Author Topic: Effectiveness of Recall Efforts?  (Read 798 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Effectiveness of Recall Efforts?
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:55:54 AM »
I saw the story linked below regarding recalling anti-gun legislators in Colorado and was wondering what people's thoughts are on the political effectiveness of recall efforts.

I tend to look at them as a high odds gamble. If you can pull off not only the recall, but also get your candidate elected, winner, winner, chicken dinner. If you can't get enough signatures for a recall, or worse, you can, but your candidate loses to the recalled candidate, you've sidelined your cause.

In my mind it's better to wait for the next scheduled election and put all your effort into defeating the incumbent at that time. Even if you lose, I don't think it harms your position as badly as losing a recall election does. Not that people shouldn't still, using CO as an example, make phone calls, file lawsuits where appropriate, etc. In my opinion a lost recall is too big of a gamble that comes from being in a hurry. Revenge is a dish best served cold as they say.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/28/lawmakers-facing-recall-bids-over-strict-gun-laws-in-colorado/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Effectiveness of Recall Efforts?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »
Our county sheriff was successfully recalled some years back.

Unfortunately, it was a witch hunt  =(

Nobody ran against him.  He just got booted and the commissioners appointed the under-sheriff to serve out the term.  The temporary sheriff then ran for election and he is our current County Clown.  ;/

There were folks out on a corner with signs on the west side of Colorado Springs when I was down there a couple weeks ago.  =)  Something about "Moore" IIRC.  I presume that's one they are trying to recall.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
The one advantage is serving as a better vehicle/focal point for single-issue advocacy. Strategically, as you point out, there are risks.

Regardless, I got 20 PMAGs from Dick's forum buy, and Colorado's legislature can suck it. [ar15]
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »
compared with re-election campaigns, when incumbents face up to 75 percent likelihood of winning, Spivak said recall elections have a much lower rate of success for incumbents.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin