Author Topic: Good shoot or bad shoot?  (Read 7831 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Good shoot or bad shoot?
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:02:24 PM »
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/08/minn-farmer-shocked-after-horses-put-down-by-state-patrol/

Cops put down two horses that strayed onto I-35 at 2AM in Minnesota.  They were only on scene for 10 minutes before making the decision to euthanize the horses for the sake of traffic safety.  20 minutes had passed from the first 911 calls from motorists to the killing of the horses.

Do you consider this a good decision, or not?

I understand the traffic safety issue, but I think it was a bad call.

It was poor "execution" (pun noted but not intended) on the part of DPS.  Humane Society, Animal Control, Zoo emergency services... something like that could have been dispatched.  Somebody with a tranquilizer rifle.  And 911 should have a script for such contingencies.

20 minutes of horses on the highway is plenty of time to have Animal Control show up with a tranq gun, if they are part of the emergency response system.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Good shoot or bad shoot?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
I'm saddened the horses had to be put down here, but I can't fault the police.

It was 2 am. I don't know any zoo or animal control that has staff to get a tranquilizer sufficient to put out a horse available at 2 am.

It sucks, but every other option has risks. The could not allow them to keep running around until they caused a major accident. (As for other options, I don't even know if the police would have been able to shut the road down quickly enough, assuming they'd have to shut both sides of the road down and cannot predict where the horses might roam.)

Would have been nice if someone could have alerted the horses' owner as well, but I don't know that she would have gotten out there quickly enough, either. Further, it was 2am, and I don't know if the police would have had enough officers to spare with two on the road trying to prevent accidents and yet another one looking for the horse owner.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
None of the animal control folks in my town or the adjoining Big City have tranq gear.

If it was not busy at that time (2am) I might have tried to spend more time containing the horses, but I am pretty sympathetic to the cops on this one.  Horses can be flipping huge and can total a car and kill the occupants.

Think of this analogy:
* Mentally ill man escapes institution.
* Runs about with a knife, slashing at the air, ground, or anything that comes by.

On a flat, featureless plain, let him exhaust himself.  If dude is walking toward a populated area, you might have to put him down.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
No "compliance-by-taser?"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »
No "compliance-by-taser?"

How big of a Taser do you need for a 2000lb animal?  Perhaps throw a set of jumper cables (hooked up to the cop car) at the horse?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-04/taser-shocks-meth-intoxicated-sheep-dont-harm-heart-taser-study-says

Couldn't find anything about horses, but Taser tested their devices on meth-addled sheep.  Srsly.

--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-04/taser-shocks-meth-intoxicated-sheep-dont-harm-heart-taser-study-says

Couldn't find anything about horses, but Taser tested their devices on meth-addled sheep.  Srsly.

I did not expect that.

Then again, nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition meth-addled sheep.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
Must know more about drugged sheep.

How are they with hip waders?

Do the neighbors talk?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
Tough call.  2 A.M. on the Interstate?  I think it was a good shoot.  Too much chance of a horrible accident.  If it was during the daytime with good visibility they would've had more options; it would create a traffic jam, but so what.

I'm gonna have nightmares about that sheep.
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
Must know more about drugged sheep.

How are they with hip waders?

Do the neighbors talk?

Don't forget cliff edges.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »
Well, I guess you would have to be there ...   =|

If you couldn't catch the horse then you're not going to get a very clean shot and now you have a wounded horse running around  ;/

Somebody with a little experience could probably catch them or at least run them through a gate into some pasture for temporary confinement.

Fortunately the deputies in our county aren't that trigger happy.  Otherwise they'd probably be shooting fifty horses a month.

they unsuccessfully tried to get the 1,100-pound animals back over a 5-foot-high fence.

Well, or course not  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:17:46 PM by Tallpine »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
usually no gates on the highway side of a field
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »
usually no gates on the highway side of a field

Around here there are, but then it is all two lane.  I never really noticed I-90 fences.

Those horses got to the interstate somehow.  I'm sure that there was more than an electric fence along the interstate.

I'm interested to know how well that really went.  Horses aren't all that easy to put down, unless you do a contact shot on the X between ears and eyes.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »
Around here there are, but then it is all two lane.  I never really noticed I-90 fences.

Those horses got to the interstate somehow.  I'm sure that there was more than an electric fence along the interstate.

I'm interested to know how well that really went.  Horses aren't all that easy to put down, unless you do a contact shot on the X between ears and eyes.

christ it would suck to do that.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »

Yeah, not so easy when the target shoots back.

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 10:26:35 PM »
christ it would suck to do that.

yeah, it does  =(

Horses ain't like dogs and cats.  The drugs cost $60 a bottle and it takes 2 or 3 or more on top of the vet visit.  And they don't always react well.  Some go crazy instead of just going to sleep.  Plus the stuff is bad for the environment and you have to bury them deep.  Our vet said that a gun is the best way if someone is willing to do it that way. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »
Yeah, not so easy when the target shoots back.

Yeah, I saw the first half-hour of that movie. You are not permitted to remind me of it ever. Ever!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »

Yeah, I saw the first half-hour of that movie. You are not permitted to remind me of it ever. Ever!

I watched the whole thing. It became a train-wreck I could not look away from. I kept hoping it would improve, somehow. After Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre, and the youtube promo segments for this one featuring Jemaine Clement I had high hopes. They were then shattered, ground-up, crapped on, and flushed down the sewer. Jared Hess will have to write one heck of a movie to atone for that abominable sin.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 12:13:58 AM »

What was the name of the movie?  How can I avoid it if I don't know the name?!?!?   :O :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:05 AM »

I think "meth Addled sheep" could describe a significant percentage of the population today.

As to shooting the horses- poor choice IMO.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:04 AM »
Having seen many car vs horse accidents as the receiving nurse in the ER on the rez, I have no problems with putting the horses down if they could not otherwise get them away from the highway. Of course, on the rez, as open range, it would be the vehicle owner footing the bill for that prize roping horse that got hit, instead of the horse owner being liable.

bob

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 12:26:08 AM »
What was the name of the movie?  How can I avoid it if I don't know the name?!?!?   :O :O

Gentleman Broncos

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 12:58:15 AM »
Having seen many car vs horse accidents as the receiving nurse in the ER on the rez, I have no problems with putting the horses down if they could not otherwise get them away from the highway. Of course, on the rez, as open range, it would be the vehicle owner footing the bill for that prize roping horse that got hit, instead of the horse owner being liable.

bob

My biggest fear when hunting or fishing in WY is hitting someone's beef critter then having to pay the rancher for the animal.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 01:15:26 AM »
My biggest fear when hunting or fishing in WY is hitting someone's beef critter then having to pay the rancher for the animal.

Every slow elk (cow) and horse on the rez is a prize something or another and the insurance companies often paid into the low thousands of dollars to settle.  :mad:

Our ambulance rolled out on a car vs cow accident one night and before they even got there another car had stopped and they were butchering the beef on the side of the road. We only got 4 people out of that wreck.  =|

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Every slow elk (cow) and horse on the rez is a prize something or another and the insurance companies often paid into the low thousands of dollars to settle.  :mad:

Our ambulance rolled out on a car vs cow accident one night and before they even got there another car had stopped and they were butchering the beef on the side of the road. We only got 4 people out of that wreck.  =|

bob
So 4 people were not butchered?  What happened to the rest? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge