Author Topic: Tom Clancy's Jack Jr. series written by Grant Blackwood  (Read 1967 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Tom Clancy's Jack Jr. series written by Grant Blackwood
« on: July 24, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »
After Tom Clancy passed I wondered if his estate would keep the series viable. They did, and very well. Grant blackwood is writing them now. I think he's got Clancy's plot/tactical/logistics style and general story sensibilities down pat. I just finished the latest, Under Fire, and thoroughly enjoyed every page.

If you were a Clancy fan and had wandered away from the Ryan series I encourage you to try it again. The Jack Jr series begins with Teeth Of The Tiger.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Jr. series written by Grant Blackwood
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »
I felt like Clancy jumped the shark with Debt of Honor.  Rainbow six was enjoyable, but beyond that i couldn't stand the rest of the series after DoH.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 01:34:56 PM »
Yeah, but it was a shark with frikkin laser beams on it's head!

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »
He did pretty much predict 9/11 with the 747 incident.  The first time I heard some politicritter say "we never thought they'd do that!"  I was like "Tom Clancy *expletive deleted*ing did!!!!"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 02:42:23 PM »
DIRTY LITTLE SEEKRIT DEPT.

Many, if not most, popular book series have actually been written by ghostwriters after the first one or two by the original authors achieve commercial success.

They send the ghostwriter(s) a plot outline or premise and a style sheet, and you crank it out and send it in and they pay you and it's edited and published under the famous writer's name.

This has been going on for centuries in almost all the arts, and is sometimes called the Studio System or Syndication.

Many famous works of art and music were and still are produced under this Studio System.

An artist or composer produces a few successful works, and either s/he or the publisher forms a "studio" to enhance output.  And $.

For the example that first put me on to this, see...

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/hardy-boys-nancy-drew-ghostwriters/394022/

...although I became aware of this "system" looong before this particular article and was very disappointed because the Hardy Boys series was one of my favorite teen/pre-teen series of books.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »
Honestly, The Bear and the Dragon was the last Clancy novel I really enjoyed.  Didn't care for the Jack, Jr. novels as much.  Favorites were Clear and Present Danger and Without Remorse, though I also like Rainbiw Six.  Maybe because I was Infantry back in the day, so the ground stuff appealed to me more than the Navy stuff and pure spy stuff.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
Honestly, The Bear and the Dragon was the last Clancy novel I really enjoyed.  Didn't care for the Jack, Jr. novels as much.  Favorites were Clear and Present Danger and Without Remorse, though I also like Rainbiw Six.  Maybe because I was Infantry back in the day, so the ground stuff appealed to me more than the Navy stuff and pure spy stuff.

I agree on Bear and the Dragon. Without Remorse and Rainbow Six are two of my favorites, but Debt of Honor was the best for me- likely because of my interest in the Japanese theatre in WWII.

I agree, it was a little over the top how Jack Ryan became president... except for the way that it predicted 9/11. Truth, of course, doesn't have to be as believable as fiction.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »
Honestly, The Bear and the Dragon was the last Clancy novel I really enjoyed.  Didn't care for the Jack, Jr. novels as much.  Favorites were Clear and Present Danger and Without Remorse, though I also like Rainbiw Six.  Maybe because I was Infantry back in the day, so the ground stuff appealed to me more than the Navy stuff and pure spy stuff.

Without Remorse is freaking epic.
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
Without Remorse is freaking epic.

Someone really ought to make a John Clark movie.

Bourne is such a piker.

But, now that I think of it, they'd make it a Bourne movie with John Clark as the Bourne clone. Forget I said anything.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 05:00:17 PM »

The more I learn, the less I can enjoy a Tom Clancy novel. But obviously, dude had a substantial market.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 05:25:17 PM »
Someone really ought to make a John Clark movie.

Bourne is such a piker.

But, now that I think of it, they'd make it a Bourne movie with John Clark as the Bourne clone. Forget I said anything.

There had been a rumor of a Without Remorse movie once upon a time.  Wish they would.
JD

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »
There had been a rumor of a Without Remorse movie once upon a time.  Wish they would.

With our luck someone is shopping it as a Liam Neeson or Tom Cruise vehicle.  :facepalm:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 05:44:07 PM »

No longer a rumor. No details other tha the project being in active development.

Brad
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 06:05:11 PM »
No longer a rumor. No details other tha the project being in active development.

Brad

For like a billion years at this point....right?
JD

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
The 2012 reports on Kevin Costner's contract for the Jack Ryan reboot included a second movie specifically titled Without Remorse. Everything I'm seeing shows the second project as having writers and directors attached. That's usually a semi-decent sign the project will come to fruition.

Brad
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »
The 2012 reports on Kevin Costner's contract for the Jack Ryan reboot included a second movie specifically titled Without Remorse. Everything I'm seeing shows the second project as having writers and directors attached. That's usually a semi-decent sign the project will come to fruition.

Brad

Costner?!? So, my worst case scenario was a wet dream by comparison. Yeesh.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »
I take it you haven't seen Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit?

Brad
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »
Ooooooooooooo......

It was actually decent.  Yes, I've seen it.
JD

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »
I take it you haven't seen Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit?

Brad

I have. It wasn't bad. Costner is not my image of Clark, and him leading Without Remorse? I don't see that working well.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
I have. It wasn't bad. Costner is not my image of Clark, and him leading Without Remorse? I don't see that working well.

I don't think that Costner was supposed to be clark.

William Defoe was Clark in Clear and Present Danger, FWIW.
JD

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »
Without Remorse was great but my favorite is not a Jack Ryan book. Red Storm Rising is my all time favorite Clancy book. One of my all time favorites from any writer.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 09:59:07 PM »
Without Remorse was great but my favorite is not a Jack Ryan book. Red Storm Rising is my all time favorite Clancy book. One of my all time favorites from any writer.

Agreed.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 10:00:51 PM »
I don't think that Costner was supposed to be clark.

William Defoe was Clark in Clear and Present Danger, FWIW.

I hadn't realized that Dafoe's character was Clark. Still doesn't sell as the quiet, unassuming bipedal whoopass factory I envision Clark to be.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 10:25:29 PM »
Jason Statham would be an epic Clark in fitting perfectly with the book.
JD

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 11:22:16 PM »
Honestly, The Bear and the Dragon was the last Clancy novel I really enjoyedDidn't care for the Jack, Jr. novels as muchFavorites were Clear and Present Danger and Without Remorse, though I also like Rainbiw SixMaybe because I was Infantry back in the day, so the ground stuff appealed to me more than the Navy stuff and pure spy stuff.

I'm Phantom Warrior and I endorse every single part of this message...