Author Topic: Thousands of Ga. voters told to prove citizenship  (Read 1893 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Thousands of Ga. voters told to prove citizenship
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »
Now they need to make the voters show an ID before they vote.  I wis CA would start making the voters prove they are citizens before they can vote.

Thousands of Ga. voters told to prove citizenship
By The Associated Press
 http://www.accessnorthgeorgia.com/detail.php?n=230771

ATLANTA - The Georgia secretary of state's office mailed out letters to more than 4,200 voters - including 81 in Hall County - telling them they must prove their citizenship for their ballots to count.

A three-judge federal panel ruled last month that Georgia can to continue asking prospective voters who have been flagged as possibly ineligible to prove their citizenship. A voting rights group has asked that the state be blocked from using the system.

The secretary of state's office says 671 letters were delivered in Gwinnett County. Elsewhere in the immediate Gainesville area, 14 people in Habersham County were sent letters; 47 in Barrow; three in Banks; eight in Dawson; seven each in White and Lumpkin; 117 in Forsyth County; and, 16 in Jackson.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Thousands of Ga. voters told to prove citizenship
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:16:05 AM »
I always thought it was pretty convoluted thinking to say that it was a violation of someone's voting rights to ask for ID to vote or prove who they were to register.  It seems to me that it is a violation of my voting rights to allow ineligible voters to vote in my precinct without challenge.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:27:11 AM »
Despite numerous cases every election year of voter fraud, the Democrats in Wisconsin have blocked a voter ID law that over 80% of the public supports. ACORN came in during the last couple of elections and registered felons, people at non-existent addresses, multiple registrants, etc. We also had paid registrars offering cigarettes to the homeless to get them to vote.

The claim is that the poor and elderly can't afford to get an ID. When the Republicans offered to make the state ID free, the Dem's shot that down.

There's only one reason to oppose voter ID laws, and there's only one party that benefits from fraud. I don't think that the "voting rights group" mentioned in the article is associated with Republicans.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
There's only one reason to oppose voter ID laws, and there's only one party that benefits from fraud.

I take it you're in favor of a national ID?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
What does a national ID have to do with it?

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »
Here in Utah, we now have to show ID to vote. I don't know why they didn't do this years ago. Seems like basic common sense.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »

No need for national ID.

Just a Driver's License, passport or state-issued ID card on one hand.  Or birth certificate, social security card, some form of private picture ID (work ID badge, student ID card, Visa with your pic on it, library card, whatever) and a couple of bills/statements that show you as a resident.

As for the homeless?  If they really want to vote, the DMV doesn't verify addresses actually exist.  Put down the block address of the bridge you live under or the alley you stay in.  Get a state ID card.  Costs about $5.  I bet lots of states have financial assistance programs for poor folk and ID cards, or Goodwill/SalvationArmy/etc have ways to help homeless folks get documented.

Frankly, I'm OK with "disenfranchising" people from voting who can't even prove who they are, though.  If you don't care enough about yourself to keep some basic documentation ("I exist!  See?"), then how can you possibly care enough to vote about issues?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »

No, I'm just in favor of having to show some proof that you are who you say you are when voting. I don't think showing a phone bill is sufficient, but it is for Democrats in WI. There were an enormous number of fraudulent votes cast in Milwaukee in 2004 and 2006, but the investigations went nowhere.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Heck, I can recite my dad's family all the way back to South Carolina in the late 1700s.   :P

Still can't figure how we got over here from Scotland yet though ... there are lots of "Pines" in Carolina.  ;)  (Probably a prison ship  ;/)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »
Didn't Indiana just go through a USSC case about this.

IIRC, they won.   It's not an infringement to ask to for ID.  (IIRC, again, IN state issued ID's are free, DL's have a nominal cost.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »
Just a Driver's License, passport or state-issued ID card on one hand.  Or birth certificate, social security card, some form of private picture ID (work ID badge, student ID card, Visa with your pic on it, library card, whatever) and a couple of bills/statements that show you as a resident.

I'm hesitant about this.  I'd prefer to require it to be state-issued w/adequate identity controls.

Why?  I can whip out a 'work ID badge' in about ten minutes.  Faster if I actually had the process set up.  Same with student ID, etc...

Of course, I'd also make the ID cards free, as opposed to driver's licenses(which would also be an ID card).