Author Topic: Substandard victim selection process  (Read 3676 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Substandard victim selection process
« on: July 26, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »
Another example of a poor victim selection process.  Or maybe a badly thought out robbing process.
In any event, a man tried to rob a gun store with a baseball bat.  It didn't work out quite the way he had hoped.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Substandard victim selection process
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
 Peace through inferior batpower.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »
If Obama had a son...
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »
If Obama had a son...

He would get his guns from the ATF, like Mexican drug dealers.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
Derrick Mosley owes me a new keyboard!

One of the smaller LGS aound here has installed a new anti-theft device - from the outside the door opens by pushing on it.  To get out you need staff to buzz you out through the electronic lock.  Big sign telling folks to "WAIT FOR BUZZ BEFORE OPENING DOOR".  Since putting it in they have already had one person break a toe trying to kick the door open (it pulls open to exit) to get out.  He was just impatient, not a thief.  I want to see the tape when they get a thief caught between the door and  the counter staff (at lest two on duty at all times) armed with Serbu shortys.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
I refer to such events as "catastrophic failure of the victim selection process" when the intended victim manages to terminate the perp. I guess for this one it would need to have "near" added as the 1st word.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 01:15:09 AM »
...a man tried to rob a gun store with a baseball bat...

Choice. What is it that's so refreshing about stupid, incompetent criminals?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 04:18:48 AM »

Choice. What is it that's so refreshing about stupid, incompetent criminals?

Its almost banal now. A decade ago or so a guy walked past black and whites with light bars into a gun store to try to hold it up. As I recall he got ventilated with a 10mm, can't recall if it was the owner or one of the cops.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »
Its almost banal now. A decade ago or so a guy walked past black and whites with light bars into a gun store to try to hold it up. As I recall he got ventilated with a 10mm, can't recall if it was the owner or one of the cops.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/dumdum/gunshop.asp
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »

Shot 23 times! Stupid kills!

Sorry. Snopes said he was only shot 4 times. Although 4 is only enough to be too many for one's health, it would seem. Stupid still kills.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »

The Snopes story itself suffers from a bit of "gun journalism by the ignorant" syndrome.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
The Snopes story itself suffers from a bit of "gun journalism by the ignorant" syndrome.

What makes you say that? The .38-caliber automatic?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »

That, and picturing a revolver when they talk about the ".38-caliber automatic".

And

It's unclear how many shots were fired, in part because some of the suspect's shots struck ammunition on the counter, causing the ammunition to explode.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
That, and picturing a revolver when they talk about the ".38-caliber automatic".

That's not ignorance. That's just one of those stock bits of clip art (sometimes stock photos) that end up on gun-related stories. They're not saying it was the gun that was used.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »

And

.38 Super, anyone? =|
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
I like the shots hitting ammo in the counter and causing it to explode.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
I like the shots hitting ammo in the counter and causing it to explode.

They were probably using a little poetic license (read: hyperbole) to describe the box rupturing from being shot, and scattering rounds all over the place.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
I'm guessing that it is possible to set of a cartridge by shooting it, although I'm not sure of the angle needed to cause the primer to go off?

But I can understand the hyperbole. If someone came and shot boxes of my ammo and sends it flying all over the room I'll kick their bums from here to next year. I hate crawling around on my hands and knees collecting ammo that's been scattered. There's always one round that you just can't find till a few days later when you step on it with bare feet first thing in the morning.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 08:38:26 PM »
I'm guessing that it is possible to set of a cartridge by shooting it, although I'm not sure of the angle needed to cause the primer to go off?

People have tried shooting primers to make them go off. Generally doesn't work. The bullets move too fast; by the time the primer has a chance to detonate, it's already been pushed clear of the case and gunpowder.

Now, a fragment that's going much slower might do it. I actually saw it happen once. Someone shot a steel target with a .22, the .22 shattered and sprayed lead downward, and one fragment hit a live cartridge that was sitting under the target for some odd reason, setting it off.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »

I have seen and handled a .38 Special auto loader it was a  Colt 1911. I was told by the owner that it was part of a special run for the Air Force marksmanship team. The guy was probably in his late 60s early 70s when he showed it to me. Then of course .38 super is a pretty common caliber for auto loaders.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »
Da' Sheriff was in LGS today. Told him about the ball bat incident. "Only thing I worry about in here is crossfire!"
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »
One LGS, since remodeled, had a doorway that went from the back counter area into their offices and gunsmithing areas. I got to go back there for some help with a really bad stuck case situation (Don't shoot soft brass +p+ 9mm ammo in an HK fluted chamber, the fire-forming is a bitch...)

And I noticed a SBS right above the other side of the door jamb on pegs, right where you might naturally raise your arms in a stickup...  =D
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
People have tried shooting primers to make them go off. Generally doesn't work. The bullets move too fast; by the time the primer has a chance to detonate, it's already been pushed clear of the case and gunpowder.

Now, a fragment that's going much slower might do it. I actually saw it happen once. Someone shot a steel target with a .22, the .22 shattered and sprayed lead downward, and one fragment hit a live cartridge that was sitting under the target for some odd reason, setting it off.

Yeah, I was thinking that to shoot it intentionally to make it go off, you'd have to hit it indirectly so that the force of the bullets passing would generate enough power to set the primer off, without decimating the whole cartridge.

It seems the kind of thing that 1 in a Billion could have it happen intentionally once, and the rest of the time, it would be a really freak acciedent.

(on a side note: why is it fun to run the hypothetical for causing extreamly improbable events?)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »
Also, bullets that do go off unconfined, it's hard to tell the difference than the damage and scattering being shot without detonating would do anyway. Plastic shotshells are even worse, they usually just perforate out the side of the plastic hull and go nowhere at all.

The average fps for an unconfined detonation is usually around 300fps, with the case usually doing the flying, since it masses much less than the bullet in most calibers.

I uh also have first hand experience... I crushed a live .22LR by slamming my safe door on it, and it actually hit my leg, it was like an Airsoft hit.   :-X

While shooting a primer and actually setting it off might be a million to one event, I can say that small pistol primers fit nicely into .177 airguns, and engage the rifling just enough to spin them so they hit a brick wall or steel plate cup first, and make a nice "bang" when they hit.  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
Also, bullets that do go off unconfined, it's hard to tell the difference than the damage and scattering being shot without detonating would do anyway. Plastic shotshells are even worse, they usually just perforate out the side of the plastic hull and go nowhere at all.

The average fps for an unconfined detonation is usually around 300fps, with the case usually doing the flying, since it masses much less than the bullet in most calibers.

I uh also have first hand experience... I crushed a live .22LR by slamming my safe door on it, and it actually hit my leg, it was like an Airsoft hit.   :-X

While shooting a primer and actually setting it off might be a million to one event, I can say that small pistol primers fit nicely into .177 airguns, and engage the rifling just enough to spin them so they hit a brick wall or steel plate cup first, and make a nice "bang" when they hit.  :angel:

One fact that ruins a lot lot of otherwise good/fun movies for me.