Author Topic: The Stupidest Thing You Did in Your Childhood Thread  (Read 8768 times)

natedog

• friend
The Stupidest Thing You Did in Your Childhood Thread
« on: September 20, 2005, 06:32:28 PM »
What is the stupidest, most dangerous, irresponsible thing you ever did in your childhood/young adulthood?

I think I'll hold off on providing my own story till I'm 18...something better might come up Wink .

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 06:42:40 PM »
I hopped on my bicycle and went chasing after a tornado one afternoon when I was eleven or twelve. I didn't manage to catch the tornado, but did catch hell when I finally got home.

I just wanted to see it.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 06:49:08 PM »
Started smoking.

Totally self created misery now that I'm quit.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 07:16:22 PM »
Became a CS major (Covers stupid)

Hit 3 digit speeds in both cars and snowmobiles, or managing to get the fishing boat completely out of the water in big waves out on the lake (irresponsible)

Sledding down the parking lot hill, volunteering to get dragged behing a pickup on an old mattress, mountain biking the hard trails the first time out (dangerous, and painful)
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »
Friend and I decided to try making an ANFO bomb.

We dropped it into a hole we dug with a post hole digger, and proceeded to blow a 6 foot wide crater in their back pasture.

His father was PISSED.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 09:41:07 PM »
While trying to kill wasps, with a spray can and lighter, I almost burned down the house.  There may have been stupider, my blissfully, I seem to have blocked it.

It did cure me of my pyromania, however.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 09:42:26 PM »
NOW YOU DID IT!!  I JUST REMEMBERED ANOTHER ONE!!!

I'm surashell not telling you that one, however.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 09:49:38 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Friend and I decided to try making an ANFO bomb.

We dropped it into a hole we dug with a post hole digger, and proceeded to blow a 6 foot wide crater in their back pasture.

His father was PISSED.
We did the same thing, sort of.  

We're city folk, so we didn't have a pasure.  But my friend had an old cistern behind his house, about 8 feet from the back door.  It was lined with concrete and had a big, heavy, steel cover (think manhole cover on steroids).  We figured that was a safe place to contain the blast.

Heh, we were wrong.  We finally found the cover in the neighbors yard, across the street.  The concrete cistern walls had crumbled and collapsed.  The foundation of the house was even a wee little bit cracked.

We filled in the cistern with old construction debris and dirt, then put the cover back on.  We sealed the cover in place with a bit of wet concrete, because he was afraid his parents would open it and wonder why it was filled in.  They never noticed the crack in the basement wall, thankfully.

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 10:45:08 PM »
Cut-off date for the term "Childhood" is...? ;P

Story goes at 9 months I was walking, by age 9.5 months I had already developed the ability to not only run, but to  end up in the darndest places.

About a year old or so and Mom and I are on the train to Houston. Mom fell asleep, I wondered back to the Caboose. Not sure how I got thru all them cars, but I must have figured out something. There is something about the way a Conductor asks " Ma'am is this your kid?". Seems Mom has been asked that a lot over the years...

About age 3 Story goes Grandma and Mom were hanging out clothes, I again decided to check out the neighborhood. About 4 blocks away is a real busy 4 lane. I saw a cute puppy across that road, and I had seen the Safety Patrol at the school just hold up a hand to signal "Stop".  So I wander out in the road and hold my little hand to signal Stop. 18 wheelers hitting air brakes, cars just a honking, tires squealing...Somebody called my Mom and Grandma - "It that your kid..."  I didn't get to play with the puppy very long...

3 is also when I decided to wonder off in the bank. I wanted to check out the cool looking vault. There I was behind the locked gate [ I pulled it to, like I was taught to do with gates] just having a good time using the pencils and deposits slips drawing. I see the bank guard on the other side of locked gate pointing at me " Ma'am is that your kid?"  Mom was not impressed with the picture I drew for her for some reason...

Mom washed my pet horney toad. I could have told her horney toads could not swim, I had already checked this with my first pet toad during the rinse cyle one day. I manged to get that one out of the washer before she came back from the clothes line...why do moms have always be washing jeans when they finally get all comfy and all?

About 4 I noticed the cloth covered cord for the lamp was not fully plugged in. I had to go under the lamp table to fix this. ZAP! Well I banged my head, don't remember the lamp crashing, the Goldfish bowl crashing either. There I was amidst flopping fish, wet floor, broken glass when mom returned from getting the paper off the front lawn. I got the lamp plugged in tho'.

I later found the cloth electrical  tape and proceeded to fix that cord but good...I learned early to unplug cords before working on electrical stuff...also learned not to use Grandma's good scissors to do electrical work either.

[ it is amazing the hedges survived all those years, I wish I had a nickel for every switch taken off them things. I hate hedges to this day...]

About 5 I wondered off at the State Fair, I wanted to pet the Bull. Do you realize how freaked out folks get to see a kid , who somehow gets into Bull Pen, standing there offering a bull cotton candy and petting his nose?

I wondered off again that night during the Show. I found lots of money under the bleachers. Cop ask my mom " Ma'am, this your kid?

About 6 I found out my bed was not a trampoline ( forget the fact  Mom had told me this a million times...) I got 13 stitches in my head when the headboard hit  my noggin...I mangaged to take a chunk of the wood out too.

About 7 I was at my Uncle's, it had rained for a few days before, he wanted to burn stuff in the burn bbl. Well he was concerned about the fire getting lit, maybe 2 gallons of Gas was a bit much. He tossed that match and WOOF! After he gave me that look...he busted out laughing.

For some reason his daughters ( my cousins) did not find the bugs I put in the almost empty jar of Peanut Butter as being funny. Got downright mad about me putting honey on the toliet seat too...

Again about 7 - I'd go down to the train tracks and visit with the Hobos. We would make Hobo Stew. I would take a can of something from the cabinet to toss in. Mom would get mad and come down and find me...
One day I had heard all the Hobo stories, I hopped a train and went for a ride. Hopped off, Hopped another one coming back. Really cool. Mom was looking for me everywhere, had called all the neighbors. I told her I went for a train ride, she to this day does not belive me. She thinks I went down the sewer - again - and wandered  thru the sewer pipes to chase rats and shoot them with my slingshot...something else I used to do...

If she only knew how many more times I would hop a train...

Mean old Drunk in the Housing Projects was the recipient of many of my ...err...he deserved it. I was really good with a Slingshot. I must have been 10 when I shot and broke that Fifth of Old Crow out of his hand...tough shot too...he was swaying pretty good on the porch steps when I took that shot...

Cars back then did not require a ignition key, just left in the "on" postion. I moved his old Ford so many nights after he came in knee walking drunk -  next day  , all hung over ,  he would  wander about trying to find his Ford.

I then learned to glue BB's in the valve caps, this lets the air out. He would air them back up - only to have them leak down again. See the BB depresses the valve when screwed back on.  Real Puzzling, had the tires checked at the fillin' station, nothing wrong with the tires.  I would watch them dunk his tires one by one into water...no bubbles.  I finally told the guys at the station what I was doing. I mean they were my source for ball bearings for my slingshot...They were soooo proud of me.

I have used that little trick often thru the years...

I nailed his doors shut one night after he went in Drunk. HOT summer night, I then pulled the switch to cut off his electricity...

In HS , well, the phones back them were hardwired. So to make sure we didn't have to take a certain test, I glued the phone reciever down in the English Dept office. I went across the street at the fillin' station and dialed the number, and let it ring...
I had alread switched the locks on two English Class doors during lunch.  Funny, we could not get into our class nor could the other class...door locks were not unlocking...all the while that phone keep ringing.  I told the cool maint guy what I had done, he thought it was a great stunt. English teachers  put off the test for the following Monday...

Funny how pine trees grow up in front and back of Karman Ghias in a matter of hours  so a teacher cannot leave the School...that seem to happen often...

I didn't know it was illegal to fly under bridges in a crop duster...

I do know what is is like to crash land a Crop Duster - Twice this happened. BTW - do you realize how many snakes are in a rice paddy? Do you realize how it is to walk out of rice paddy?

Dirt Bikes do not float...I found the River tho'....

Ford trucks roll better than Malibus, and using a Toyota Celia to take down trees while rolling down a mountain is not recommended. Beats a head-on collision...

Not a good idea to drop Cyanide in the sink after using Nitric acid...you get this really funky brown cloud. All you can do is hit the exhaust fan and run like hell...

Elevators that drop 2 floors before the brakes catch will get your heart rate up...

Bulls get pissed if you hit golf balls into their pasture. TIP : make sure the gate is closed before 7 iron practice...

About 6 months ago I used the BB in the valve cap trick again. See the lady was gonna leave the abusive situation, the BG BF would get high and that is when she was gonna leave. To make sure he couldn't follow her, his tires would be pretty much flat by my timing...

She left, he never woke up, but his tires were in need of  air so I am told when he did try to leave....

I'm 50 - so I ask again when does Childhood end? ;P

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 12:03:43 AM »
Threw away a diamond rind I found laying on the sidewalk, I refused to believe I could be so lucky even through I tested it by cutting glass.  Playing war with BB guns, smoking while filling up a gas tank, turning down sex with a pretty co-ed who climbed in through my college dorm window, and other things I'm still too stupid to recognize as stupid acts.
Career Corrections

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 12:41:35 AM »
turning down sex with a pretty co-ed who climbed in through my college dorm window
[Napolean Dynamite Voice]
Idiot.
[/Napolean Dynamite Voice]

Hmmm....

Once shot a flaming arrow into the back siding of a neighbors house because I hated the kid that lived there...boy was dad pissed.

Friend and I tried (well, succeeded really) to play Jake and Elroy and jump his '70something LTD over the steepest railroad crossing I have EVER seen.

Set a field on fire next to our house.....twice.....in the same summer...I had an issue with fire.

Got 'detained' by the popo for climbing around on top of the middle school at 2:00 AM.  Dad pissed again.

There's a bunch more but I must digress...

Greg

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 01:21:59 AM »
The one that sticks in my mind is not as stupid as some of the other things I've done but...

My friend had just broken his brand new crash cymbal Zildgan (sp) he had just paid like $300 . We were at the rehearsal studio in the old industrial complex late at night. I had some M80s. Wink We took the cymbal out into the back area which was surrounded by 3 story buildings and put an M80 on the ground wick up and put the cymbal over the M80 with the fuse sticking out the hole, lit the fuse and ran like hell. That cymbal went PERFECTLY STRAIGHT UP just like a flying saucer taking off and it CLEARED the top of the buildings by a good 15 - 20 feet!! It then came down in a flutter kind of a pattern and CRASHED on the asphalt. One of us said , "That was COOL, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!!" From out of nowhere we hear "YOU BETTER NOT OR I"LL CALL THE COPS!!" Never did see who it was or where they were.

LMAO even now...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

esheato

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 02:29:55 AM »
Hmm..nothing too horrible.

Lit a sewer on fire after I slipped a Sunday ediiton paper down it.  
Exploring all the local sewers.
Placed a large firecracker (M-1000? M-100? Something like that) in a large blue mailbox...cops showed up and I nearly got busted for interfering with the mail.
Caught stealing more times than I care to remember....The nice policemen always took me home.   :?

I really turned into an idiot when I got my first car, but we won't go into that...

Ed

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 03:06:58 AM »
Some of many but the least likely to make you guy's think I'm the anti christ. Nothing compared to SM's list. His Sig line should read "Use enough gun.... to deter all those you may have annoyed over the years".

Sir, I salute your creativity and am deeply jealous.

Age 6 and addicted to books. For some reason thought WHSmith's (big chain bookstore) was like the library but without all that silly book stamping nonsense. Got rumbled when shop assistant saw me pulling four or five books out of my school bag and putting them back on the shelf. Nice lady, gave me a lollipop and a swift lesson in capitalism.

Age ten or eleven in a tent with a friends "curious" teenage sister. Due to a heady mix of confusion and terror I missed out on what would have been an interesting lesson. Mistake corrected with the accomodating young lady seven years later.

Age thirteen "borrowed" an "educational" video from a friends older brother. I was staying with granny and he turned up on the doorstep an hour later and explained the situation to my gran. Cue 70 year old lady picking up miscreant child by scruff of neck and spanking him in the street for stealing. Still wince with embarrasment now.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 03:24:37 AM »
Exploring all the local sewers.
Man does that bring back some memories.  We had almost every storm sewer mapped out in my neighborhood.  Problem was that they were not big enough to stand up in so we had to traverse on hands and knees.  Good for sneaking from block to block.

Greg

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 03:29:57 AM »
About 5 I wondered off at the State Fair, I wanted to pet the Bull. Do you realize how freaked out folks get to see a kid , who somehow gets into Bull Pen, standing there offering a bull cotton candy and petting his nose?
LMAOROTFLPIMP

Greg

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 04:26:34 AM »
Went to college.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 04:27:08 AM »
Waaaaaal,  There are 17 posts ahead of this one that pretty much sums it up for me.

sm is my evil twin!  cheesy

PS--sm, that smiley is colonP not semicolonP  heh heh heh.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 04:37:30 AM »
After reading sm's post I have a lot of catching up to do.  Can I do it in 12 years?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 04:47:47 AM »
There was a creek near the house I grew up in.  It ran through a 30-inch concrete storm drain pipe (probably about 40 feet long) when it had to go under the road.  My friends and I decided it would be beyond cool to see the water in the tunnel on fire.  

It happened that my father kept a gas can in the garage for filling the lawn mower[0], so we appropriated about three quarters of a coffee-can full.  We figured that'd be enough.  I (as the generous provider of the fuel) was given the honor of doing the pouring and the lighting.  So I poured the gas very carefully onto the surface of the creek, slowly enough that it would have time to crawl through the tunnel.

The plan was, once I could see the soap-bubble discoloration on the surface of the water as it reached the other end of the tunnel, I was to toss a lit match onto the water's surface.

I didn't really give much thought to the fact that the creek flowed rather slowly, and therefore the gas in the tunnel had quite a bit of time to be doing nefarious things like evaporating and mixing with the air in the tunnel and forming, in effect, a 200-cubic-foot FAE bomb.

Apparently some bit way back down in basest part of my mind had thought about it, though.  So instead of standing in front of the tunnel so I could see the fire, I stood to the side when I tossed the match.

>whump<

The hardest part of the whole thing was explaining to my mom what had happened to my shoes.  And pants.  And shirt.  And eyebrows.  It's difficult to look innocent and angelic with no eyebrows.

There was a scorched area on the ground extending about 20 feet out of either end of the tunnel.  I was lucky.

-BP

• With the amount of gas I snaffled for my juvenile entertainments, I imagine he probably thought there was something wrong with the mower.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 04:58:38 AM »
Hrmm.... Where to start. Let's start with all the vehicular stupidity.

Took a Lincoln with 260,000 miles on it up to roughly 130mph. Started to want to fly at about that speed, I've never felt a car wobble UP and settle down before.
Drove from Cinci to Knoxville TN in 2 1/2 hours one trip in an '84 Tbird.... which had around 150K on it at the time.
Accidentally set my car on fire after fixing it because I wanted to set the timing before connecting the exhaust collector back on, and a backfire set off a fuel leak I hadn't noticed. Said car's engine was drenched in oil (was a rush repair), was in the garage full of paint, thinner, and other volatiles, and the fire extinguisher was buried in the trunk of another car that I didn't have the keys handy for.
Rode a half-done "go-cart" (it was HUGE, lawnmower frame extended with box rail and angle iron) down a big hill, no brakes, no SEAT, and a big whirring chain sprocket on the differential just waiting to perforate me...

Others:
Played in the neighbor's (junk)yard all the time, full of rusty metal and broken glass.
As an insomniac child, I burnt small things in my bedroom at night, right up until the night I caught a cologne-soaked tissue on fire and dropped it on the nylon carpet. Spent about 3 hours picking charred bits out of the carpet and smoothing the cut out (shag carpet) till it just looked like a flat spot. Actually, playing with fire indoors at all is the stupid part...
Took an intentional header off the top of a 10' tall swingset and landed flat on my back.
Spit in my hands and stuck 'em to a frozen chain-link fence pole.
Shot BBs at a standing plastic drain pipe, several times, even *after* being hit fairly hard a few times.
Rambled through some rocky areas in the woods without paying attention *or* listening to the parents who *repeatedly* told us it's copperhead season and they've already killed two of them in *the back yard*....

Dumbest thing of all:
college credit cards. Enoguh said. Still paying for that one...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 05:13:53 AM »
I am scared to write anything on here in fear my parents might see it. I did a few of things SM did and somethings totally different too.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 05:25:30 AM »
I could write a long, rambling confession like SM, or I could just say that every time we moved, my parents made sure they knew where the local emergency room was located.  

Yes, I have lots of scars...

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 06:04:19 AM »
Jumping off a pier so we wouldn't have to paddle out to bodyboard.....even though we could see sharks.

Using a sawed off .410 SxS to destroy mailboxes

Homeade Pipe bombs for blowing up anthills (that was actually with the help of my buddies Dad...we were 14).

Riding out a hurricane on the Outer Banks.

Hopping moving trains

My Younger brother was worse.  He helped in all the above activites, and He:
Ran from the police in an '81 Corrolla.....
Stole a Backhoe
played with poisionous snakes
Blew his toe off with an antique 16ga
Smoked weed
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 06:22:30 AM »
When I was about 6 years old, I watched a Moutain Dew commercial where some teenagers were having fun by getting in a large tire and rolling down a hill.  

I didn't have a tire and I didn't have a suitable hill.  What I did have was a round laundry basket and the basement stairs.

I stuffed myself into the laundry basket and launched myself off the top step.  I think I had maybe 1 revolution before I bounced out of the basket and tumbled the rest of the way down the stairs landing in a crumpled heap at the bottom.

Although I wound up with a wicked rug burn from the candy stripe shag carpeting that covered the concrete basement floor, I never told my parents what happened because I was so embarassed that it didn't work like it did on tv and I knew I'd get in trouble.  

Isn't amazing that we all survived to adulthood? Cheesy