Author Topic: Thirty years ago today...  (Read 1287 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Thirty years ago today...
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:33:27 AM »
...the first significant earthquake occurred in the series that announced Mt. St. Helens was reawakening from her 123 years of inactivity.  We all know what happened later on May 18.
Were any of you around the area at that time?  Did anyone get to see Mt. St. Helens erupting over the next few months?
I was working at KPTV-12 in Portland, OR, that Sunday morning when the mountain popped the big one.  It was just myself and one other engineer getting the station up and running that morning.  We had a great view from the roof of the studio looking to the northeast from downtown Stumptown.
It was interesting coming out of work over the next few months, usually at zero-dark-thirty, only to find mud on my car, and more falling from the sky.  Very weird, in a cool sort of way.

Linky
A more interesting linky
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Thirty years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »
went there 15 years after.  still can't imagine the amount of energy needed to flatten trees 10 miles away.  the tv reports never did it justice.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:56 AM »
I was a junior at the UW in Seattle, and from the plaza in front of the chemistry building, you could see the smoke/ash plume as clear as day.  A very impressive sight. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
I was 7 days old.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
I was in Colorado.

As I remember, there was a hurricane or something going on in the southeast, and the volcano in Washington at the same.  I was in the middle, blue spring skies and no sign of anything wrong in the world.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »
I flew into Seattle the fall before the mountain blew up.  I also flew into Seattle the fall after the mountain blew up.  Both days were clear and sunny and the mountain was real pretty the first time, and not so pretty the second time.  My Mom gave me a jar of ash, which I still have.  My brother was going to college in eastern Washington and really got hit with the ash fallout.  My Dad was playing golf the day it blew and they heard it go.....chris3

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
I was 4.  I distinctly remember that day because they wouldn't let us outside to play at daycare and it was raining ash like snow.  This was in Billings, MT.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
I was just shy of 2 years old when it blew, living in Gresham, OR.  Just outside Portland.

I don't remember it at all, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:53:58 PM »
So you're saying that after 123 years of being cool, she suddenly goes PMS and gets pissed of at everyone for no reason?

Women.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
So you're saying that after 123 years of being cool, she suddenly goes PMS and gets pissed of at everyone for no reason?

That's pretty much it.  Have you ever considered a career as a vulcanologist, Mabs?  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »
That's pretty much it.  Have you ever considered a career as a vulcanologist, Mabs?  =D
I've considered careers in many fields, but no employer in any field has considered giving me a career.
Maybe I should go into politics, seems like a no brainer.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »
I was living in MN, fresh on my first post-college job, when it blew. No effects there . . . but much discussion about the fate of one Harry Truman, a stubborn old codger who refused to leave his home near Spirit Lake when warned about the pending eruption. Having lived there a good portion of his life, he just KNEW it wouldn't blow . . . he just KNEW it.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, it goes to show that it's not the things we don't know that get us in trouble, it's the things we know for sure that just ain't so.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain