Author Topic: Logo design  (Read 1612 times)

Logo design
« on: July 06, 2005, 06:23:07 PM »
I'm getting one done for my company, now I had budgeted for a few hundred but this one fellow who I talked to on webhostingtalk charges a flat 75 fee for logo design and his process for creating a logo through interaction with the client sounds right. Not that shopping for price was my aim, in fact it seems a tad low. Figure he's working on building his portfolio by not charging a lot, as I saw his specifications to some other designer for a custom website to let him take design applications and automate steps through the process.

http://demo.phiberart.com/logos.jpg

Some of his stuff. I think he could do a good job, my logo would fit in with the style used.

Of course, I'd like to keep options open and we don't have a contract yet, also I'm going to get this book on logos and branding that I skimmed at a B&N (excellent excellent http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321348109/qid=1120704478/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_ur_2/103-8207278-9751846?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 ) before I go through with it, because that had a lot of valuable info and insight for me.

Does anyone here know a logo designer or have additional experience / suggestions? I figure I've got the overall concept in my head and just need someone who can take it, change out anything that I had in mind that isn't a good idea (my color choices in concept art are not how it has to be, for example, just my crude idea) and make it look awesome, along with designing it to be suitable for printing on shirts and in black and white for business cards.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Logo design
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 07:18:37 AM »
sounds like at least 300 bucks worth of bartered hosting for the headache to me
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
Logo design
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 05:25:57 PM »
Does anyone here know a logo designer or have additional experience / suggestions?
Yep. I started buying graphic design services in the early 1980s, went to design school in the late 1980s, and have been designing this, that, and a few dozen other things since then.

You don't usually get much graphic design for $75. That said", if I recall correctly, the Nike swoosh was concocted by a design student for the grand sum of $100 or $150. Sometimes you get lucky.

If you have a reasonably well developed idea, start calling local printing and publishing firms. Lots of them do "graphic design," and many have "graphic designers" who'll be glad to work with you, either on company time or on a freelance basis.

That's not a good way to end up with a truly excellent design; then again, clarity is much more effective in the marketplace than excellence. Plain old-fashioned legibility is well over half the battle. Keep it simple. Keep it straightforward. Keep it clean. It'll most probably be okay.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Justin

• friend
Logo design
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 07:10:26 PM »
I firmly believe that the mark of a well-designed logo is one that could easily be tagged on an alley wall with a can of Krylon in under ten seconds flat.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Logo design
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 03:57:01 PM »
I firmly believe that the mark of a well-designed logo is one that could easily be tagged on an alley wall with a can of Krylon in under ten seconds flat.
[WINK] We should compare hourly rates some time. [/WINK]
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Justin

• friend
Logo design
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 01:43:25 PM »
Heh.  Note that the ability to quickly reproduce a logo anywhere has nothing to do with the amount of time or thought that goes into the initial design.

And I'd rather not compare hourly rates.  It would make me cry.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Logo design
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 04:28:16 PM »
my Typography instructor could make most students cry
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"