Author Topic: Looking for a 70" TV?  (Read 892 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Looking for a 70" TV?
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »
If you've been wanting a bigger TV then Walmart may be your best friend this week. Their black friday ad posted over the weekend. Vizio 70" 240Hz 1080p TV will be $898. According to the ad online availablity begins Thursday with a ship-to-store free freight delivery option.

https://www.blackfriday.fm/adscan/walmart/page/2

Brad
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:04:44 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Looking for a 70" TV?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:46:58 PM »
For whatever reason, I read that as a 1970s TV...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
I'd like a bigger TV, but I think I'm going to wait until we reach the point described in Fahrenheit 451...

Where entire walls are replaced with TVs to give that fully interactive experience.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »
For whatever reason, I read that as a 1970s TV...

Might be Ambien related.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »
I'm not sure where I'd put a 70". My 52" is just about right for me. About the only upgrade incentive for me would be a 55-60" non-4K since they're so cheap right now, and also half the weight of mine. I thought mine was light when I got it because it weighed about the same as my old (I think) 37" Aquos. It's a bear to lift by yourself though because of both weight and size for handholds.  I can about lift with one hand the 48" I got for my parents a couple of years ago. Another couple of years and Costco will be selling 100" paper thin TVs that you just roll up and unroll.  :laugh:

Otherwise, I'm not sure if there's a point for me to go super duper high-def, given my 55 year old eyes. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »
I'd like a bigger TV, but I think I'm going to wait until we reach the point described in Fahrenheit 451...

Where entire walls are replaced with TVs to give that fully interactive experience.

70" isn't that far from that.

There are only 3 windows in my house that are wider than that TV's 5 foot+ width. I'm amused that our 32" (or is it a 39"? Eh, one of them) is now a "modest" TV.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »

There are only 3 windows in my house that are wider than that TV's 5 foot+ width. I'm amused that our 32" (or is it a 39"? Eh, one of them) is now a "modest" TV.

As I recall, depending on your room size, i.e., in a smaller room, a 70" could give you a worse viewing experience than a 40".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »

Considered replacing your windows with TV's and outdoor webcams?

Higher security, less heat loss. Complete privacy.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »
Considered replacing your windows with TV's and outdoor webcams?

Higher security, less heat loss. Complete privacy.  =D

With a servo motor to automatically open the curtains as a screen saver?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 06:13:01 PM »
With a servo motor to automatically open the curtains as a screen saver  track and fire the machine guns?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
70 is way too big.

I have a thirty something/close to forty. I wish I had gone one size higher because I could have afforded it (when I got to the store I found that the advertised price had dropped from what I had found on the internet) but decided to be fiscally responsible rather than go all out. The thing was, I could have gone about two more sizes up and stayed within budget, but I really felt that it was just too damn big.
And the TV is a big deal in this house, not to mention my Dad only has one eye so a bigger screen was a major factor in that purchase.

I remember when the really large flat screens first came out and a friend of mine's family purchased a HUGE one. It took up almost one entire wall in their very small living room and was incredibly uncomfortable to watch, not to mention the pixilation issue, since TV service had not caught up with the TV technology yet.

Sometimes, bigger is not better and as much as such statements are sacrilege to many men, TV's are one of those things.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 06:42:25 PM »
The TV in my living room is about 16 years old - a Toshiba 36" CRT that probably weighs more than I do. (And I'm not a midget.)

I see BestBuy has a 65" XBR Sony 4k for around $1800 . . . 960 "effective" refresh rate, triluminos color, more bells and whistles . . . not too bad.

I'm just trying to get them to agree that the new TVs come with better programming than I have now.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »
Damn, too bad I'm in the middle of moving and buying a new house, a 70" would be awesome in the basement bar I'm going to build in the new place. I bet it will be on sale for the same price or less come February.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cornerrow

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 07:37:30 PM »
70 inch tv is way to big for a bed room unless, your room is as big as a living room, surely you will appreciate it.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 07:42:51 PM »
The bigger the TV, the less often I have to update my prescription glasses!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama