Author Topic: XBox owners on AT&T Uverse service, performance enhancing tips  (Read 1289 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
RKL, this will also help if you have customers complaining their Xbox is having connection problems, especially with Grand Theft Auto Online.

Uverse recently upgraded my modem/router after wifi in the old box bit the big one.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=48033.msg980284#msg980284

Since then I've had issues with Xbox-based video streaming services, mostly YouTube. Slow loads, buffering, etc.. After a lot of research and couple of annoyingly clueless phone support calls I think I've found a solution and wanted to post it for anyone else suffering the same problem. It's ports. No, not the shipping kind. The "need to open in your modem/router" kind.

Router is a Motorola Arris NVG589 but I believe the following also applies to the entire NVG5xx family (they are AT&T-specific).

XBox Live Required Port Configuration

UDP:

TCP:

UDP/TCP:

GTA Online additional port configuration

TCP:

UDP:

1)
DON'T PANIC! It looks like a lot of instructions but it really isn't. I am trying to clearly delineate the steps and describe them in enough plain-language detail that non-techies can easily follow along.

2)
Turn on your Xbox and make sure it is connected to your router/network. If you are unsure you can go to the Network page in Xbox settings and it will give a network status.

3)
In your internet browser window of choice type 192.168.1.254 into the URL/address box (This is the IP address for many modem/routers. You can double check by looking at the ID tag on your modem.) This will open the router management menu.

4)
Go to FIREWALL and then NAT/GAMING. Enter your Device Access Code (again, found on the modem ID tag). This will take you to the NAT/GAMING Hosted Applications page.

5)
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Custom Services button. This will take you to the CUSTOM SERVICES Service List page.

6)
Scroll to the middle of the page and you will see the Service Entry boxes. Don't panic. It's easy. Type in a Name (I started with Xbox Rule 1 and went up numerically for each additional entry. Creative, Yes?). For each port listed use that number in all three of the Global Port Range and Base Port Host boxes. (In other words, if it's port 88 then you put "88" in all three boxes.) Select the proper Protocol (UDP, TCP, or both) and click the Add button. Repeat for each port number. You should end up with thirteen entries showing at the top of the Service List screen.

7)
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the RETURN TO NAT/GAMING button. This will take you back to the NAT/GAMING Hosted Applications page. Look for APPLICATION HOSTING ENTRY in the middle of the page.

8)
In the SERVICE drop-down box you will likely see your first custom rule displayed by name. If not, open the drop-down and select the first rule. In the NEEDED BY DEVICE box select the Xbox name or IP address as necessary. Mine came up as XboxOne by default so it was pretty obvious. This is why you want the Xbox on and connected before you start. When the SERVICE and DEVICE fields are properly populated, click ADD. The router will think for a bit, then you'll see the new rule pop up in a HOSTED APPLICATIONS grid just above the APPLICATION HOSTING ENTRY fields. Repeat for each additional rule. When don your thirteen new custom port rules should be displayed in the HOSTED APPLICATIONS grid.

9)
You're done. Close your browser window and reboot your Xbox.

If you want to check your results, go SETTINGS in your Xbox and select NETWORK. In middle the network info screen you should see the CURRENT NETWORK STATUS field. If it says NAT Type: Open then you're good.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:10:56 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: XBox owners on AT&T Uverse service, performance enhancing tips
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
Nice of you to do that, Brad.  I don't have that brand of modem, but still, it was darn decent of you.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: XBox owners on AT&T Uverse service, performance enhancing tips
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 03:17:17 PM »
If you have the 2wire Uverse modem you can easily open the NAT on a device-specific basis. Two settings and you're done. Footwork is a little fancier with the "more advanced" Arris modems.

Edit to add:
Well, it helped... a little. Buffering and pauses are reduced, but still more prevalent than when I use video streaming apps on my phone. I'm chalking it up to the XBox Live connection being an occasional bottleneck. Meh. It's workable so I'n not wating any more time on it.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:11:56 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB