Author Topic: Termites in healthy trees? Apparently so.  (Read 802 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Termites in healthy trees? Apparently so.
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »
I have two honey locusts. Today one of them spontaneously shed one of its largest limbs. Split down the middle about two feet from the trunk. Termites were pouring out of a hole the size of my thumb in the center of the branch.

But here's the strange part...

First, the trees are outwardly healthy. About 35 yrs old. Not in an ideal location, being between the curb and the street, but otherwise appearing fine in all respects. Second, when I trimmed the branch back to the trunk there was no sign of ground-up infestation. Unblemished, healthy wood. The critters seem to have entered through the bark as there were several borer-like holes drooling sap near the infested area.

Unfortunately it looks like the companion tree about 15" away is also affected. I pulled several chunks of loose bark and discovered the little nasties there, too.

Our area isn't prone to termites. Sandy soils that drain well, low humidity, semi-arid, lots of direct sunlight, etc. etc.. Most termite infestations 'round here are directly attributable to untreated lumber in contact with soild that remains damp. Stack of old fence pickets are a common location. Dripping faucets on the shady side of a house are also a sure draw. Otherwise it's relatively rare to have a termite problem. This is the first time I've ever encountered termitrs in a healthy tree.

The tree really, really need to be gone. Their location is poor and the roots are beginning to lift the sidewalk. Unfortunately I don't currently have the $800 necessary to have them properly removed. Is there something I can hit them with, short of napalm or detcord, that'll keep critters at bay for a while?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Termites in healthy trees? Apparently so.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:13:45 PM »
DDT?   =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:15:01 PM »
Agent Orange should solve both of your problems.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:23:20 PM »
DDT?   =D

stay safe.

Nope, Chlordane for the win.

How can I minimize exposure to chlordane that may still be in the environment?

Avoid digging in the soil, or planting gardens within 2 to 3 feet of foundations of older buildings that have been treated with chlordane.
    Do not allow children to play with or handle the soil around foundations of homes that were treated with chlordane.
    If unsure about chlordane contamination, check with the local fish and game or health authorities before eating sport fish caught from local streams and rivers.
    If you still have containers with chlordane in your home or garage, contact your regional environmental authorities on how to handle and dispose chlordane properly.

I can recall the proper disposal of some old chlordane in a termite-infested wall of an old church a few years back.  [Not my church, I was merely called in by a buddy to help with some demo.  I stayed to watch.  It was like they were spraying the framing with little shots of freedom & liberty.] 

I have another buddy whose step-dad still has a few 50# sacks of DDT stored in his home's bomb/tornado shelter from back in the day.  You never know, they say cockroaches would survive a nuclear war.  Some DDT might come in handy at that time.

FTR, my home's foundation was more than likely treated many years ago.  Found an old, defunct termite infestation and have not had a recurrence.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
Update...

What I thought were mature termites are really carpenter ants. That explains the question of exterior entry sites rather than ground-up interior intrusion.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »

I know it's a joke, but AO is a herbicide and Brad needs an insecticide.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »
Update...

What I thought were mature termites are really carpenter ants. That explains the question of exterior entry sites rather than ground-up interior intrusion.

Brad

Carpenter ants come in after the rot, they don't eat healthy wood tissue. I wouldn't worry about them, the cost of treatment isn't worth it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »
I know it's a joke, but AO is a herbicide and Brad needs an insecticide.

Spray enough of it on the trees and it'll kill the bugs.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
Carpenter ants come in after the rot, they don't eat healthy wood tissue. I wouldn't worry about them, the cost of treatment isn't worth it.

Not in my experience. I had them in a wall at the house and an interior hollow core door at my office. Treatment was easy and relatively cheap. Very effective also- 1 application and they were gone.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 04:53:17 PM »
We have them out where I grew up.  They like to find nests in the Live Oak trees.  I don't know if they eat healthy wood or not, but they may not be healthy for the tree. 

I have watched about a dozen of them pull apart of a cicada before.  They be live in trees, but they are not just plant eaters. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »
Not in my experience. I had them in a wall at the house and an interior hollow core door at my office. Treatment was easy and relatively cheap. Very effective also- 1 application and they were gone.

Sounds like the wood in the walls already had some decay problems.

Uranus is a gas giant.