Author Topic: EPA topics merged  (Read 9255 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: EPA run amok
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:13 PM »
I've got another idea...EPA institutes regs restricting all these "pollutants," and creates a fine structure for violators.  They carefully draft this fine system so that it's less expensive to pay the fine than it is to actually fix the problem (which, as described above, is prohibitively expensive, or impossible).  EPA collects millions, maybe billions in fines, and Obama and Co. waive the income as a sollution to all problems, thus fixing the budget deficit and saving the economy.   [barf]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »
The main toxin in the U.S. today is big government, with big business close behind. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
I've often wondered . . . exactly what enforcement power does EPA have over states? Can they actually do anything beyond - maybe - having certain Federal funds cut off?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
I've often wondered . . . exactly what enforcement power does EPA have over states? Can they actually do anything beyond - maybe - having certain Federal funds cut off?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/25/texas-fights-global-warming-power-grab/?page=1

Now Washington is trying to federalize the air-permitting process and force Texas to ignore our state laws and the plain language of the Clean Air Act in order to allow an illegal rewriting of the federal statute.

The article is about the EPA's fight with Texas over allowing the EPA to regulate carbon-dioxide.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
If lead bullets are banned, then I guess I will need to send all mine to the govt for disposal  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
All they need to do is bury a law change for the EPA in the next mega bill that gets sent to the president, just like all the new taxes in the health care bill.  Let's say, one half of page 21,501 in a 27,000 page bill says that the sale, manufacture or possession of all lead products is banned.  Then they "find" this little nugget 6 months to a year after passage of the bill.   Then what?  The damage is done and it will take another 18+ months to remove that piece of tripe, if it can be removed.  After all, who wants to be known as the senator that removed a law that protected the children from the dangers of lead poisoning?  Remember, the "Assault Weapons Ban" only went away because nobody made a move to make it permanent.  If the Senate and Congress had to create legislation to make it go away we would still have it, not enough of them would have had the backbone to get rid of it.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
All they need to do is bury a law change for the EPA in the next mega bill that gets sent to the president, just like all the new taxes in the health care bill.  Let's say, one half of page 21,501 in a 27,000 page bill says that the sale, manufacture or possession of all lead products is banned.  Then they "find" this little nugget 6 months to a year after passage of the bill.   Then what?  The damage is done and it will take another 18+ months to remove that piece of tripe, if it can be removed.  After all, who wants to be known as the senator that removed a law that protected the children from the dangers of lead poisoning?  Remember, the "Assault Weapons Ban" only went away because nobody made a move to make it permanent.  If the Senate and Congress had to create legislation to make it go away we would still have it, not enough of them would have had the backbone to get rid of it.

Yep. The bureaucrats in the EPA can custom craft what they want for legislation and send it to Congress, which in the rush to enlarge government, will rubberstamp it and pass it into law.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »
The problem I bet is the law is so vague and general that it might allow too much interpretation. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: EPA topics merged
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 06:18:48 PM »
It looks like the EPA backed down on the lead ammo hunting ban.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/27/epa-rejects-calls-ban-lead-ammo-fishing-tackle/

MicroBalrog

• friend
All they need to do is bury a law change for the EPA in the next mega bill that gets sent to the presiden

A game two can play.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »
Seeker seems to have missed my post 2 posts down with a link already stating that the ban had been rejected...

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »
Seeker seems to have missed my post 2 posts down with a link already stating that the ban had been rejected...

Yes you did....but I said it with more style......  :cool:

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
...if we had anyone with the backbone to play it....  ;/

And why do you think is it that Republican politicians have less of a backbone than Dem politicians (if indeed that is true)?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
And why do you think is it that Republican politicians have less of a backbone than Dem politicians (if indeed that is true)?

Because they're all politicians.....

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »

I guess I need to buy some of that fancy Barnes solid copper stuff.  The ones that don't expand at all and are meant for African big game.  Rhino, African Wild ass and such.  Or maybe they'd prefer I stocked up on tungsten cores.

I see what you did there.
Look, tiny text!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
A game two can play.
A game two can play but none should play.

MicroBalrog

• friend
A game two can play but none should play.

That line has already been crossed.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
That line has already been crossed.

This.

It took parliamentary skulduggery to pass much of the architecture of the oppressive state.  It will require more of same to restore some liberty.

The alternative to hardball (Congressional) is hardball (FMJ).

Personally, I'd prefer hurt feelings and disturbing the collegiality of the Senate to the alternative.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 04:41:52 PM »
Headline: "EPA Surrenders to NRA on Gun Control Issue"

I'm so glad there's no bias in their reporting.  ;/

I'm just surpised they were honest that it was a blatant attempt at gun control.

They slipped up there.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2010, 03:36:22 AM »
Headline: "EPA Surrenders to NRA on Gun Control Issue"

I'm so glad there's no bias in their reporting.  ;/

So, which part of it is not true?

And why is the EPA surrendering to NRA bad? I'd think you'd want them to be doing as much surrendering as humanly possible.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 05:28:19 PM »
So, which part of it is not true?

And why is the EPA surrendering to NRA bad? I'd think you'd want them to be doing as much surrendering as humanly possible.

It's not bad, but you'll notice the way they use words and such to make it seem as the Big, Evil NRA uses overwhelming force against the poor innocent little EPA, who was just tryin' to help the animals....

That's why they used the word "surrender". That's why they use gun cliches when writing "articles".
"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 01:36:56 AM »
It's not bad, but you'll notice the way they use words and such to make it seem as the Big, Evil NRA uses overwhelming force against the poor innocent little EPA, who was just tryin' to help the animals....

That's why they used the word "surrender". That's why they use gun cliches when writing "articles".
"

Oderint dum metuant.