makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Space X
« on: April 08, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/meganspecia/status/718543364380094464/video/1

They did it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Space X
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:28:18 PM »
Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is data.

It's cool that they managed to pull it off, but it remains to be seen if they can do it again -- and again and again -- reliably.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Space X
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:22:17 PM »
Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is data.

It's cool that they managed to pull it off, but it remains to be seen if they can do it again -- and again and again -- reliably.
Very true.  They've been improving each time,  though.  It is very encouraging.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
If it was an accident, the rocket sure chose a good piece of the vast ocean on which to land.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »
If it was an accident, the rocket sure chose a good piece of the vast ocean on which to land.

They've come close before.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 12:40:59 AM »
They've come close before.

Very close. The one where the leg collapsed, fix the leg design, call it a success and move on, which they did. Now, how much do I have to pay these people to accidentally hover that rocket over the house of someone i don't like?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »

The ship is important because it vastly reduces the fuel needed for the landing maneuver.

The Falcon 9 first stage can make it all the way back to Kennedy to land, but if it does that, the payload must be smaller, and/or it has to shoot for a much lower orbit. Higher orbits and larger payloads, they either have to just let the first stage be disposable, or make the ocean landing on the barge.

It's one of the most clear-cut distinctions you'll ever see between the government and the private sector the government tried to "save money" with reusable spacecraft in the Shuttle, and it wound up costing more than completely disposable boosters, and SpaceX took completely disposable boosters, and made them reusable at an estimated actual 30% savings.
I promise not to duck.