Author Topic: "You don't normally see a DC-3 from this angle. Good thing, too."  (Read 6569 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
This is a great head-on shot of a DC-3 taken at Bend, OR, not long ago.  It is one of those pictures that causes an automatic double- or triple-take.  Read about how the picture was set up and taken, it's an interesting story in itself.
The picture and article are in the "Sightings" section of this month's Air & Space Smithsonian magazine.

We performed a similar maneuver in the CAF B-17G I used crew back in the '80s.  It's a lot of fun, especially if you are standing.  :laugh:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: "You don't normally see a DC-3 from this angle. Good thing, too."
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:50:17 PM »
I have absolutely no idea why, but the DC-3 has always been my favorite airplane.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 05:13:45 PM »
They remind me of old tough cars or trucks that may be heavy and old fashioned but just work really well.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »
We performed a similar maneuver in the CAF B-17G I used crew back in the '80s.  It's a lot of fun, especially if you are standing.  :laugh:

You talking about the "Don't Mess With Texas" commercial?  Pure gold, that.  Wasn't it Texas Raider that was used in the shoot?

You know they moved the headquarters from Harlingen to Midland, right?  (They also went politically correct and changed the name, too, but that's a source of irritation, not joy.)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:49:30 PM »
Brad, I used to crew "Sentimental Journey" out of Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ.  It is the other, much prettier B17 that the Arizona Wing of the CAF owns.
Back then we had a pilot (unfortunately, he later died in a plane crash) that used to perform that maneuver in the "Journey".
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
We performed a similar maneuver in the CAF B-17G I used crew back in the '80s.  It's a lot of fun, especially if you are standing.

I take it nobody in your crew has motion sickness issues. ;)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
I take it nobody in your crew has motion sickness issues. ;)

It was over with so quickly that motion sickness was never a factor.  But on long flights, some folks got a little queasy if they weren't used to low-'n'-slow through the desert air.   [barf]

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »
I have absolutely no idea why, but the DC-3 has always been my favorite airplane.  =)

Ditto.

For me, it's a combination of having flown home in one when I was 6 months old, when my father was shipped overseas during WW2, and growing up reading Terry and the Pirates. Besides, it's one of those classic designs that just "looks right" -- like a Colt 1873 SAA or M1911, for example.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
Dad's job in Thailand, command of the U.S. Navy Advisory Group, included a more or less personal C-47.  Used to enjoy having the flight engineer come aft for a visual engine check as we climbed off the runway, enjoyment my eight year old sister did not at all share.  Our only real adventure with that plane was when the flight crew got a sudden case of the "OH! SHIPS!" when the Royal Thai Navy mistook us for a target drone.  We in the cheap seats got no warning as flares were launched and a diving turn was executed.  Fortunately, we were nowhere near the expected altitude and the AA did no harm.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
Your sister would only have to worry if a red light came on near the door, you stood up, and yelled "Three okay!!"

=D :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »
Brad, I used to crew "Sentimental Journey" out of Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ.  It is the other, much prettier B17 that the Arizona Wing of the CAF owns.

Did they ever get Fifi back in the air?  Last I heard (six or seven years ago) she was down for a major structural overhaul.  Something about major problems with the wing spar or some such.

I think Red Nose was down then, too.  Some clown hopped in without checking the maintenance tag and anded up running with no coolant.  Don't know why they'd be grousing what with overhauls on Merlins being the insignificant, cheap things they are. (about $200k last I heard)

Brad
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:34:12 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »
http://www.rgvwingcaf.com/museum.html

We used to head down after work and on weekends for BBQ's and beer.... :cool:

I got some rides in some neat stuff thanks to the CAF boys, including at least two of the planes on this page.... :cool: :cool:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Did they ever get Fifi back in the air?  Last I heard (six or seven years ago) she was down for a major structural overhaul.  Something about major problems with the wing spar or some such.

I think Red Nose was down then, too.  Some clown hopped in without checking the maintenance tag and anded up running with no coolant.  Don't know why they'd be grousing what with overhauls on Merlins being the insignificant, cheap things they are. (about $200k last I heard)

Brad

Last I heard is that Fifi is being reengined. To the tune of something like a mil and a quarter. Hope they are putting the P&W Wasp Major engines from the B-50 in instead of the Wright R-3350s they came with originally (which was a wholly unreliable engine in the B-29...causing the loss of many aircraft, including the XB-29.

Edit: Found out she may soon be back in the air. They started the engines last Sept. and are still doing other work. And they did put Wright R-3350s in her, but derated and w/o the superchargers to make them last longer.

Hijack- does anyone remember the title of a B&W movie about B-29s in WWII? I remember watching it as a kid.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:07:11 PM by Avenger29 »
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:42:46 PM »
Last time I saw Fifi in the air (10  years ago) operating  cost was something like ten grand an hour.

Brad
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 11:12:44 PM »
Hijack- does anyone remember the title of a B&W movie about B-29s in WWII? I remember watching it as a kid

Wouldn't be thinking of "12 O'clock High", would ya?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »
Wouldn't be thinking of "12 O'clock High", would ya?

DD

No, 12 O'Clock High deals with B-17s in the ETO.

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
It was worth suggesting.  I've misrememberated things before.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
I've misrememberated things before.

DD

Alzheimers.  Dimentia.  Old age.  Whatever.   =D

Brad
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 12:56:50 AM »
You're just not right.   :laugh:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
You're just not right.   :laugh:

DD

Pfft.  Tell me something I don't know... =D

Brad
-HankB

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
I started flying Hummers (Marine Super-DC3 with, IIRC, 1,700 SHP supercharged engines) in Chu Lai in 1968. One night the duty driver awaoke me in my tent and said The Group CO wants you at the line in your flight gear." I groggily went down to the flight line, got my g-suit, torso harness and survival vest and reported to the duty officer, who kind of snickered and told me I wouldn't need anything but my self and flight suit. It was 0230. Just then the Colonel came in and said "You're my copilot for a flare drop mission. Let's go." We walked out to the Hummer, preflighted, climbed aboard and I took the copilot seat. Colonel New did the start, taxi, takeoff, and set it up in a climb; then he said "You've got the aircraft" and went aft and laid down to sleep.

The Gunny and I figured out where we were and what we had to do, and we started talking to grunts on the ground who were engaged in a firefight and needed some of the 1,500 M45 flares we had aboard. We dropped a bunch and had to RTB at dawn. Colonel New came up fresh from a three-hour "nap" and coached me through my first-ever tail-dragger landing. I eventually flew about 500 hours in Hummers in that and two subsequent tours in WestPac.

I would never associate that picture of a Hummer in a near-vertical (apparent) attitude. Hummers don't do vertical, believe me.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
Hummers don't do vertical, believe me.

Oh, I bet they can do it nose down  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »
Oh, I bet they can do it nose down  :O

If nose down counts, I can "fly" too.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
Is this the beast, Leatherneck?

I was privileged to ride in one of these in Sept. 1977 from Stumps to Luke AFB west of Phoenix.  It was a USMC(R) bird out of Phoenix, but I don't know if it was this one as I didn't get the tail number.

The C117D sports a pair of 1,475 hp Wright Cyclone R-1820-80 engines.  The same as used in the B17G, incidentally.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »
What did Uncle Salty's Misguided Children do to the vertical stabilizer?  ???

I've never seen that modification before...
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams