Author Topic: Clinton offers Olive Branch to Taliban  (Read 4510 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Clinton offers Olive Branch to Taliban
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
Say it aint so. 

http://www.military.com/news/article/March-2009/clinton-offers-olive-branch-to-taliban.html

Clinton Offers Olive Branch to Taliban
 March 31, 2009
Associated Press

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Afghan President Hamid Karzai and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton offered an olive branch Tuesday to Taliban fighters who reject al-Qaida and pressed an international conference for help in strengthening Afghanistan's security forces.

More than 80 of Afghanistan's neighboring states or military and financial donors were attending a one-day conference in The Hague to brainstorm about how to stabilize Afghanistan seven years after the expulsion of the Taliban government.

Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Medhi Akhundzadeh was among the delegates - the first time the U.S. and Iran have met at a conference table since President Barack Obama offered better relations with the Islamic republic. There was no indication that any U.S. envoy would meet privately with the Iranians, and the two countries were separated on opposite ends of the table alphabetically.

Sitting around a horseshoe-shaped table, Clinton said most of the Taliban fighters have allied with anti-government forces "out of desperation" rather than commitment, in a country that has barely made inroads against poverty and lack of development.

Karzai and Clinton said Afghanistan would welcome Taliban fighters who embrace peace and pledge to abide by the Afghan constitution

Seenterman

• friend
Re: Clinton offers Olive Branch to Taliban
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »
KEEP HER!!

Consider it a "peace" offering.

. . . . as in it will be more peaceful over here without her.  :laugh:

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:15:07 PM »
She remains a model for feminists everywhere. =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »
Karzai and Clinton said Afghanistan would welcome Taliban fighters who embrace peace and pledge to abide by the Afghan constitution

In other words... a big fat "nothing's changed."

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47:15 PM »
hmm, hilery clinton..... taliban ....... 72 what was that :O

:angel:

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 03:19:53 AM »
So it's basically surrender and we'll let you live, not an actual peacenik failure.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 05:10:45 AM »
So it's basically surrender and we'll let you live, not an actual peacenik failure.
^^^What I was thinking.

Spinning stories and headlines is never acceptable in my book.  For instance:  If I say, "I am in utter disbelief, at a lack of words on occasion, that Nazi Germany committed the Holocaust.  And even though history will always remember them for their evil, I hate that I cannot personally go back in time and inform the Jews of Europe so that more could evacuate in time," someone will most likely spin it so it sounds like I said, "I am... a... Nazi... and... I hate... Jews."  I've had it done to me before, and it really pisses me off.  :mad:

Sorry for the rant... it's been long night.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 07:32:16 AM »
It looks more like an invitation to work for the US.  In other words, "how you treat people doesn't matter...just don't attack US forces and we'll put you on the payroll right alongside Karzai."

I do not view this as a good sign for the US efforts. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:59 AM »
I was thinking on those same lines when I read the story.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »
"...just don't attack US forces and we'll put you on the payroll right alongside Karzai."
Wasn't there a proverb about paying Danegeld?

" . . . if once you have paid him the Danegeld, You never get rid of the Dane."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »
Wasn't there a proverb about paying Danegeld?

" . . . if once you have paid him the Danegeld, You never get rid of the Dane."

This is not "paying Danegeld."

This is "If you no longer resist us, and support thegovernment we like, we will not come down and shoot you dead."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »
This is not "paying Danegeld."

This is "If you no longer resist us, and support thegovernment we like, we will not come down and shoot you dead."
Keep an eye on the news to see if they get paid anything.

On the subject of Afghanistan . . . just read that our good friend Karzai signed a law that requires women get permission from their menfolk to leave the house.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
On the subject of Afghanistan . . . just read that our good friend Karzai signed a law that requires women get permission from their menfolk to leave the house.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
^^^What I was thinking.

I am in utter disbelief ... that Nazi Germany committed the Holocaust.  And even though history will always remember them for their evil, I hate ... the Jews of Europe.

Fixed it for you.

=D

Yep, quoting out of context is good fun for reporters.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
Jerk.  ;/
It looks more like an invitation to work for the US.  In other words, "how you treat people doesn't matter...just don't attack US forces and we'll put you on the payroll right alongside Karzai."
Karzai and Clinton said Afghanistan would welcome Taliban fighters who embrace peace and pledge to abide by the Afghan constitution.
I guess I just don't see it.  Embracing peace and abiding by a constitution doesn't quite sound like a call for "working for the US."  Sounds more like a call to "work" for Afghanistan.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 09:54:49 PM »
Keep an eye on the news to see if they get paid anything.

In Soviet America, wife give permission to YOU!
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »
Hopefully it's an olive branch dipped in smallpox...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »
Jerk.  ;/I guess I just don't see it.  Embracing peace and abiding by a constitution doesn't quite sound like a call for "working for the US."  Sounds more like a call to "work" for Afghanistan.

Yeah, embracing peace between the Taliban and Karzai's collection of rapists/drug-dealers/gang members and abiding by a "constitution" that basically re-institutes the Taliban's law is not working for Afghanistan.

Micro, the problem with that theory is that if that option were available and feasible, it would already have been done in the 8 years since 2001.  Offering this deal after 8 years of war indicates that the effort to shoot the bad guys is failing.

It's also nuts that they will be the same bad guys...it's not like the deal is "respect human rights and stop shooting women in the street and we'll let you live."  If that were so, we wouldn't be guarding Karzai.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
I guess I just don't see it.  Embracing peace and abiding by a constitution doesn't quite sound like a call for "working for the US."  Sounds more like a call to "work" for Afghanistan

always a lil odd when the offer comes from another countries leader. makes you wonder who is in charge and who you'll really be working for
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I