Author Topic: Airbrush Suggestions?  (Read 591 times)

HankB

• friend
Airbrush Suggestions?
« on: August 09, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »
I've been looking at getting an airbrush for a while - model making, fixing small parking lot dings on the car, maybe Cerakoting a firearm, that sort of thing. I have a small compressor (6 gal tank) which though noisy when running, ought to be fine for an airbrush, though I'm probably going to need an adapter and filter. From what I've read, I'm sort of inclined to get a double action, internal mix airbrush . . . but beyond that, I'm at sea - Paasche, Iwata, Badger? Siphon or gravity feed? 

Would like to keep the tab under $100, and get something better than Harbor Freight quality. Preferably with seals that won't dissolve if I clean it with common solvents.

Suggestions?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Re: Airbrush Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
I've had a Wren single action for over 50 years.  I started painting t-shirts in the style of Stanley Mouse when I was 16, and had my own booth at the State Fair when I was 17.  Sold a ton of shirts.  When I got back into it about 25 years ago, I bought a Paasche double action.  I would recommend it for the better control.  You can use your large compressor with a regulator, but I recommend watching for one of the small compressors made for airbrushes.  They are available used.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
Try to remove the blemishes, and then even out the skin. Some subjects appreciate it if you adjust the waistline and the bustline.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:35 PM »
double action

single action

So, cocked & locked with a light break, or a smooth, long pull where you have to take up the slack?  ???

My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »
So, cocked & locked with a light break, or a smooth, long pull where you have to take up the slack?  ???

Single action, you get paint and air at the same time.  With double action, pressing down on the trigger gets air, pulling back gives you paint and air.  A LOT more control.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Larry.

What's your opinion on siphon feed (with a small paint bottle on the bottom of the airbrush) vs. gravity feed (with a paint reservoir on top of the airbrush) ?

Right now I'm sort of leaning towards a Paasche VL-series brush (kits are in the $65-$80 range) but I've seen some good comments about Iwata - though they were in the context of some MUCH more expensive airbrushes.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 10:51:33 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Larry.

What's your opinion on siphon feed (with a small paint bottle on the bottom of the airbrush) vs. gravity feed (with a paint reservoir on top of the airbrush) ?

Right now I'm sort of leaning towards a Paasche VL-series brush (kits are in the $65-$80 range) but I've seen some good comments about Iwata - though they were in the context of some MUCH more expensive airbrushes.
Mine are both siphon feed, so I can't compare the two, but both the cheap Binks Wren and the Paasche worked fine.  I think you'll be satisfied with the Paasche.  I was quite good with the single action, and the double action took some adjusting to, but once I got it down, it worked really well.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
The only issues with a normal air compressor are moisture and oil.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 01:46:25 AM »
Years ago I rigged up a short computer tower case and PSU with a 12v air compressor.  A couple feet of 1 1/4" PVC pipe, elbows and end caps made into a U shape, pressure regulator, filter and misc fittings drove a single action siphon fed Badger just fine.  And it was pretty quiet.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 03:32:27 AM »
Get a cheap one. That way if you don't stick with it, you're not out much. I got a Danish dual-action for about $100. Came with a case, hose and 3-4 paint cups.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Get a cheap one. That way if you don't stick with it, you're not out much. I got a Danish dual-action for about $100. Came with a case, hose and 3-4 paint cups.

Sounds like a bad night out in Vegas.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »
Hey don't knock a night in Vegas with a couple chicks and an airbrush, Brad. =D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot