Author Topic: Home Made Chili!  (Read 3409 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Home Made Chili!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 10:28:48 AM »
I don't buy stew meat anymore, at least at Wallmart.  The only time I did this I started to brown the meat, after a minute all the solution (salt water) that they shot into the meat ran out.  There was so much water there I had to stop, drain it, and then return to heat.  It is like they hit each individual little piece of meat with a syringe!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »
Saline would have absorbed into the meat almost immediately, not stayed as a seperate liquid and run out into the pan.  You sure it wasn't just a bunch of clear fat rendering off the meat?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:24 AM »
I am pretty sure it was water, not fat.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »
I no longer buy meat at walmart since they got rid of in-store butchers and went the route of buying the meat pre-packaged from their suppliers. The meat is often dyed which makes it harder to determine quality and age visually; and at least the poultry, if not others, is always highly injected with water/saline to increase weight.

I buy packaged food at Walmart, but no produce or meat. I've never had worse produce than the stuff they have at walmart. Costco is where most of our meat comes from, we buy in bulk then cut it up and divy it out to freezer bags and freeze it all. Any meat we need smaller quantities of we get from the local grocery store. Another plus to ground meat from Costco is that unlike most stores they test all their meat for E. Coli before accepting it from the supplier.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »
I love Costco meats, and I really want to transition to buying in bulk then freezing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 02:01:21 AM »
The secret to using any cheap meat is a 20-30 minute bath in a beer.  Cheap beer works best, a miller light or BL.

For jackrabbit, adult rooster, or similar, go for overnight in the fridge in water with vinegar and salt added, then a couple hours in the beer.  Milk will also work for the final bath if you rinse well to get all the vinegar off.

Generally, if you make your chili in the crock pot and run it for at least 12-24 hours, you can make any meat edible.