Author Topic: Anyone use VOIP for a fax?  (Read 719 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Anyone use VOIP for a fax?
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:56:45 AM »
It's either that, or have a "real" phone put in...

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Anyone use VOIP for a fax?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:07:22 AM »
Yeah.  I've been using Vonage for the last several years.  Faxes were hard to transmit and receive for a long time without errors, until I cleaned up the outbound data stream with one of those little VOIP packet optimizer boxes.   

We're sweating it out here, because Verizon recently won a patent infringement case against Vonage.  There's a temporary stay on appeal, but if Vonage ends up having to pay Verizon all those millions of dollars, and cease and desist with the operations due to the infringement, then we're toast.  I'd like to say we could just switch to Charter VOIP, but who's to say they aren't infringing a Verizon patent, too? 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 02:30:01 PM »
I've been using a fax machine on my Vonage system over broadband cable for several years. Works fine for me.

I'm pretty bothered by the Verizon deal too. My understanding is the judge wanted to throw the book at Vonage with a 'cease and desist', but Verizon's lawyers wanted them (Vonage) to be able to continue service while they iron out the license problems.  I hope it doesn't put Vonage under. I rather like the service.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

TexasRifleman

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 05:40:36 AM »
My understanding is the judge wanted to throw the book at Vonage with a 'cease and desist', but Verizon's lawyers wanted them (Vonage) to be able to continue service while they iron out the license problems.

I called my Senators office on that one.

A Cease and Desist would leave a LOT of people with no way to call 9-1-1.

My Senators office said there was no way that was gonna happen, regardless of the judges antics.

Many many people have Vonage as their only phone service,myself included.

As to the topic, 9600 fax works fiine on Vonage, but I can't get it to work at faster speeds.