Author Topic: Gates Fires JSF Program Manager  (Read 1188 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Gates Fires JSF Program Manager
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »
This very afternoon. Methinks a certain Marine's market value just took a hit.
http://washingtonindependent.com/75394/gates-fires-the-head-of-the-f-35-joint-strike-fighter-program

TC
TC
RT Refugee

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Gates Fires JSF Program Manager
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:37:21 PM »
This very afternoon. Methinks a certain Marine's market value just took a hit.
http://washingtonindependent.com/75394/gates-fires-the-head-of-the-f-35-joint-strike-fighter-program

TC

I heard Gates isn't nearly into the "in your face" thing as Rummy, but it seems like he cuts even deeper.  Rummy seemed just happy to snowflake (not the same thing as what police do) and scream at folks. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a good thing, or a bad thing?  I do not follow the intricacies  of this all that well.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
Leatherneck and Rev are just excited because he used to give them wedgies and steal their lunch money. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a good thing, or a bad thing?  I do not follow the intricacies  of this all that well

Its a career ender for the General.  As for the program, not that big of a deal. 

The program itself has been plagued with cost overruns and such.  I never took a liking to the JSF.  Just looks like a maintenance man's nightmare.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a good thing, or a bad thing?  I do not follow the intricacies  of this all that well.

Well...  Neither, per se.  The General's career is toast, and the value of his aftermarket services (ie consulting or whatnot) are significantly lower now.  But it's a relieving a general for cause is very uncommon.  Usually when generals screw up badly, they get a Legion of Merit and some important sounding do-nothing task until they retire.  If they get publicly caught screwing up badly, they resign for the good of the service.  Getting fired instead of a polite fiction of "wanting to spend more time with my family" means the SecDef is trying to send a message.

Leatherneck and Rev are just excited because he used to give them wedgies and steal their lunch money. 

=D

Closest to that happening was Major General Pudlowski attempting to steal my pizza.  "OY!  What the **** do you THINK you are doing!   ....  Uh.  Sir."   

He was wearing PT gear at the time...   Thankfully, he took it with good humor...  and even more thankfully, my nametape was covered up.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:19:24 AM »
^^^^^
What Rev said. Well, the first part anyway. Gates could have left him there to complete the program "replan" that's under way and then allow him to quietly go away this summer as scheduled. This kind of a public crucifixion is rare. General Heinz certainly did not cause the bind the program is in. But he didn't solve it either.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 09:31:27 AM »
Well...  Neither, per se.  The General's career is toast, and the value of his aftermarket services (ie consulting or whatnot) are significantly lower now. 
Or he can retire and write a book about working under the Obama administration.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
Or he can retire and write a book about working under the Obama administration.  >:D

He probably will.  Working as a cabinet member under two successive administrations of different parties is quite rare.