Author Topic: Facebook datasourcing fail  (Read 1197 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Facebook datasourcing fail
« on: May 31, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »
Friend of mine is convinced that everything commercially produced is (insert tinfoil hat, monopolistically evil, or maliciously unscrupulous description here). As a result she falls for every rendition of "Never buy commercial THIS again!" facebook twaddle. The latest is weed killer. She mixed up some Facebook-exalted concoction and dutifully drenched her yard in it. I guess it worked because the weeds are dead. And the grass. And her flowers. And two of her shrubs. Her yard is a pathetic brown splotch in a neighborhood swathed in green.

She's had other, less critical fails from FB info before (the laundry soap episode is rather memorable) but this is on a whole new level. I keep telling her to stop with the Facebook data sourcing, or at least do some basic fact-checking before taking the leap. Maybe this will get the point accross.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Facebook datasourcing fail
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »
I keep seeing all this proof that Darwin was wrong.  Yet people argue against Creationism.   ???
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 05:39:11 PM »
I keep seeing all this proof that Darwin was wrong.  Yet people argue against Creationism.   ???
Survival of the fittest can't really be applied to humans anymore.  I figure it stopped applying decades ago.  If anything, we subsidize the opposite behavior. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icmRCixQrx8
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »
Friend of mine is convinced that everything commercially produced is (insert tinfoil hat, monopolistically evil, or maliciously unscrupulous description here). As a result she falls for every rendition of "Never buy commercial THIS again!" facebook twaddle. The latest is weed killer. She mixed up some Facebook-exalted concoction and dutifully drenched her yard in it. I guess it worked because the weeds are dead. And the grass. And her flowers. And two of her shrubs. Her yard is a pathetic brown splotch in a neighborhood swathed in green.

Because people buy commercial products because uhm, reasons instead of because they work?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »
Here's something for the bunny squeezers
http://weedcontrolfreaks.com/2014/06/salt-vinegar-and-glyphosate/

All hail monsanto

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 01:37:51 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »
THIS HOMEMADE HERBICIDE MIXTURE MIGHT GIVE YOU HERPES!

Heh.

I have used concentrated vinegar and glyphosphate to kill weeds.  Vinegar kills the surface fast, glyphosphate kills more slowly, but more thoroughly.

Would not suggest adding salt to the vinegar.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 04:55:53 PM »

She's had other, less critical fails from FB info before (the laundry soap episode is rather memorable) but this is on a whole new level. I keep telling her to stop with the Facebook data sourcing, or at least do some basic fact-checking before taking the leap. Maybe this will get the point accross.

Brad
What did she expect this magical facebook plant killer to do after she applied it to all of her plants?

Seems to me her story is a resounding endorsement for the non-product.