Author Topic: Viewing Earth from the edge of space, on the cheap  (Read 2604 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Viewing Earth from the edge of space, on the cheap
« on: March 27, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
Here is something interesting that an inquisitive gentleman in England was able to do:  He developed a method for photographing the Earth from the edge of space.  On the cheap, for approximately $750 USD.
He has managed to take some very cool digital photos from 22 miles up.

Stories on MSNBC here and here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Viewing Earth from the edge of space, on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:58:19 PM »
I saw that this morning and thought it was pretty cool. 

I know it was a balloon he sent up, but a side question for you Rocketman.  How far up in the atmosphere do your rockets usually go?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »
Mine personally, not more than a few thousand feet.  I'm too lazy to walk that far to recover my rockets.  However, there are a lot of high power enthusiasts that routinely go 50k or more.  The record, IIRC, is well in excess of 100k for an amateur rocket.
Our launch site east of Bend, OR, near Brothers, has an FAA waiver to 35k ASL.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »
Thank you.....I always wondered.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:19:42 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »
You are welcome, sir.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:29:33 AM »
Our launch site east of Bend, OR, near Brothers, has an FAA waiver to 35k ASL.
Does that mean you can shoot to 35k anytime you feel like it or do you have to call and warn them.

We used to launch rockets at our old house 'cept there was always a horizontal element to our launches  :lol:
I've got fine memories of a SR-71(?) Blackbird screaming along at about 10'.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »
We must call the FAA and activate the waiver before any launch activities, and they are always very cooperative.  The high power rocketry community has a pretty decent relationship with the FAA.

On an interesting side note, the Air Force Reserve wing down at Klamath Falls uses that area for training flights.  A number of years ago they asked if they could fly around our site in their F-15s while we were launching some of our bigger rockets.  They thought it would give the pilots an idea of what SAM launches look like.
While the idea had a certain "cool" factor to it, we had to turn them down as it would have violated safety codes.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 03:20:33 PM »
Oh COME ON!!!  :mad:

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
Also, this raises some VERY interesting points on space travel I hadn't thought of before...  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »
Also, this raises some VERY interesting points on space travel I hadn't thought of before...  =)

Oh... the "Rockoons". Yeah, the idea has been bandied about for awhile now. Two main criteria need to be met.

1. Reliable release mechanism.

2. VERY RELIABLE ignition mechanism.  =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockoon

Getting one "man rated" will be a challenge, to say the least.
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
there's always the strap it on a 7E7(i think that was the latest ???) and launch it like a sidewinder. =D

changed it to 787? wth [tinfoil]

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 05:04:52 AM »
Oh... the "Rockoons". Yeah, the idea has been bandied about for awhile now. Two main criteria need to be met.

1. Reliable release mechanism.

2. VERY RELIABLE ignition mechanism.  =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockoon

Getting one "man rated" will be a challenge, to say the least.
More of an issue is not that it uses less fuel to get altitude, but that when it *is* at launch altitude, it has nearly zero velocity.  Takes a crapload of speed to get to a suitable orbit.
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »
More of an issue is not that it uses less fuel to get altitude, but that when it *is* at launch altitude, it has nearly zero velocity.  Takes a crapload of speed to get to a suitable orbit.

I dunno... If you could get the balloon into the jet-stream, it could pick up a fair bit. Although the north polar/temperate jet stream is the faster and more reliable one, but then you're robbing yourself of the equatorial spin velocity of the earth which is better. And the speeds are variable, anywhere from 50 to 200 mph. Plus there's the northerly and southerly dips in it which would work against you too.

Just better to use a plane/air-breathing first stage.

I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »
I have yet to see a picture of the device he put together. Anyone else? I'd love to see what it looked like.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 09:29:52 AM »
Shoebox wrapped in duct tape, basically
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »
Cool, thanks!
Avoid cliches like the plague!