Author Topic: Spam and eggs  (Read 6776 times)

Lee

• friend
Spam and eggs
« on: April 03, 2011, 11:41:10 AM »
Spam for breakfast...yum.  I had a can of spam that had been sitting in the cabinet all winter, so last night, I marinated it in soy sauce,a touch of  Franks hot sauce and raw ginger. Then grilled it, and ate it on a toasted bun with onion. Was pretty good, but Spam is some salty stuff...required a few beers in support.  This morning, I chopped it into chunks and threw it in a pan with two eggs and a couple tablespoons of mango peach salsa, and a dash of black pepper.  I swear it ranks right up there with anything I've ever eaten.  There aren't too any "meats" that absorb flavor and juices like as quickly as Spam. Salty, fruity, porky, eggy ...yum.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:57:53 AM by Lee »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Spam and eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
You ate Sam for breakfast? Who's Sam, your pig?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
I forgot to P.. he's not a pig...he's a pig type product :P

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:55 PM »
That sounds offal.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »
Soy sauce?  Not enough sodium in Spam for you?

Might as well try marinating bacon in liquid pig.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
Why the pun-ishment, 230? :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
Soy sauce?  Not enough sodium in Spam for you?

Better beer retention! :laugh:

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
Finished spam off for lunch.  Was even better than breakfast.  Trying to use up, or throw away, everything in the refrigerator before wife and kids get back. 
Sauteed some red and yellow peppers (along with onion and thin slices of leftover potatoes) in some chili infused oil oil and a little water.  Cooked them down, then added spam, some leftover (Kirkland) chicken chunks (shredded) from Costco, and some fresh cilantro that's been in the fridge for awhile. Took ten minutes - was awesome.   

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
A page right from The Real Man Cookbook.  No hummus, no tofu, no Saute' e' tu' FruFru.  Just canned meatlike products, hot sauce, and imagination.

Ah, it warms the heart and puts fire in the belly.  I hoist a beer to you sir!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »
Grampster inquired:
Why the pun-ishment, 230?

Actually, I love Spam, but it's really much too salty.  I keep three or four of the small cans of it in my food stockpile.  I figure if I have to get into that stockpile (apart from rotating the stock) I really won't have to worry about salt intake.  I realize there's a low-sodium version, but I never tried it.

I sometimes soak it in cold water for a while (just as I do for a lot of high-salt items) to leach out some of the salt.  Like hot dogs and sausage and kielbasa.  I poke a couple of fork holes in them for the soak. The saltiest darned hot dogs I ever had were Hebrew National.  Kind of amusing in a convoluted way, because the kosher laws supposedly guarantee good stuff, but they don't seem to take into account the negative aspect of the high salt content.

I don't think anybody really knows what's in Spam, but I have no doubt that it's a lot of ears and snouts and eyeballs and feet and other GUPs* but I don't care.  It's good.  Like headcheese.  I love that, too.

Protein is protein.

Terry, 230RN

* Ground Up "Parts."

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 05:27:39 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
The 25% less sodium Spam is better than no Spam. I am fond of grilled Spam sandwiches with cheese. Hot sauce, of course goes with nearly anything including macaroni and cheese -- unless I am having that with kimchi.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »
... canned meatlike products

Quite possibly the best definition I've ever seen for Spam.

From the Spam website itself: http://www.spam.com/games/facts/default.aspx

What is SPAM Classic made of?

SPAM Classic is made of just a few simple ingredients. Pork with ham, salt, water, potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite. It's really no mystery at all.

Now you know.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 05:59:13 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »
once again if you're spam has to much salt. you're buying the wrong spam. >:D

now that's the stuff. slice it thin, fry it like bacon, then add some ground chipotle, and/or ancho pepper, and some black pepper, and you've got something good. =)

pepper before frying, gets you burnt pepper. :facepalm:

anybody tried the foil packs? ???

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »
I use the Spam foil packs in the BWCA because canned items are against regulations.

Shells and Cheese with Spam is a favorite meal up there for me and my group.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 02:50:36 AM »
Finished spam off for lunch.  Was even better than breakfast.  Trying to use up, or throw away, everything in the refrigerator before wife and kids get back. 
Sauteed some red and yellow peppers (along with onion and thin slices of leftover potatoes) in some chili infused oil oil and a little water.  Cooked them down, then added spam, some leftover (Kirkland) chicken chunks (shredded) from Costco, and some fresh cilantro that's been in the fridge for awhile. Took ten minutes - was awesome.   

How many cans of Spam did you have? Was this some extra large size can of Spam? 3 meals form a single small can of spam is pretty pathetic.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 06:20:29 AM »
A page right from The Real Man Cookbook.  No hummus, no tofu, no Saute' e' tu' FruFru.  Just canned meatlike products, hot sauce, and imagination.

SPAM is tofu for real men......  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »
I haven't had spam since I was a teen, had some for dinner at a friends house, and before that when I was a kid.  I doubt I could induce SWMBO or the kiddies into eating it.  I know I can't get them to eat ham hocks and beans, so this would be a tough one.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 01:22:33 PM »
Just keep in mind that Spam is the reason that nothing except product comes out of the Hormel plant.

Nothing.

Think about it.   [barf]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:56 PM »
Hmm, on that link to the Spam page, I saw a product unfamiliar to me: Spam spread.  I am going to have to look for that.  I don't recall ever seeing it on the shelves of the local grocery stores.  You would think it would be next to the deviled ham spread and what not. 

If I can't find it, I might just have to whirl some regular Spam up in the food processor to see how it turns out.  I could throw some bacon bits in there as well.....

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »
If I can't find it, I might just have to whirl some regular Spam up in the food processor to see how it turns out.  I could throw some bacon bits in there as well.....

Why go to the trouble of adding bacon when there is...

=D

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »
^^^^ I saw that too on the Spam page.  We seem to have a pretty bare-bones Spam selection out here in Seattle.  I am going to have to start keeping an eye out for more choices. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »
WalMart

Brad
-HankB

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
Just keep in mind that Spam is the reason that nothing except product comes out of the Hormel plant.

Nothing.

Think about it.   [barf]
[barf]

I wonder what the percentage of pig dique is in SPAM

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
anybody tried the foil packs?

It makes a pretty good back packing meal.  I love tuna but the thought of one more package of ramen with tuna in it makes me  [barf]!