Author Topic: Why are roundabouts hard for some people?  (Read 2768 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Why are roundabouts hard for some people?
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 09:34:10 PM »
I don't come to this place to learn things (what kind of shady site are y'all running here anyway?)! But I learned that traffic circles and roundabouts are different things.

We do have a roundabout in town but I was talking about traffic circles.

So the roundabout might cause problems, but not if you just look at the signs before entering.

Things I have seen at traffic circles:

A woman pulled into the flow of traffic when she should not have and then stopped, blocking the traffic completely. She looked a little frazzled and it took her a few seconds to get moving again.

A person tried to make a left, that is going against the flow of traffic, and only stopped when a car came from that direction. They had to do a three-point reverse to get going again.

But what I see the most often, and surprisingly frequently, is people coming to a complete stop before proceeding on.

It's a yield sign! If there is no oncoming car you go; if there is, you stop. Super-easy.

And a car entering on the other side of the circle is NOT an oncoming car. It has to slow down and navigate around the bend before it gets to you, if it is not going to continue down the street it's already on that is, so you have a few seconds! Go!

There should be no way to mess this up.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2021, 10:29:42 PM »
If there are no curbs, it's shorter to go across the middle.  =)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2021, 11:41:02 PM »
If there are no curbs, it's shorter to go across the middle.  =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crxdC-M8yV4
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2021, 06:30:27 PM »
But what I see the most often, and surprisingly frequently, is people coming to a complete stop before proceeding on.

It's a yield sign! If there is no oncoming car you go; if there is, you stop. Super-easy.

At a mall where I worked, the entrance lanes had no stop or yield sign, and the other drivers had stop signs. A lot of incoming mall "guests" still stopped, and often waited for the other drivers to proceed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2021, 06:52:21 PM »
On the subject of traffic lights for left turn lanes:  Around here I see a bunch of "No left turn on red" signs mounted over the traffic light.  What the actual fcuk, over?  Do we really need to remind people to not turn across traffic on a red light?

Yes

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
We have 'em in the City of Grand Rapids.  The Traffic Engineer discovered them a couple years ago and then went on a roundabout rampage.   When he was questioned by the media about why and that there seemed to be more accidents occurring in the roundabouts than before roundabouts the Engineer's comment was, "yes that true, but the vehicle property damage seems to be lower in the roundabouts."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2021, 09:56:48 PM »
On the subject of traffic lights for left turn lanes:  Around here I see a bunch of "No left turn on red" signs mounted over the traffic light.  What the actual fcuk, over?  Do we really need to remind people to not turn across traffic on a red light?

Around here, some of the traffic lights will have a sign saying "Right Turn Signal." Some take this to mean you can't turn right during the red. Which is odd to me, as some other intersections have "No Right Turn on Red" signals. You'd think people would realize those are two different instructions. That, and I don't see anything in state law that requires you to wait for a right turn signal.

And then there's that lady at the 4-way stop sign intersection, who waits for you to come to a complete stop before she will enter the intersection.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2021, 10:08:45 PM »
And then there's that lady at the 4-way stop sign intersection, who waits for you to come to a complete stop before she will enter the intersection.

I don't blame the little old lady at all.  I wait, too.  Around here, if you don't wait for oncoming traffic to stop at four-way stop intersections, there is a good chance you'll get t-boned.
Running stop signs and red lights is a regular sport in this area.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2021, 10:32:07 PM »
I don't blame the little old lady at all.  I wait, too.  Around here, if you don't wait for oncoming traffic to stop at four-way stop intersections, there is a good chance you'll get t-boned.
Running stop signs and red lights is a regular sport in this area.

The little old lady should be able to tell the difference between someone slowing down to stop or yield, and someone going so fast they couldn't stop if they saw her in front of them in the intersection.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2021, 10:36:48 PM »

I find this annoying as well.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2021, 10:41:46 PM »
I find this annoying as well.

Thank you.

Take your turn so I can take mine, old lady!

The last time I was driving with my wife, and she did this, the other guy just rolled through in front of us.  ;/

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2021, 08:31:22 AM »
The little old lady should be able to tell the difference between someone slowing down to stop or yield, and someone going so fast they couldn't stop if they saw her in front of them in the intersection.

Then don't complain if you get t-boned one day.  Many idiots slow just enough to see if crossing traffic is going to stop, then hit the gas and motor on through the intersection.  Around here there are copious quantities of such types, so it pays to be cautious.
Plus, there are a lot of stupid folks that don't understand the concept of "Right of Way" at four-way intersections.  There is likely a lot of crossover between the types.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »
Observing the speed and behavior of other drivers, making judgments, and taking appropriate risks is just part of driving. How else can you make a left turn onto or off of a busy street, when there's no light or stop sign for oncoming traffic? How else do you merge into freeway traffic?

If someone is slowing down, but suddenly goes to ramming speed through the intersection in which I have the right of way, I would certainly have the right to complain. That's the kind of crazy behavior no one could, or should, predict. It just wouldn't make sense to base one's decisions on irrational fear of a psychopathic driver.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2021, 09:47:19 AM »
Some of these situations are probably hard to describe on the interwebz. Sometimes I take my turn at a 4 way stop even if a driver hasn't completely stopped, other times I don't. Sometimes it's really obvious that the driver is going to stop. Other times, not so much and I err on the cautious side.

Where I am really cautious is situations where I have a stop but the perpendicular traffic does not. For instance, If I'm stopped at a T to make a left turn, and I see oncoming traffic with their blinker on to turn right onto my road, if they are close, I almost always wait until they actually turn before I go. That comes from more than one occasion of someone with their blinker on and forgotten, and no intention of turning. Some close calls there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
Some of these situations are probably hard to describe on the interwebz. Sometimes I take my turn at a 4 way stop even if a driver hasn't completely stopped, other times I don't. Sometimes it's really obvious that the driver is going to stop. Other times, not so much and I err on the cautious side.

Where I am really cautious is situations where I have a stop but the perpendicular traffic does not. For instance, If I'm stopped at a T to make a left turn, and I see oncoming traffic with their blinker on to turn right onto my road, if they are close, I almost always wait until they actually turn before I go. That comes from more than one occasion of someone with their blinker on and forgotten, and no intention of turning. Some close calls there.

I wait until they at least start their turn.  Sometimes they are signalling on-purpose but are going to turn in the next driveway, alley, or small street right past the intersection I'm sitting at.
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2021, 12:24:35 PM »
Observing the speed and behavior of other drivers, making judgments, and taking appropriate risks is just part of driving. How else can you make a left turn onto or off of a busy street, when there's no light or stop sign for oncoming traffic? How else do you merge into freeway traffic?

If someone is slowing down, but suddenly goes to ramming speed through the intersection in which I have the right of way, I would certainly have the right to complain. That's the kind of crazy behavior no one could, or should, predict. It just wouldn't make sense to base one's decisions on irrational fear of a psychopathic driver.

It's not the "irrational fear of a psychopathic driver", it is the rational fear of the other driver doing something unexpected and even dangerous.  It's just part of defensive driving.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
Around here, some of the traffic lights will have a sign saying "Right Turn Signal." Some take this to mean you can't turn right during the red. Which is odd to me, as some other intersections have "No Right Turn on Red" signals. You'd think people would realize those are two different instructions. That, and I don't see anything in state law that requires you to wait for a right turn signal.

Why would they even put up a sign saying "Right Turn Signal" if it is a standard thing?  The only sign that should show up at all is the one saying No Right Turn. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2021, 01:07:26 PM »
Thank you.

Take your turn so I can take mine, old lady!

The last time I was driving with my wife, and she did this, the other guy just rolled through in front of us.  ;/
The annoying part to me is when those people stop, look at you for a moment, wait just long enough you think they are waiting on you, then you all end up moving forward at the same time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2021, 02:21:39 PM »
The annoying part to me is when those people stop, look at you for a moment, wait just long enough you think they are waiting on you, then you all end up moving forward at the same time.

I also dislike when the driver of the car that clearly should go next waves at me to go. I've got an idea, how 'bout we all just follow the same rules of the road, mmmkay?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
I also dislike when the driver of the car that clearly should go next waves at me to go. I've got an idea, how 'bout we all just follow the same rules of the road, mmmkay?

Oh, hell yeah.  That is a big problem around here.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?