Author Topic: Quake lifts Solomons island out of the sea  (Read 3011 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Quake lifts Solomons island out of the sea
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:06:43 AM »
An I see no way they can blame the Republicans, but they still may try.

Quake lifts Solomons island out of the sea by Neil Sands
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070407/sc_afp/solomonsquakeisland;_ylt=AmWxTgtJeBcLwaF8np6Dex0DW7oF

RANONGGA, Solomon Islands (AFP) - The seismic jolt that unleashed the deadly Solomons tsunami this week lifted an entire island metres out of the sea, destroying some of the world's most pristine coral reefs.

In an instant, the grinding of the Earth's tectonic plates in the 8.0 magnitude earthquake Monday forced the island of Ranongga up three metres (10 foot).

Submerged reefs that once attracted scuba divers from around the globe lie exposed and dying after the quake raised the mountainous landmass, which is 32-kilometres (20-miles) long and 8-kilometres (5-miles) wide.

Corals that used to form an underwater wonderland of iridescent blues, greens and reds now bleach under the sun, transforming into a barren moonscape surrounding the island.

The stench of rotting fish and other marine life stranded on the reefs when the seas receded is overwhelming and the once vibrant coral is dry and crunches underfoot.

Dazed villagers stand on the shoreline, still coming to terms with the cataclysmic shift that changed the geography of their island forever, pushing the shoreline out to sea by up to 70 metres.

Aid agencies have yet to reach Ranongga after the quake and tsunami that killed at least 34 people in the Pacific archipelago but an AFP reporter and photographer on a chartered boat witnessed the destruction first hand.

At Pienuna, on Ranongga's east coast, locals said much of their harbour had disappeared, leaving only a narrow inlet lined by jagged exposed coral reefs either side.

Villager Harison Gago said there were huge earthquake fissures which had almost split the island in half, gesturing with his hands that some of the cracks were 50 centimetres (20 inches) wide.

Further north at Niu Barae, fisherman Hendrik Kegala had just finished exploring the new underwater landscape of the island with a snorkel when contacted by the AFP team.

He said a huge submerged chasm had opened up, running at least 500 metres (550 yards) parallel to the coast.

On the beach at Niu Barae, the earthquake has revealed a sunken vessel that locals believe is a Japanese patrol boat, a remnant of the fierce fighting between Allied forces and the Japanese in WWII.

Kegala said that from the perspective of those on the island, the sea appeared to recede and villagers still feared it would come back again as a tsunami, making them reluctant to return from higher ground where they fled.

"Plenty big noise," he told AFP, describing the disaster in the local pidgin dialect.

"Water go back and not come back again," he added, saying the whooshing sound of the receding water and the shaking from the quake occurred simultaneously.

Danny Kennedy, a dive operator in the provincial capital Gizo, said the earthquake had damaged coral reefs throughout the Solomon Islands' western province.

He said dive sites once ranked among the best in the world were dying because the tremors had upset the fragile natural ecosystem.

"Some of the most beautiful corals are the most delicate and those are the ones that have been affected," he told AFP.

"The more robust corals are still there but it's the ones that people want to photograph, the sea fans and the colourful corals, that are dying."

Kennedy said the damage to the coral reefs could dry up the region's major source of overseas money.

"Diving is huge here, it employs so many local people," he said. "The fear is that people are going to come here and see the reefs are damaged then tell people not to come back for a few years until they recover."

Jackie Thomas, acting manager for Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF) in the Solomons, said the loss of the reefs was a huge blow for the fishing communities that are dotted along Ranongga's coast.

"The fish from the reefs are the major source of protein for the villagers," she told AFP from Gizo.

"They use shells for tools and rely on the sea for many of their basic needs.

"It just shows the incredible force of the earthquake, to move a whole island."

She said the reefs around Ranongga were a protected marine environment and locals had worked hard with WWF in recent years to ensure that they were managed sustainably.

"Now it's another marine environment that has been destroyed," she said.

"Who knows if the coral reefs will recover and the fish will come back? Villagers will have to travel further to find the same sort of food and nutrition they've relied on -- the whole food chain has been disrupted."

Typhoon

• friend
Re: Quake lifts Solomons island out of the sea
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:15:59 AM »
That would be called a FORCE of NATURE, something we puny humans can't come close to affecting.  Something for the greenies to keep in mind (what little they have...).
To the stars!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:27:23 AM »
Are they going to try to ban tectonic shift?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:41:01 AM »
Maybe it was an underwater nuclear test.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 09:57:37 AM »
I know some lefties in Boulder that are blaming the tectonic activity in the Pacific on Global Warming loosening the plates.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:05:54 AM »
Are they going to try to ban tectonic shift?

my understanding is, that the Sierra Club wants tectonic plate shift to be regulated by the EPA.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »
I know some lefties in Boulder that are blaming the tectonic activity in the Pacific on Global Warming loosening the plates.

Please tell me you're kidding, and that the educational system hasn't failed so badly that they never learned that everything under the crust IS VERY HOT?

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 10:58:43 AM »
I most certainly am not kidding! It seems to be more like a religious belief. These folks had college degrees too!

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »
I should add, this came out of discussions at work about the earthquake that caused the tsunami in Thailand, Indonesia and other countries. I was discussing this with a friend and said something like "the liberals are going to blame this on global warming". Overhearing this, a liberal female engineer with a masters degree in computer science storms up and starts demeaning me saying "Most people know this is probably from global warming. Just ask my mom, she is a science teacher...6th grade." She came back later in the day with other liberals for reinforcement, demanding a debate. I was thinking "note to self: don't get on the same design team with any of these."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 01:29:11 PM »
Uhhh,  a Bush Imperial submarine hit a submerged seamount which triggered the earthquake, everyone knows that!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 01:45:34 PM »
Anyone else here suspect that this might have been a terrorist action ...Huh?  shocked

Seriously, the natives probably PO'ed one of their local gods.  Time to throw somebody in the volcano for a sacrifice.  (I nominate Al Gore)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 03:29:47 PM »

Why am I not surprised by this?  As lovely as the scenery is around Boulder (foothills are nice too), as much as I enjoy pint of stout at The Walnut on occasion, as much as I enjoy the diversity of available cuisines, some of those people REALLY have more than a few screws loose.

But hey, its BOULDER!!!  2nd in the nation in consumption of Cannabis sp. (freaking hippy slackers...).
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 03:54:31 PM »
Do those islanders like orange cola? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »
Sindawe, I also enjoy a pint at The Walnut on occasion. I try to drown the guilt of knowing that the fermentation process gives off.....CO2!!!!! Yikes. I drink the first few pints really fast to get to the state of not caring!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »
On the upside we don't have to worry about rising sea levels overwhelming islands, they ratchet up all nice and natural  grin
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

allmons

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 06:32:02 PM »
Tallpine, you made me snort diet pepsi outta my nose! Then, after I cleaned the keyboard, I had to admit, Al Gore would make an excellent sacrifice to Earth gods - he actually believes they exist!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 06:35:54 PM »
Anyone else want to motor out and stick a flag on one? I could use my own country.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »
First they complain that rising ocean levels will drown them.  Then they complain when that scenario is delayed several centuries.

There is no pleasing some people.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 02:39:06 AM »
On the upside we don't have to worry about rising sea levels overwhelming islands, they ratchet up all nice and natural  grin

LMAO!! Cheesy

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 03:02:38 AM »
Tallpine, you made me snort diet pepsi outta my nose! Then, after I cleaned the keyboard, I had to admit, Al Gore would make an excellent sacrifice to Earth gods - he actually believes they exist!

How is that any less quacky than believing in any god?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TexasRifleman

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 05:32:16 AM »
Submerged reefs that once attracted scuba divers from around the globe lie exposed and dying after the quake raised the mountainous landmass, which is 32-kilometres (20-miles) long and 8-kilometres (5-miles) wide.

Watch..  The Left will want to ban Earthquakes because of their environmental impact.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 06:12:25 AM »
Hey - more land!
D. R. ZINN

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 10:44:50 AM »
So much for my explanation to borrowers for why land will retain value...  "they ain't making any more of it".  undecided

Any chance of spinning this into "The gods are angry (hot native girls) because you started wearing clothing?"
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »
Dazed villagers stand on the shoreline, still coming to terms with the cataclysmic shift that changed the geography of their island forever, pushing the shoreline out to sea by up to 70 metres.

In an unrelated story, several real estate agents died outside the local zoning office today after someone shouted "MORTAL KOMBAT."

grin
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 01:59:23 PM »
I'm selling techtonic offsets, and they are darned affordable.  All of you need one to clear your concience.  send $10,000  direct to my paypal, and help me afford a class 3 critter for Buy A Gun day....