Author Topic: Hurricane question  (Read 2127 times)

Paddy

Hurricane question
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:01:11 PM »
Do hurricanes rotate counterclockwise south of the equator also?

Azrael256

• friend
Hurricane question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 02:43:57 PM »
Nope.  Coriolis effect and all.  Read about it Here

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Hurricane question
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 03:03:07 PM »
The REAL question is : If you are on a ship and flush the toilet as it crosses the equator, will the water come to a stop and start spinning the other way?

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Azrael256

• friend
Hurricane question
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 05:04:03 PM »
Ok, so you've got a toilet in free-fall... rolleyes

MaterDei

• friend
Hurricane question
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 03:53:19 AM »
I don't think that Coriolis has much effect on which direction water spins as it drains, does it?  There is such a very small amount of water mass in a toilet bowl I don't think Coriolis has much effect.  More likely how the toilet was made.

Paddy

Hurricane question
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 05:35:36 AM »
Thanks. Wikipedia is a great resource and I keep forgetting about it.

mhdishere

• friend
Hurricane question
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 06:30:48 AM »
And what's the best cartridge for shooting a toilet at the equator in a hurricane?

Azrael256

• friend
Hurricane question
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:33:16 AM »
I don't think that Coriolis has much effect on which direction water spins as it drains
If you had an absolutely perfect toilet with an exactly circular bowl, no surface imperfections whatsoever, and a flush valve that distributed water into the bowl evenly forming no eddies, no ground vibration whatsoever, the moon was in proper alignment, and plenty of chicken blood for the sacrifice, you *might* see the coriolis effect in action.  Aside from that, no, it has no noticeable effect on the way your plumbing drains.

And the proper cartridge would have to be something good and hefty.  I'm thinking .45-70.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Hurricane question
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 11:01:47 AM »
Nope, toilet is too small a mass of water to be affected by crossing the equator. it will spin whichever way the toilet design causes it to do so. BUT when involved in crossing the equator ceremonies aboard ship the uninitiated Wogs were sometimes put on "flush watch(IIRC)" and had to continually flush the toilet and watch for the water to start spinning in the opposite direction, indicating that we had just in fact crossed the equator. LOL...the things you'll do after a few weeks at sea! rolleyes

500 S&W Magnum...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
Hurricane question
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 03:06:40 PM »
fill a wash-basin.  Open the drain.  At some point the direction of rotation will become visible.  It will always rotate in that direction.  In the southern hemisphere, it's the opposite.  Coriolis force.

Same reason that hurricanes in the southern hemisphere rotate clockwise--coriolis force.

You can also take a look at the maps of prevailing winds in the hemispheres.  "Trade winds" and such.  They make loops, flattened circles, between the oceans' shores.  The directions of the winds around the loops are opposite for the hemispheres.  At the Equator there are the "doldrums" where the wind hardly blows at all.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

MaterDei

• friend
Hurricane question
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 03:23:02 PM »
I'll do some research for you all.  The eye of Rita will pass over my house some time tomorrow.  I'll let you know which direction it is rotating.  Smiley

Art Eatman

• friend
Hurricane question
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 05:50:00 AM »
Counterclockwise, MaterDei.  "CCW", for short.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.