take a S&W Model 58 and turn it into a PC 13 clone on steroids. I may still get to do that some day. A 41 Mag with a ported 3" barrel, bobbed hammer and a matte finish. Now that would be a carry gun! ;)

bob

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2020, 05:26:24 PM »

I don't like them either. When I was looking to trade for a 6" .357 had to wait awhile to find a tapered barrel version of the Ruger GP100. No one would mistake it for a Python though, that's for sure.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2020, 07:55:55 PM »
RKL:

"Got poor as *expletive deleted*it about 24 years ago and sold [it] to keep the kids fed and housed. Jury is still out on the soundness of that decision."

LOL, BTDT, and contemporaneous spouse wouldn't sell a horse, so I had to peddle a gun.

I've used the stacking method on my DAO revolvers, but it still ain't as good as a nice crisp SA trigger.  But I figure a full on all-the way through to firing seems better for defense situations.... although I've never (thank G-d) had a genuine defense situatiion.

Ported barrels are OK 'cept sometimes for muzzle flash in low illumination and the freakin' NOISE in any kind of illumination.

I've got a ported .357 with a 4"barrel, so I know.  I was wondering recently if there was a craftsmanlike way of sealing those effing ports.

Don't say Bondo, whatever you do.  :'(  >:D  :old: [ar15]

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:10:41 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:35 PM »

I've got a ported .357 with a 4"barrel, so I know.  I was wondering recently if there was a craftsmanlike way of sealing those effing ports.

Don't say Bondo, whatever you do.  :'(  >:D  :old: [ar15]

J-B Weld?  >:D
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 10:14:59 PM »
 ^  Arrrrgh !

Stinkerpot !

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:47 AM »
I have a Model 58 4". When I bought it it didn't come with the box or paperwork, but it did come with no drag line around the cylinder. That's been resolved. :)

And no, you can't have it, nor can you buy it from me.

I'm quite enamored with my four big bore S&Ws...

Model 58 - .41 Magnum

Model 24 - .44 Special

Model 25-5 - .45 Long Colt

Model of 1917 - .45 ACP.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2020, 08:28:57 AM »
Believe it or not I have heard there are some people out there than can double action a revolver nearly as accurate as they can single action one.

bob

In the first defensive pistol class I ever took, there was an older guy with, IIRC, a Highway Patrolman. That guy could shoot. If it wasn't for reloading time, I'm pretty sure he could have out shot everyone in the class.

He let me shoot it during some downtime. I can't remember if he had work done to it or not, but I remember it was the first revolver I ever shot where I was consistently accurate using double action. Smooth.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2020, 08:51:55 AM »
I have an old Highway Patrolman with a 6" barrel I picked up at a pawn shop in the early 2000's around the $300 or $350 range.  I rarely shoot it, but it is a good shooter.  It is one of the guns I have that made me wish I had gotten started collecting a few years sooner before some of those old guns went up in price. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »
"Highway Patrolman."  You guys talkin' Model 10 or Model 19?  Or what?  I've heard both referred to as the Highway Patrol guns.  (Like the "M&P" which seems to switch around as to which gun it's referring to.)

But maybe it's a regional thing.

In the old "Highway Patrol" TV show, circa 1955, the uniformed officers seemed to carry Model 10s.  (Except for Broderick Crawford, who carried some kind of snubby whose 100=150 yard DA accuracy was phenomenal.)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:35:19 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
I was talking about the model 19. I think the model 28 was also referred to as the Highway Patrol. I owned a model 10 years ago and only ever heard it referred to as the M&P.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2020, 09:37:54 AM »
"Highway Patrolman."  You guys talkin' Model 10 or Model 19?  Or what?  I've heard both referred to as the Highway Patrol guns.  (Like the "M&P" which seems to switch around as to which gun it's referring to.)

But maybe it's a regional thing.

In the old "Highway Patrol" TV show, circa 1955, the uniformed officers seemed to carry Model 10s.  (Except for Broderick Crawford, who carried some kind of snubby whose 100=150 yard DA accuracy was phenomenal.)

I will have to pull it out and check the model later on.  I haven't done much with it in a while.  I guess it could be M&P.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »
I was talking about the model 19. I think the model 28 was also referred to as the Highway Patrol. I owned a model 10 years ago and only ever heard it referred to as the M&P.

Yeah, maybe it was a Model 28 in the Highway Patrol shows.  Hard to tell sometimes.  That show was pretty fast paced.

(I just took a look at the Wiki article on "Highway Patrol."  It's pretty funny in spots.)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2020, 09:44:04 AM »

Model 25-5 - .45 Long Colt

I want one of those, I think it would be the perfect deer/bear hunting handgun.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536