Author Topic: Marvel's Daredevil on Netflix. Good show, incredibly good production values  (Read 929 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Started watching Marvel's Daredevil on Netflix. Good show, following the general ideology and canon of the comics. What's really impressive are the video and audio. Several someones with plenty of talent are on the production team. Visuals are good, really good, doing a lot for the mood and feel of the show. I'm not a big fan of the handheld camera-shake style for every scene but it works for the show.

What impresses me most is the sound. I'm a big A/V guy, heavy on the A. I like good audio, balanced and immersive. Audio production on Daredevil is this an then some. The audio production would be good for a big-budget movie. For a made-for-Netflix TV show it's nothing short of stunning. I just watched a scene with a 360 camera pan while a character was singing. The voice panned so smoothly, seamlessly, and naturally to the camera view that I ended up watching the scene four or five times out of sheer amazement. Whomever is doing their audio production will never have to worry about finding work. When you're this good, work finds you.

If you were a fan of the comic the series is definitely worth a watch. Heck, it's pretty good even if you have no idea about the comics. Vincent D'Onofrio's character comes across as a little wooden and stilted but it's a minor nitpick.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

erictank

• friends
I binge-watched it the weekend after it came out.  Thought it was freaking INCREDIBLE. 

For those who watch fantasy movies, or who are fans of Neil Gaiman - Matt Murdock/Daredevil is played by the kid who played Tristan in the 2007 film adaptation of Gaiman's 'Stardust' (which I really liked).  It took me till episode 2 to realize that - first episode, I was going, "I've seen him in SOMETHING..." the whole time.  Season 2 will see the Punisher appearing, played by the guy who played Shane Walsh (Rick's former friend) on The Walking Dead - Jon Bernthal.

Brad - have you gotten to the hallway fight scene yet?  It was *AMAZING*.  And once you've seen it, for a change of pace, go to Youtube and look up the Yakkity-sax version of it.

If Daredevil's Season 1 is representative of the quality of Marvel's upcoming Netflix series (currently projecting Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders, in addition to Daredevil), I am all in.

Brad Johnson

• friend
Watched the entire first season. Only 13 episodes? Cheapskates!

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
Watched the entire first season. Only 13 episodes? Cheapskates!

Brad

Right? I binged on it as well.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Saw it at a buddy's house.  NOT as kid friendly as the Marvel movies.  Otherwise concur with the accolades above.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
Judging by the positive comments and mention of "episodes", I will assume this is NOT about the the Ben Aflack movie from a few years back. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
Judging by the positive comments and mention of "episodes", I will assume this is NOT about the the Ben Aflack movie from a few years back. 

New Netflix series, premiered this past April.  Much awesomeness.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

Nope, not that flick.  Better in most every way except for lacking Jennifer Garner in tight leather or any other hottie in a tight leather outfit.  I mean, if you're going to methodically crush someone's head with a truck door and show bits of it, can we at least have some eye candy to balance out the slate?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

And that was why I hadn't even looked at it until last weekend.  I like it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
Update... Season Two is up. Just watched the first episode. Looks to be a solid follow-up to the Season One goodness.

Brad
-HankB