Author Topic: SpaceX landed their rocket  (Read 1401 times)

CypherNinja

• friend
SpaceX landed their rocket
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:58:23 PM »
SpaceX finally did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bTbVbe4e4

Launch at 22:48

First stage landing at 32:30

[ar15]

EDIT: Don't trust those times. I just had to change them because they are apparently editing the video.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:32:25 PM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Regolith

• friend
Re: SpaceX landed their rocket
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:41:36 PM »
Awesome.  :cool:

SpaceX finally did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bTbVbe4e4

Launch at 32:10

First stage landing at 41:50

[ar15]

They must have edited the video, because liftoff was right around 23:00 for me and they started showing the landing at around 32:24.

I'm a little surprised they have the crowd right outside the control room (unless that's not mission control....maybe it's the media control room?). All the cheering can't make it easy to do your job.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 02:19:01 AM »
Ho-lee-crap!

I'm stunned at the first stage maneuvering.

Explanation and animation starts about 31:50.

Paraquoted:

"Like launching a pencil over the Empire State building, have it flip over, and land in a shoebox.  Standing up.  On its eraser.  In the wind."

My gast has been truly and well flabbered.

Well done!

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »
How long before the government wants to take it over.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 08:42:59 AM »
So, as more companies get in on this rocket thing, i'm starting to wonder, do ICBM's fall under the second ammendment.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »
So, as more companies get in on this rocket thing, i'm starting to wonder, do ICBM's fall under the second ammendment.

Only with a background check and a permit.  No ICBM-show loophole and no ICCWBM.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:21 AM »

Uranium and any other radiation source falls under hazmat rules over a certain amount.
You'd definitely need a DD tax stamp.
There's unfortunately treaties that also limit the number of nuclear weapons, which could reasonably be argued as constitutional even if it would theoretically be an infringement on your RKBA rights.
It's illegal to detonate under Title 18, Chapter 113B, § 2332a. Not to mention EPA regs, state law, OSHA, etc.

So, yes, if you got the approval of BATFE and NRC, you could legally make a nuke. Which would then be subject to treaty conditions. Then, you'd legally be able to have a nuke but not legally be able to use it. Or want to use it, technically.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 10:28:23 AM »
Only now is Fox News reporting this on their site.

APS often scoops the "news" organizations for important events.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 10:41:29 AM »
No where does it say an ICBM has to be a nuke.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
Getting irritated all the people in comments saying "Hurrr-durrr... But Bezos' rocket did this a few weeks ago!"  :facepalm:
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
Getting irritated all the people in comments saying "Hurrr-durrr... But Bezos' rocket did this a few weeks ago!"  :facepalm:

That's nothing. On another website, someone said this was no big deal because the concept is OLD OLD OLD! The Apollo moon lander did the same thing!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
Awesome.

So all those old science fiction movies I watched on late night TV where the rocket lands upright on its fins is the actual future instead of NASA's Space Shuttle boondoggle thing or deploying chutes to being back only a tiny fraction of the vehicle.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »
I've landed a few of my rockets close to the launch point, too.  Though the outcome wasn't always so good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 07:17:22 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Wernher Von Braun
Once the rockets go up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 11:33:01 PM »

Don't even need explosives, just mass and velocity.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 08:27:25 AM »

True, you could put a load of tungsten at the top.   =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
True, you could put a load of tungsten at the top.   =D

Or dirt. 
Or concrete (actually, likely the best option)
Shape (pointiness more accurately) and L/D are going to matter more for this purpose than density.
Besides, for optimum boomage, density and penetration are bad.

A 1m (approx 2 tons) concrete sphere with a pointy aluminum nose-cone (covered with cork) and tail fins should basically deposit all of its energy in a depth of about its diameter in the ground...so, assuming you can keep it up to 3+ km/s at impact, the effect should be to release the equivalent of 2-3 tons of explosives in about 2-4 tons of material...meaning the resulting impact would look almost identical to replacing a 1m sphere of the ground with a 1m sphere of TNT And setting it off.

The only time tungsten would be better is if you wanted penetration (a tungsten rod should penetrate 5-6 times its length into dirt or concrete), or a "hotter" boom (making a shallow disk with a long non-tungsten nose, to minimize penetration and maximize energy transfer).

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »
So... "Rods from God" should be changed to something like...

"Balls for y'all" ?
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »
Or dirt. 
Or concrete (actually, likely the best option)
Shape (pointiness more accurately) and L/D are going to matter more for this purpose than density.
Besides, for optimum boomage, density and penetration are bad.

A 1m (approx 2 tons) concrete sphere with a pointy aluminum nose-cone (covered with cork) and tail fins should basically deposit all of its energy in a depth of about its diameter in the ground...so, assuming you can keep it up to 3+ km/s at impact, the effect should be to release the equivalent of 2-3 tons of explosives in about 2-4 tons of material...meaning the resulting impact would look almost identical to replacing a 1m sphere of the ground with a 1m sphere of TNT And setting it off.

The only time tungsten would be better is if you wanted penetration (a tungsten rod should penetrate 5-6 times its length into dirt or concrete), or a "hotter" boom (making a shallow disk with a long non-tungsten nose, to minimize penetration and maximize energy transfer).

this is why we're friends. lol
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »
birdman always posts the coolest stuff.  And we don't have to pay him for it, either.  Win-win.  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »
birdman always posts the coolest stuff.  And we don't have to pay him for it, either.  Win-win.  =D

Awww. Thanks! :)

Don't worry, you pay for it...YOU WILL ALL PAY FOR IT.

Giggle...my earlier post said "penetration"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 01:49:56 PM »
Awww. Thanks! :)

Don't worry, you pay for it...YOU WILL ALL PAY FOR IT.

Giggle...my earlier post said "penetration"

Some of us already did. All those outlet cutouts...

Speaking of which, I need to buy some pretty 550 cord to cover the wires for that ODroid temp sensor project. And don't be surprised if you find that Molex crimper missing one of these days.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »
Some of us already did. All those outlet cutouts...

Speaking of which, I need to buy some pretty 550 cord to cover the wires for that ODroid temp sensor project. And don't be surprised if you find that Molex crimper missing one of these days.

That crimper isn't mine, it was part of the big equipment purchase for the current experiment, and gets sent back.  I might get all the stuff back early in January...we shall see.