Author Topic: Smoking cigars?  (Read 3378 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Smoking cigars?
« on: April 05, 2007, 03:55:27 AM »
or yes, I broke down this time and tapped wmenor's stash.   shocked   

So, for the first time ever I'm smoking a fairly decent cigar, "Quorum" hand made in Nicaragua, with "plume". I just learned about plume. All I can say is, not bad! But, not being an afficianado, I have to wonder if I'm doing it right. What IS the "proper" way to smoke a good cigar? I know you dont inhale but what DO you do? Just puff it into your mouth and blow it out?

Anyhoo, the rest are going to be packed up shortly, there is one more of these and some Dominicans with plume I'm putting in a smaller bag for you wm. Make sure you smoke that Quorum yourself! I'd probably try one of the Dominicans too if I was you.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Smoking cigars?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 04:41:55 AM »
Thanks for the info 280.  I have heard of Quorum's but never have tried one. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 04:47:02 AM »
Not a problem, I'm not so sure about all this plume stuff, maybe you'll know more when you see it. It looks like it was on the outside of the wrapper. I wiped it off. Maybe I was bad? Either way, dang good cigar...  They're all boxed and ready to go. They'll be in the mail by the end of the day. grin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:06:30 AM »
If I am thinking correctly it is a type of mold.  It is not harmful and easily wipes off.  But some people actually think that it can enhance the flavor of a cigar.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 06:16:03 AM »
I agree with wmenorr67 about the mold thing.

You are "supposed" to dump them.

That said, I scrape it off and smoke them.
One day at a time.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:42:55 AM »
Okie dokie, cause that's exactly what i thought it was, mold. But, on these anyways, it was outside on the plastic wrapper. He did say plume was supposed to be a good thing. The cigar didn't seem to suffer.  grin

mfree

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 08:51:19 AM »
http://cigars.about.com/od/glossary/g/plume.htm

Plume is dried essential oils.

Mold is mold.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:15:08 AM »
Hmmm, tough call. It was whitish but on the outside of the wrapper and I did detect a moldy smell. I wiped off the outside of the wrapper of the one I sent. The cigar itself was fine though, no moldy flavor. They are in the mail now BTW. Happy smokin'! 

So I went in there today and told him, "Sell me a cigar, with plume." So now I have an 18 yo Cusano Maduro to try.  grin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:08:21 PM »
Mold makes the wrapper look fugly.  Plume wipes off without any visible effect on the cigar.  After you dusted it off, did your cigar look like it came from a leper colony?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
No, looked pretty normal. It wasn't on the ceegar it was on the plastic wrapper. I looked them up, quorum ain't but about a $2 cigar. Still an interesting smoke though.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 02:16:23 PM »
Plume is good stuff.  It shows the cigar is aging nicely and is kept under proper conditions.  The thought of removing plume from an Arturo Fuente or Onyx Reserve makes me want to weep over such cruelty.   grin  Plume is a good thang.

Go here http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Home/ and search for "plume".

Here is another source of cigar smarts  http://jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigar_university
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 03:56:27 PM »
here's the answer...

In either case, cellophane is a porous material and allows cigars to maintain their humidity even if the opening of the cellophane is sealed.
That's what I wanted to know because I couldn't understand why the plume would be on the outside of the cellophane wrapper and not on the cigar. So, given the rest of the info, it was whitish not blue or green and not fuzzy so I have to assume it was in fact plume. Enjoy your smoke wm!  grin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »
What it isn't here yet.   laugh  If it went out today/yesterday for me, it should be here prior to me heading home on leave the first part of May.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 01:50:02 AM »
Yea, it's been taking less than a week so you should be fine.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:53:02 AM »
Got them today, the 10th.  Haven't had them in my hands but just about an hour and I already smoked the Quorum.  It was a good mild smoke.  With the supply I have here I will probably take a few home and stick in the humidor there.  Plus I need to probably start sharing a little more than I have been. grin

Once again thank you 280 and I should be good for a couple of months.  Found out yesterday that I get to leave here on the 7th of May to start home.  That should put me there on the 9th or 10th and then I get 2 weeks, yeah.  Will be right at the half way point upon my return to Iraq.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »
Very good, enjoy your leave! Give me a yell when you start to dwindle.  grin

They went out the 5th btw. 5 days to Iraq, that ain't bad!

Paddy

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 09:05:44 AM »
I'd strongly reconsider cigar smoking.  Cancer, especially oral cancer, is a club you don't want to join.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »
Is it really that bad for you to smoke an occasional cigar? It really doesn't seem like it would be.

All I ever find for numbers is for cigarette addicts, like 'for people that smoke 2 packs a day versus people that don't smoke at all'
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 11:51:16 AM »
I know if you're constantly chomping on a cigar like my Uncle George did you'll be wishing you hadn't by the time you're around 70 but I can't see an occasional fine cigar being of much harm. That's why I haven't touched the Cusano yet. I want to put some more days between it and the last one. But it's calling my name from over there on the desk, I can hear it...  grin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 12:00:58 PM »
What little research has been done into the medical effects of cigar smoking tend to indicate that the cancer risks increase according to the frequency you smoke (just like with cigarettes).  Smoking less than one cigar per day doesn't measurably increase your risk of cancer.  Smoking several cigars a day WILL increase risk.

"All things in moderation." 

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »
I am a crazy, freak, cigar smoker.  I smoke them in my office, when my daily appointments are over and I am answering e-mails, writing grants, etc.

I average one a day, but it goes in spurts: nothing for a few days and, then, 6 in a two-day weekend...
Zeke

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »
My father died from cancer of the throat and had not smoked a cigarette or cigar in over 30 years.  There are cases of people smoking packs of cigarettes a day for over 40 years and not a sign of cancer.  So a lot of the "medical science" is contridicted.  There is a belief that cancer like a lot of other things can be genetic.
I know the risks of tobbaco and that is why a quit a over a pack a day habit about 8 years ago.  I also at one time use to dip smokeless tobbaco but also gave that up for various reasons.
My wife for the most part doesn't care for me to smoke cigars either but she knows that I only have one on occasions and she knows there are worse things I could be out there doing.