Author Topic: What's Your Computer Backup Method?  (Read 3852 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: What's Your Computer Backup Method?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 02:10:46 PM »
Just curious regarding what everyone is using for computer backups. I've run the gamut from tapes to Windows Backup to Retrospect. For the last couple of years, I've been backing up data only. I have all my data in a couple of directories that every couple of weeks I drag over to an external USB HD and put into dated directories. As the drive fills up, I delete the oldest dates. I also archive onto DVD every month or two and put those in the gun safe.

I sometimes think about going back to full backup, like Retrospect, but then figure if I have a crash, maybe that's a sign I should just nuke and reinstall OS and prgs. A little extra work doing things like replacing bookmarks and email addresses from backup, but they go onto a fresh install.

So what do you all do?

For my servers, retrospect.  I keep two weeks worth of daily backups on disk, push to tape every Sunday.  Might move to a full month worth of daily backups once I get my new DAS.  For my laptops, I create a ghost image every few weeks.  All important data is sync'd to a spot on the servers.  The ghosts can restore my laptop back to any snapshot I wish.  The programs, not the data, are the important factor on the laptops.  Opposite on my servers.

I do a fresh OS install every couple months.  At the moment, I'm angling for a new laptop anywho.  I'm gonna try to run Longhorn on an M2010.   angel
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 02:44:20 PM »
How about another computer? Get another desktop/laptop. Works for me.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 02:47:28 PM »
Every other weekday, I back up my tablet PC to a Seagate 500 GB external USB drive.  The tablet goes with me whenever I am out of my office and the external drive stays at my office.  The external drive was pretty affordable -- $200 for 500 GB.

My office is pretty secure (fire suppression, security system), so I haven't felt the need to store data off-site.  However, I could be naive about the need to do so.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 06:25:30 PM »
Gunsmith: the most critical stuff most people own is their EMail archives and their word processing documents.  Some people are into spreadsheets, etc.  Any document you've spent time working on matters.

Browser bookmarks are important for some folk.

Then there's "lesser stuff" - games that could be reloaded but you'd lose all your saves, cool videos you've downloaded, stuff you don't WANT to lose but it wouldn't kill ya.

A "whole disk backup" like via the method I pointed to is the safest.

A related point: in Windows, every file has an "extension" (last (usually) three letters at the end after a period) that tells Windows what type of file it is.  For example, the code for MS-Word documents is .DOC, Excel spreadsheets is .XLS, and so on.  Every type of data file has a code.  If you rename a file from something.doc to something.xls and then double-click it, Windows will try and stuff the file into the Excel spreadsheet where it will choke and gag (you'll get an error basically adding up to "Excel doesn't know what the hell to do with this alien weirdcrap you're feeding me").  Windows also matches the data file icon to a program if that program is available, so anything named .DOC usually gets the icon for MS-Word if that's available or if you're using a free clone of word, it will be Abiword or OpenOffice.

Windows XP has this STUPID "feature" where by default, it hides this "extension" from view.  Open up "my computer", open a hard disk icon, then in the menus (under "view" I think) there's a series of settings for "view options".  Find that, UNcheck the box that says "hide file extensions of known type".  EVERYBODY, for the love of God go do that.  Yes, right now.

The system will then show you what the file types are for your document files.  You can then use the Windows "search for files" function to look for those extensions (search for "*.extentioncode" without quotes) so you can see where your critical stuff is - what folders they're in.  Most people have no clue where their stuff actually resides.

Once you KNOW, you can figure out how big the stuff is in total and where to grab it from.

If it's smaller than 700 megs, congrats, it will fit on a CD-R disk.  Back it up  by burning it to CD.  If it's 4.7gig or less, it will fit on a DVD-R.  So do that.

If it's like mine, up around 25gigs, bite the bullet and go buy an external USB hard drive, as big as you can afford.  Back it up to that, like I do, either by hand-copying stuff (now that you know where YOUR stuff is), using a backup utility such as what the better USB hard disks by Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital or others ship with, or by using the Gparted-Clonezilla disk I mentioned. 

With the latter, you download a "disk image" file of about 150megs, file extension is .ISO, and you turn that into a complete CD boot disk.  If you have any commercial CD burning software, it will know what to do with an .ISO file and will prompt you for a blank CD.  If that doesn't work, free ISO reader/burner programs are available, drop me email at 1.jim.march@gmail.com and I'll go find one for you at tucows.com or similar.

Once you have the burned disk image, you tell your computer to try and boot first off CD (or DVD), second off hard disk if that's not available.  You then put the GParted-Clonezilla disk in, do a normal restart and it boots a simple, specialized Linux install that is only useful for backing up data (even a Windows disk) or fixing Linux disks.  It's a breeze to use.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »
I cheat.  I just bought a standalone disk cloner for a business I am starting.  A handy little gizmo.  I'll just periodically clone the drives on all my computers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RJMcElwain

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 06:09:44 PM »
I back up four computers, daily, using Retrospect. Thank God, I've got a son-in-law that makes it all run automatically. All I have to do is rotate the back-ups once a week.

Bob
Robert J. McElwain
Practical Libertarian

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 05:12:21 AM »
BTW, years ago, when being interviewed by some tech publication, Linus Torvalds (creator of the Linux kernel) was asked about his backup strategy.  His response: "I upload to FTP and let the rest of the world mirror it." Cheesy

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 05:43:54 AM »
Once per week or thereabouts I tar up the contents of /home to an file on an external usb hard disk.  If I need to I can reinstall Linux from scratch and be back up in 3 hours or so.

I don't like tape.  It tends to fail way too often, it's expensive and compatibility over time is very limited.  CDs and DVDs just don't have the capacity anymore.

Another USB external HD user.  Cost about $100.   Soon I'm also going to use a battery backup, although we seem to rarely get power bumps here (so far). 
I backup usually once a week, just the important data like financial records, business files, and pictures.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 01:43:35 PM »
I keep all of the stuff I don't have discs for in a folder called stuff.  (I've also redirected windows to put my favorites and desktop into a subfolder in it)  I have a second hard drive thats my  backup and I have a batch file that I run every week or so that copies everything in my folder to the other hard drive.  Faster than an external usb, and easy to navigate in case I have an accident and delete something I didnt mean to.

However, I am considering getting norton ghost and setting it so I store an image file on the second hard drive (maybe a third?) so that I don't have to reinstall anything.

mike

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 07:33:54 AM »
Norton Save and restore to an external USB drive. Saved my but more than once. shocked

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2007, 08:20:56 AM »
disk space is cheap.

Ohmigawd... I remember my first hard drive. I was so proud that I'd upgraded from the standard size to that 15 megabyte monster...

Old photos, etc., go on DVDs. Every week or so I copy my main drive to a USB drive.

Does anyone know of a software or USB-based RAID system for XP?

Blog under construction

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2007, 09:01:26 AM »
Bogie, if XP is anything like NT, RAID capability is built in.  I haven't looked though. 

NT would do up to RAID5, but you had to install the OS on a single partition, so the best you could do for the system was RAID1 IIRC.  I used NT's software RAID levels 0, 1, and 5 at various time and even found them useful.  RAID1 under NT saved my bacon on a low-cost Citrix server when the IDE drive failed. 

For backup purposes, it might make sense to put your system on a large HDD, say 100gig (just an example).  Build the system on a 20gig partition, store your data on the remaining 80gig partition, then use NT's (XP) RAID1 to mirror that to separate 80gig drive. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 09:04:59 AM »
I just checked, you can definitely create mirror sets in XP (and striped volumes). 

Chris

Paddy

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »
I simply use the Microsoft backup utility and backup to an external hard drive at regular intervals.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 12:31:30 PM »
gee, whats 'back up' mean?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 05:27:36 PM »
I use the "scatter" technique.  I send multiple backups to different machines, playing the law of averages that not all machines will crash at the same time.   grin

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 01:13:21 PM »
I use the "scatter" technique.  I send multiple backups to different machines, playing the law of averages that not all machines will crash at the same time.   grin

Add a handful of NAS's, and I think that's a network diagram of my office.   grin
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
There's already two NAS units (the Snap Servers) in the system.  There's also another IBM Intellistation file server and a USB portable HD that aren't in the diagram.  I use the USB HD mainly as extra storage for my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"