Author Topic: Cap and trade  (Read 4780 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Cap and trade
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:23:02 AM »
In the name of Climate Change and all that is Green, the Obama administration is pushing further ahead with the cap and trade plan for emissions.

The sales job on this is so obvious a scam that the media haven't given it a proper explanation. They hype Obama's promise of an energy tax credit for "working families," but they leave out the part about how much more the average family will pay each year for energy.

What's worse is that the media isn't even thinking about the long-term effects of cap and trade.

The system will allow manufacturers to trade carbon credits, and will tax manufacturers who have more emissions than credits. These manufacturers are more likely to be those in the midwest, where coal is a common source for energy production.

These un-green manufacturers will have a choice: they can keep their manufacturing operations in the US, or they can move them to countries with low-cost labor and no penalties for using energy, no matter the source. So, we'll likely see companies like Harley Davidson move manufacturing parts of their business to countries like China.

That means job losses here in the US but, hey, how about those energy tax credits the unemployed will receive?

The cap and trade plan offers an even greater incentive for companies to move their manufacturing operations to other countries while keeping the administrative operations in the US. The companies will be able to sell their carbon credits to other companies, making extra money on top of the money they saved by moving their manufacturing operations overseas.

Now that's change!

Obama promised an ethical administration, a promise that appears to be as hollow as any of his others. But wait until cap and trade is implemented. Can you imagine how much corruption is going to come from lobbying for exemptions from the carbon taxes? There will be thousands of new lobbyists in DC offering every sort of bribe.

Higher utility bills for households, more jobs and manufacturing shipped overseas, and more corruption, all in the name of Climate Change, which is nothing more than a cult religion established by government.

What's not to like?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Cap and trade
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:27:34 AM »
These un-green manufacturers will have a choice: they can keep their manufacturing operations in the US, or they can move them to countries with low-cost labor and no penalties for using energy, no matter the source. So, we'll likely see companies like Harley Davidson move manufacturing parts of their business to countries like China.

That means job losses here in the US but, hey, how about those energy tax credits the unemployed will receive?

Problem with the job losses are the nasty chain of consequences that go with it.  Unfortunately, most old steel towns cratered after the PA steel industry more or less went out of business.  If York loses HD, the entire area going to take a significant hit.

Sigh

Energy taxes are just another hit.  Why the heck is the US becoming so hostile to domestic manufacturing?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »
Anything involving "carbon credits" is a fraud and a scam.

Carbon credits are an imaginary product - they don't exist outside the imagination of some environuts and politicians.

But the people who "create" these imaginary products want to sell them for real money. But, naturally enough, rational people are not going to voluntarily purchase imaginary products with real money.

Enter The Government - they can force people to cough up the money for this imaginary nonsense.

But if they did that - for example, by forcing every household to buy these imaginary products by adding a line to the 1040 form - it would touch off a lot of anger.

So . . . they come up with a "market based cap-and-trade" program (there's no ACTUAL market for imaginary products) and FORCE utilities to buy these carbon credits; with the cost passed on to their customers, gullible taxpayers will direct their ire against the greedy utilities, rather than the crooked politicians.

And the people who create these imaginary products will then have a dependable revenue stream . . . which they'll no doubt share with their friends in the legislature and White House.

:mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:00:11 AM »
These un-green manufacturers will have a choice: they can keep their manufacturing operations in the US, or they can move them to countries with low-cost labor and no penalties for using energy

This is the goal and the result.  Pollution colonialism.  Out of sight, out of mind is good enough for them.

When I was growing up, many moons ago, I lived in a state bordering Canada (about 30 minutes from the border) where I worked construction with my pops.  Every so often, we would have to go to the construction landfill, and most of the trucks there were from Canada.  Now I am not sure why Canada dumped its trash in America, whether it was the truly economical thing, or if landfills had simply been restricted in Canada.  What I do know, is Canada spouts about how "clean" they are.  It's because they have been dumping their trash in our landfills for 20 years (at a minimum), even when they have more land resources to commit to such things.

We will do the same thing.  Export all the dirty manufacturing jobs so that people can 'oooh and awwww' about how clean America is.  All the while not giving up what we want (inexpensive goods).

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »
Anything involving "carbon credits" is a fraud and a scam.

Carbon credits are an imaginary product - they don't exist outside the imagination of some environuts and politicians.

Carbon sequestration isn't a scam, how they are selling it with cap and trade with carbon credits is.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »
Carbon sequestration isn't a scam, . . .
"Scam" is an accurate descriptor when .gov mandates an expensive course of action that serves no useful purpose.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »

But the people who "create" these imaginary products want to sell them for real money. But, naturally enough, rational people are not going to voluntarily purchase imaginary products with real money.

Real money = FRNs?

lol. :lol:

The reason carbon credits are baloney and proponents of them should be spit upon, is because their sole intention is to cap industry.  Not to clean up Gaeia.  

I hope some filthy rich manufacturing baron, upon the creation of carbon ponzi schemes in the US, builds a flotilla of barges 12.01 miles outside of every major American port powered by the oldest coal plants he can find, and belches industrial black smoke out onto LA/SF/Seattle/etc.  The company can run a ferry to get workers out to it... who will most certainly come just like they come to Alaska for the fishing industry.

And, because he would be operating in international waters, he can pay his employees based upon any law he wishes.  Pay them well, but in a non-taxable way to the US.  Register the factory ships with Sealand or something like that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bmitchell

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
Does anyone want to buy some carbon dioxide credits?  For every credit you buy I will breathe one breath less so you can stop feeling guilty about breathing.

Ben

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »
Does anyone want to buy some carbon dioxide credits?  For every credit you buy I will breathe one breath less so you can stop feeling guilty about breathing.

Now there's an idea. Offer families carbon dioxide credits if they let the family's elderly members die early.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »
Now there's an idea. Offer families carbon dioxide credits if they let the family's elderly members die early.

...and excess taxes on those people who breathe through the mouth.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »
This is the goal and the result.  Pollution colonialism.  Out of sight, out of mind is good enough for them.

QFT.  I've heard exactly that from liberal environut friends of mine when presented with the choice of pollution locally from gas powered motorcycles vs pollution somewhere else from the additional electrical needs of electric motorcycles.  This was prompted by an article regarding a new battery powered motocross bike.

Chris

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 12:52:22 PM »
Just an attempt to bring back the utopia we used to call the Middle Ages, complete with indulgences and, of course, simony.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »
And, guess who has the corner on the carbon credit market? Big al gore.  The crooked dims sure watch out for each other.

When I build my retirement home I was not going to heat with wood because I am getting too old for that.  Now, I have changed my mind on this and will be burning wood for heat, and make lots of smoke......chris3

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »
And, guess who has the corner on the carbon credit market? Big al gore.  The crooked dims sure watch out for each other.

When I build my retirement home I was not going to heat with wood because I am getting too old for that.  Now, I have changed my mind on this and will be burning wood for heat, and make lots of smoke......chris3

You are under the mistaken idea that this is requiring people to purchase "credits" from Al Gore.

Instead, this is a cap program where the government grants a certain number of credits to each business who then may use them or sell them as they see fit.

It's a massive regressive tax and destructive to business and definitely one of the worst ideas to come out of Washington for some time.

It is not, however, a conspiracy to make Al Gore money.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 03:22:36 PM »
You are under the mistaken idea that this is requiring people to purchase "credits" from Al Gore.

Instead, this is a cap program where the government grants a certain number of credits to each business who then may use them or sell them as they see fit.

It's a massive regressive tax and destructive to business and definitely one of the worst ideas to come out of Washington for some time.

It is not, however, a conspiracy to make Al Gore money.

Al will be running the brokerages that allow for businesses to barter their carbon credits.  That is his role in the ponzi scheme.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

ShortTimer

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 05:48:15 AM »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »
Yano...... If Bernie Madoff said he invested his clients' money in Carbon Credits, he'd be walking around free and they'd throw parades for him as a hero of the Green Revolution.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »
Cap and Trade = Control and Punish

Get the axe.  It's still alive.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »
Hmmm... so the Gov. "Gives" these credits to company's, then they can use them-or-sell them? So this is in effect a giving either of a license to operate or money? Sounds like whoever does the "giving" has a "NEW LICENSE TO PRINT MONEY" . This has all the elements necessary to further the "Greatest Theft in History". 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »
I am a bit concerned about this as my company either uses a lot of megawatts at its plants or burns a bunch of natural gas/off gas.  What will this do our costs and profits?  This sucks. 

If they really wanted to help carbon emissions they would be subsidizing solar power and nuke energy heavily.  This is just another tax to raise money for Obama's 3.5 Trillion dollar budget. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 11:19:24 PM »
What's particularly ridiculous about all this is that the goal is to reduce carbon dioxide levels and levels of other "greenhouse gases" to the levels we had in the 1700's.

Sell your cars, buy horses, and make your computers using blacksmithing tools.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 11:51:42 PM »
Wonder if they ever heard f the "mini ice age".....

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 08:44:01 AM »
Wonder if they ever heard f the "mini ice age".....
Oh, that's so 17th century . . .  ;/

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
Domestic animals are bad.  They pollute. 

Maybe we can train insects?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.