Author Topic: Well known high power rocketry hobbiest dies in accident  (Read 1178 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Well known high power rocketry hobbiest dies in accident
« on: December 24, 2009, 02:04:47 PM »
Erik Gates, a well known and respected member of the high power rocketry community died in a construction accident last Sunday.
Some of you might remember Erik from some of the Mythbuster episodes where he assisted Adam and Jamie in busting rocket-related myths.

The story is here.

I never met the man, but would have liked to.  He and his brother are very well known in rocketry circles.  They have done some really cool stuff over the years.
RIP, Erik.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Well known high power rocketry hobbiest dies in accident
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »
One moment's inattention...   :'(
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 08:40:40 PM »
what a shame.....one of the reasons i don't work on a ladder or roof if i'm feeling fatigued.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 09:18:02 PM »
Very sad, and a preventable accident that should never have occurred. Skylights are known to be "holes in the roof." Building codes and OSHA regulations for years have required either guard railings around skylights to prevent exactly this type of accident, or else the skylight has to have impact-resistant glazing, structural-grade screening, or catch nets beneath them. Somebody didn't do their job at that building.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 10:25:03 PM »
older building perhaps
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
He of all people should have known that gravity kills.  Can you imagine his last thoughts?   =(
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:19 AM »
Complacency kills. It's human nature and you need to be vigilant at all times. That's a pretty tough task.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G